ML in Colorado Archery seasons

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
Considering all of the hunters in the outdoors each fall with a variety of weapons, this sounds like a classic case of developing solutions in search of problems. Let's not lose sight of the fact that al of this flared up because of one idiot who was not sure of his target and that is a cardinal rule for all weapons. The easiest way for the anti-hunter crowd to secure victory is to divide and conquer. Let's not let it happen to us. Remember, we are all sportsman and share a passion for the great outdoors. No need to help our real enemies.

sasquatch

WKR
Why do we need laws to force us? Leave as if, if YOU uncomfortable wear an orange, or just give up 9 days of YOUR hunt. Leave it to the people to decide for themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Why do we need laws to force us? Leave as if, if YOU uncomfortable wear an orange, or just give up 9 days of YOUR hunt. Leave it to the people to decide for themselves

Liberties, freedoms, and rights are quickly becoming a thing of the past. It's as if every idiot in the country is saying "Hey, look at this fine country we have here.......let's get involved, run for office, and screw it all up for everyone."

sasquatch

WKR
It's as if we have forgot how to take care of ourselves and have eased into a welfare state. We need big daddy gov to protect us!

Since archers don't have an orange requirement, they could even choose to wear blaze camo instead of solid.

And I definitely would not use a decoy on public land during a firearm season. That is asking for trouble.

Everyone should take responsibility for their own well being.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Everyone should take responsibility for their own well being.

The next step is to mandate the use of umbrella's when it's raining, because obviously most people are incapable of taking care of themselves. And that's not so far fetched from where we are right now. If the government is running our healthcare system, then they can also dictate what we can and can't do on our own since they have a vested interest in our health and costs associated with such. And hunting is a hazardous activity that may need more regulation or complete abolishing.

cgasner1

WKR
Maybe the ml guys don't want the last week of rather hunt the first week

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tdiesel

Lil-Rokslider
Look an idiot is an idiot. several years ago an archery hunter was shot with an arrow through his thigh wearing a bright yellow slicker. How that's even conceivable is beyond me. Idiots are everywhere but that doesn't stop me from going I guess If its my time at least I went doing what I love.

chindits

WKR
To the OP. My take is I don't want to lose a week of bow season as a bow hunter. My take is I don't mind ML hunters in the middle of sept. As an occasional ML hunter my take is any week from the beginning of archery season to turning 1st rifle season into ML is all fine. I'm actually in favor of eliminating any orange requirements during all seasons including rifle and let the cards fall where they may. We all have different levels of acceptable risk but why burden others with our personal limitations.

OP
C
Word has it it's going to go through. No archery during a certain timeframe when ML season taking place with Archery picking up behind it for another week or so.

dotman

WKR
Word has it it's going to go through. No archery during a certain timeframe when ML season taking place with Archery picking up behind it for another week or so.

So what about the special bear season that runs pretty much the entire archery season, will archery be from Aug 25th - Sep 1st?

cnelk

WKR
There is another popular Colorado 'bowsite' forum that has some recent updated info about this

Okbow87

Lil-Rokslider
So in addition to wearing orange we should also make it a requirement that every hunter must have binos or a spotter in their possession to be legally hunting? I completely understand your point and agree that firearm safety should be in grained in every hunter but it just is not. My thought process was that the scope would serve as a last line of defense for a mistaken shot not a first line.

No, I am simply saying that no hunter should point their weapon at something before they know what it is. Very simple way to keep accidents from happening.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to fight over seasons. I would love if you could just buy an ELK tag and hunt all the seasons. Many states are like this for a variety of species. This of course would mean that Colorado would have to sell many less tags but I for one would be willing to pay more. Getting to rifle hunt for 4 days sucks. IMHO the way CO manages elk needs a big update. It's a total money racket. Oh and on the orange thing....if you want to wear orange wear it....if not...don't.

OP
C
So what about the special bear season that runs pretty much the entire archery season, will archery be from Aug 25th - Sep 1st?

True, there are other firearms in the woods this time of year as mentioned but for whatever reason, the ML season is the one being taken to task here. Bullets are bullets, and I've made it clear in "my opinion" there are too many guns in the woods during the archery seasons as it is.

It's awful that a young boy lost his life due to carelessness. I couldn't even begin to imagine walking out of the woods to get help knowing your son was just shot dead. I'm sure the family is still fighting day to day with this and I can understand their motivations.

I for one will not miss ML's if in fact there is a re-shuffle. Several years ago, I was almost another victim in the woods during ML season. I mean, close. Good riddance to them they never should have been put there in the first place.

dotman

WKR
True, there are other firearms in the woods this time of year as mentioned but for whatever reason, the ML season is the one being taken to task here. Bullets are bullets, and I've made it clear in "my opinion" there are too many guns in the woods during the archery seasons as it is.

It's awful that a young boy lost his life due to carelessness. I couldn't even begin to imagine walking out of the woods to get help knowing your son was just shot dead. I'm sure the family is still fighting day to day with this and I can understand their motivations.

I for one will not miss ML's if in fact there is a re-shuffle. Several years ago, I was almost another victim in the woods during ML season. I mean, close. Good riddance to them they never should have been put there in the first place.

Pretty sure the CPW will have a public comment period before they make any changes, how do you know this is changing? For those that don't like the ML season during archery I would prefer you stay out of the woods that time instead of forcing me to because of your fear. I think many archers would rather see the people afraid off ML out of the woods then all to lose that season. I do think this could possibly create two archery seasons much like rifle has 50 now. Of course late archery will fully become a draw and early will be both draw and otc. This will turn into a big lose for archery guys in the end and ML only guys will be happy to have archery guys out of the woods.

I'll be archery hunting elk while others in my group ML deer and bear, this would ruin our tradition as we don't all switch up from archery, ML and Rifle in the Sep season but we all like to have a base camp together, this is another bs people thinking they need to make others safe issue if it goes through.

Last edited:

ColoradoV

WKR
Bad idea..

Status quo would be best...

I have had very little problem with Muzzy hunters in archery and enjoy hunting with family that uses muzzy's that week.

Now the biggest problem is the huge influx of long range shooting and guys ripping shells 500 - 1000+ yards across basins. As a archery deer hunter a "split" season would effectively end the archery deer hunts..

If it was to be implemented archers are going to have taken from them one of the best 9 days of the calendar and should not have to give up the best 2 weekends of the calendar year. Seems reasonable to cut down muzzy to one weekend if it is split or 7 days. Then give archers a extra week at the opener and at the end... Archers net gain a weekend and muzzy guys get the hills alone but only for one weekend. Put every single gun season that week and it might be a "solution".

I wonder what is the number of archery hunters compared to the number of muzzy hunters in Co? Seems reasonable to tailor any "solution" to displace the smallest amount of hunters...

lif

WKR
A few things to consider:
1. Colorados many season format is not the best season breakdown to begin with.
2. Archers who are afraid of sharing the woods with a firearm can decide to not be in the woods during the overlap.
3. All hunters, including archers, are carrying weapons that can kill a 1000 lbs animal.
4. Accidents can happen to any of us.
We should all be careful to judge and take cheap shots at each other over this. The family of the victim should do whatever it takes to grieve. Obviously we hope a mistake in the field doesn't effect everyone else attempting to hunt but let's not be so arrogant as to call accident victims idiots. It can can happen to you or me or your kid or your friend. Accidents can be avoided but not indefinitely. And last, the archery world has been catered to more and more. Let's not forget you get 3 weeks in the rut. I don't believe there are any rifle seasons that long in Colorado.

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I never understood why there's a special season for muzzleloaders. A muzzleloader is a rifle....there's a rifle season. If you want to use that kind of gear go ahead. If you're a traditional equipment style hunter then do your thing. Compound and Traditional Archery guys share the season, I don't see why muzzleloader should get special treatment.