Food Storage in the backcountry

For those guys that hike food in our your back and have a mobile camp. Where do you store your food at night? do you hang in tree, or leave in pack?

I will be taking heather's choice breakfasts and dinners with a few other items but not sure what best practice is in the mountains.

My gut tells me to store in a tree away from where we camp for the night but would like to know what you guys do

You didn't say where you will be hunting. Colorado, it's right next to me in my tent. Wake up, prepare my breakfast while still in my bag. Getting up, walking down to some tree sounds good on paper but would get old, real quick.

OP
P
You didn't say where you will be hunting. Colorado, it's right next to me in my tent. Wake up, prepare my breakfast while still in my bag. Getting up, walking down to some tree sounds good on paper but would get old, real quick.

My Bad!

I will be headed to Colorado, Archery season so Mid September, unit 53

hwy1strat

WKR
I used to leave my food away from camp and my trash in another area. Never had anything get into it so now I don't really worry about it too much. I still leave my trash outside about 20 yards away, so if anything does come through, I hope it gets into that and wakes me up

I got a shitty old beat up dry sack I hang a decent distance from my camp but were I can see it when approaching. Keep my trash and food in separate bags inside

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Early season I'll usually hang my food and trash 50-100 yards from camp. Late season (think rifle) it usually stays closer to camp, or in my tent. I haven't had to deal with any night time visitors yet. I think bear canisters are required in some parts of CO, so I'd double check the regulations for the area that you'll be in.

In Colorado, I sleep with it in my tent. Last season I even used my food sack as a pillow. I usually hang it or bring it with me during the day, depending on how much is left. I am probably more paranoid about something destroying my weeks worth of food and ending my hunt while hanging in a tree than I am having a black bear try to get into my tent while I am inside with the food.

FlyGuy

WKR
Last year was my first elk hunt. Car camped most nights, but spiked out alone one night. Was lazy and rushing, left my food bag in my tarp. Saw a bear about 1/4 - 1/2 mile later. Should have turned around and taken care of the food but i had a lot of miles to cover before dark. Got back to camp a couple hours after dark and that bear was 20 yards from my camp. He was gone as soon as my headlamp hit him. But, if I'd have come back maybe 10-30 min later I think my tarp would have been destroyed and my food gone, and id have been facing a long hike out. This year I'm packing in 3 miles and day hunting out from there. I will not be leaving 7-10 days of Food inside my tent. I'm not saying it's likely to have a problem, but I think it's just asking for trouble that found in need. Food will be in a bear bag in a tree. I'll only have one Ziploc of food (breakfast and snacks) for the next day loaded into my pack.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk