What do I do if it snows?

I'm heading to unit 68 in Colorado, first rifle season. Elevation from 10-12k. I plan to pack in 5-6 miles, set up camp, and hunt from there. What do you guys do if you get a significant amount of snow, say a foot or so? I'll be driving from eastern Oklahoma for my first backpack hunt so I want to make the most of the hunt regardless of conditions. Thanks in advance!

Many may like snow, I think it throws a wrench into things. The first rifle season is short, so if you get that kind of snow, they will be holed up for a day or until it breaks in my opinion and this can take away a day or more. This is what I've seen in archery season as well as that first rifle with my brother. If you get a good sun after that passes through they'll be out and about.

Lastly, it sucks getting wet when you're packed in like that. You boots will be wet from walking in the snow, and then frozen shut the next AM most likely if you don't have a form of heat.

It is what it is, but pray you don't get it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree with above. Also animals know in advance of a major storm somehow. They might be held up for a day when the weather is still fine until it passes. On the bright side it's nice that snow will leave tracks.

Gaiters will be worth twice what you paid for them. Rain gear is also snow gear. You want to minimize your exertion enough that you aren't sweating buckets, yet high enough to stay warm. Keep moving at a moderate pace. Pace around your tripod if glassing.

Sorry I'm going more comfort than hunting but considering the distance you're packing in if a storm hits hunting takes a back seat to survival.

muddydogs

WKR
What do I do when it snows? I cover as much ground as I can trying to cut fresh tracks especially if the elk aren't talking. Bring on the snow.

Glassing after snow can be very good too. You'll want to make sure you can drive your truck out if parked high though.

Pfft, snow is no biggie. Esp only a foot. Hunt hard the day before, game will be moving heavy. If snowing real hard and windy during the day I'd just hunker down and wait till the next day after the storm, game will be moving like crazy. I love it when it snows, always kill quality animals when it does. Don't be afraid to start a fire to get clothes/boots dry. Put up an emergency blanket to reflect the heat from the flames, gear will be dry in no time. Now 2foot plus, head down asap, the game will as well.

rayporter

WKR
if it looks like a storm cover up all gear as well as your water.

generally in the first season the snow will melt off in 4 or 5 days. if there is enough snow to move game lower you will know it. in a day or so they will be right back.

Vids

WKR
Good advice above. I love a snowstorm in first season. A decent rule of thumb - if you're miserable and getting wet, snow blowing sideways, etc, just head back to camp and wait it out. The animals are likely hunkered down and not moving anyways. Make sure you're out there the day after though, they will be moving like crazy. Plus you have the benefit of seeing tracks and spotting brown animals against a white background.

Also agree on gaiters and rain gear, and you'll be much happier if you have a stove in that tent to dry clothes out.

N2TRKYS

WKR
It would be my luck to pack that far in and that high and the snow has pushed them down to lower elevation.

Good luck.

1signguy

WKR
Possibly move the tent to a more protected area out of the wind, gather fire wood, and relax... if it's more than 10-12 inches or longer than a day I am making tracks for the trail head. After the storm I can head back in well rested and cut tracks...

JordanH

Lil-Rokslider
I had a foot fall overnight and into the next day last archery season up in 34. I covered alot of ground and cut no tracks. I bailed that afternoon as only one day left and did not want to get stuck up there. Snow was do heavy and deep it pushed a foot in on each side of my tent. It was a mess. I imagine the elk might have been moving that next day or the next after but at that point I'd had a good long season and it was time to call the ball. Plus getting down was a concern.....turned out fine but you never know......

cnelk

WKR
1997 - 1st Season at 10,500 - Snowed over a foot opening evening, more higher up.
Relocated to lower elevation at snow line to find elk

Not a fan of snow, especially 1st Season when its only 5 days

Attachments

• Green wall tent.jpg
    Green wall tent.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 154

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I was younger we used to pray for snow for our hunting trips. These days I'd prefer warm dry weather, both because snow is a nuisance and I'm a better hunter in warm dry weather.

Here's a pic I've always loved that I found on the Davis Tent website several years ago. I wouldn't doubt it if this was the 1984 "Snowbowl" first rifle season, as we were out in that as well.......and this is pretty much what it looked like. Snow was up to my hips on flat ground and I have a 38" inseam.

Attachments

• snowtent.jpg
    snowtent.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 172
OP
Huntingpreacher
5milesback that's crazy. So guys is there a general rule of thumb as to how much snow you try to hunt in? When do you call it quits? Idahosandman said if it was 2 feet to head in.