What do I do if it snows?

5milesback that's crazy. So guys is there a general rule of thumb as to how much snow you try to hunt in? When do you call it quits? Idahosandman said if it was 2 feet to head in.

I said head down. A few bulls will stay high but the majority will head down some to find easier food. Let the tracks tell you what's up. If the sign is just milling then they are sticking around, if lined out headed down, follow them. Hunting several states over the years it seems any snow over 2' will send them to a lower elevation. Now if you're already at a lower elevation, well then they'll tough it out.

ericF

WKR
In a perfect season, I would love 3 to 4 inches of snow the night before opening with clear skies the next day. Followed by an additional inch or two every night. The snow doesn't bother elk at all and they won't start moving down until it gets into the 2+ foot area. In 2013, we had about 12 inches on the ground by Thursday afternoon with another 6 inches to a foot by opening day on Saturday. It was a very good good hunting year. Just be prepared and have chains in case you need them to get out. If it snows the first day or two, there will probably be alot of melt off by time you get down the mountain at the end of the week. If all the snow is coming at the end of the week, then use common sense and decide whether you can get out or not.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always have camp in what I call snow mode. Guy lines taught gear organized and covered. Firewood covered.

Terrain determines when to call it for me. Assuming you're warm and dry I'd keep hunting. If visibility is minimal consider the chance of getting cliffed out. Hunting a high plateau is different than around the base of a peak.

Tire chains are a nice idea. My preference is to put them on when I first park. So much easier when the weather is nice. If possible park to where you can head straight out.

bbrown

WKR
Keep hunting!

Be sure to have tire chains (preferably a full set), chain saw or at least a bow saw and a tow strap or 2. Lots of beetle kill in that area (most of CO for the most part really) that will fall during windstorms so its not uncommon to have to cut your way in and again on the way back out. The roads in that area are decent for the most part when dry but can get a bit sketchy with any moisture. Drifting over roads can be a problem especially around the big open parks.

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
Traction devices on your boots in the snow are like having four wheel drive on your truck in the snow!!!!!!!!!!! You will be so much less fatigued wearing them it's not even funny! I carry them in the truck but don't pack them in because the likelihood of a heavy snow in archery season is very low, I also don't go in as far as you are talking either so I could get back to the truck for them if need be! Yak Trax are a cheap brand and Kahtoola are the best I know of, both will work, the Kahtoola will last a lot longer and you could always use them at home during an ice storm! I've hunted in foot'ish snow during rifle seasons with and without them, can't imagine going without them now!

All great advice from experienced guys. Our plan (after getting rained on the entire first week last season and snowed out the last week of last season last season)...Fire up the stove in the tipi and wait til it slows up. Head out for easier Spotting and tracks to follow. Heated shelters will always go up the Mtn with us after last years trip.

Vids

WKR
If you don't have a stove jack you are pretty much limited to a ventless propane heater, I believe. Make sure you buy something you can run in an enclosed space - carbon monoxide is a real issue. If you have a stove jack there are plenty of options out there for a small wood burning stove.

Vids

WKR
I think you will find that most ventless propane heaters are pretty heavy, but I haven't looked that closely at them. The biggest problem I had in the past was not being able to dry out clothes. During my first couple years in Colorado I bailed on a couple hunts after three days of snow and all my clothes ending up wet, that is why I own a wall tent and stove now.

One idea - Bring a tarp along that you can set up to create a small shelter and block the snow/wind and then build a fire under that to get everything dried out. If you have a snowstorm you can use that area during the day to dry out and warm up if the weather is too rough to hunt in.

If you have a good sleeping bag you don't need to worry about staying warm at night. I've been plenty warm in 10 degrees in my bag without any kind of heater going. It just sucks to get out of the bag and get dressed in the morning. :D If you have a warm bag and dry clothes you are 99% of the way there.

cnelk

WKR
Look for a Coleman Blackcat catalytic heater. They dont make them anymore but still available online
I have one and it works great for a tent - no CO2 and no open flames

Mrbillbrown, any suggestions on heaters that would work in a small 2 person backpacking tent? Google doesn't reveal many options.

I'm not sure because I've never researched it. Some of the threads I've run across say guys use their jetboil stoves or primus lanterns to throw a little heat in the mornings. Not sure there is a great backpacking stove version that's light enough or dependable enough for deep Backcountry backpack hunting.

***Be very careful running a non-wood-burning stove in a regular enclosed tent. Carbon Monoxide is odorless, tasteless, invisible and you wont know you're in trouble til it's too late.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Propane heat is moist heat. Not the best for drying out but better than nothing.

Don't waste your time with the mr. Buddy heaters. The have have a low oxygen sensor and not recommend above 7500ft. I imagine similar heaters are the same.

There as a good thread last year about getting propane heaters to work at high elevation. I like the tarp idea. If you do go propane I recommend a canvas tarp ( if you can pack it) less prone to melting from fire Amber's and breath better so less chance of condensation dripping down.

ericF

WKR
Propane heat is moist heat. Not the best for drying out but better than nothing.

Don't waste your time with the mr. Buddy heaters. The have have a low oxygen sensor and not recommend above 7500ft. I imagine similar heaters are the same.

There as a good thread last year about getting propane heaters to work at high elevation. I like the tarp idea. If you do go propane I recommend a canvas tarp ( if you can pack it) less prone to melting from fire Amber's and breath better so less chance of condensation dripping down.

The Mr Buddy heaters can be hit or miss. The documentation says that they may not work at elevation and i've heard people have issues, but I've used mine up at 10,000 and even 11,000 feet. They take a little longer to start, but mine and my buddies full size have both worked at elevation. Anytime you have propane running it is a good idea to have a carbon monoxide detector. It seems like every year we lose a couple hunters to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Ryan2782

FNG
Great advice above. If snow or rain looks to be the forecast, even though high mountain weather is never known, and you can get snow when the weather says it's going to be a good weather day. Makes it exciting though. I would consider a second pair of boots if you can handle the weight. To me walking through the snow or rain in went boots is manageable the first day. But to me, putting my feet in boots that are wet, or only partially dry the next morning one of the worst things for me personally.

kbuechl

FNG
If it snows hard you could always head back out a ways to get out of it some, assuming it is also pushing the elk down.

Weather here has been really weird the last 2 years. End of archery last year it was starting to snow the last few days, but 2nd rifle I strapped my orange blaze around my pack and spent most of the week hunting without a shirt on because it was so damn hot out. I would make sure you have a solid day pack set up with a tarp for emergency shelter (trecking poles can be used to make a fast shelter too)

Baerman

FNG
enjoy your hunt. that is prime time! Just take the right gear and be prepared.

njdoxie

WKR
For me, camping in snow is a pita. And hunting steep terrain in snow is a pita. I much prefer sure footing and the easier camping of a snow free season. When it snows, I become vey concerned with keeping dry and not slipping and hunting takes a back seat. Lucky for me, I rarely encounter snow during Colorado rifle seasons and the last few seasons have been warm.