Elk calls for a beginner

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
What calls do you guys recommend to a beginner elk caller? I am decent with a diaphragm turkey call, though I'm sure it's very different. I have no idea where to start. Thanks

big44a4

WKR
Get a diaphragm and mess around with them while driving to work etc. The primos diaphragms are a easier to use than others for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I am not a seasoned elk caller at all but have chased a turkey or 3 and I think cow calls are most similar to reversing a kee from a kee kee series. In other words reversing tongue pressure and reducing air flow but not dumping the note like a yelp.

Netherman

WKR
I was in the same boat last year. from my experience compared to turkey sounds elk sounds are a lot easier. They are more of a whistle than the chop of a turkey call. As far as which call, I really like the raging bull call from rocky mountain game calls and would recommend that to start. For turkey calls I hate the dome calls but found them easier to use for elk sounds.

After becoming more proficient with elk calling I am really liking the Phelps game calls monster (ghost cut). Starting out I would try and stay with clean reeded calls (no cuts) just like turkey calls it's harder to know if you are making the correct sounds with the rasp in the way. Fit is pretty important so I'd try a few brands / sizes. I use the Primos hook hunter calls turkey hunting and the Raging Bull and Phelps Monster medium frame are pretty similar in size. I didn't really like the Primos elk calls.

I'll second the practice while driving to work. I'd also recommend a calling CD or two to practice with. I have the Primos and ElkNut CDs. I liked the Primos CD a little better to learn and then ElkNut's better for practice.

Good Luck

Nick

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you can work a turkey reed without any problems, then elk reeds won't be an issue for you. The problem is that there are so many different sizes and shapes that it takes some trial and error to find the ones that work the best for you.

ElkNut1

WKR
Nick, thanks but we do not have a CD on how to use mouth reeds? We do have a DVD called Mastering Elk Calls, you most likely have the CD's we offer on other instructional info? I will have to say that there's no better DVD out there that has the info this DVD has to learn mouth reed use, how to select the right mouth reed & how to make the various Cow & Bull sounds! For a very good starter reed consider the Mellow Yellow, it's as user a friendly a reed that can be found!

There's two sizes of reeds available on today's market, 1/2" & 5/8" -- Most hunters require a 1/2" - I'd start with that one without a doubt! Once a caller becomes comfortable with his reed of choice it becomes much easier to use about any reed out there, it's that we as hunters will prefer a certain one over another, it ends up being a personal choice once you have the basics down!
Mastering Elk Calls - ElkNut Outdoor Productions

ElkNut/Paul

Elk sounds are easier than turkey. The diaphragms with a dome or pallet plates or the new Phelps AMP calls hep get the volume needed.

I just ordered a Rocky Mountain rock star off of Amazon. No way to shop for calls around here without ordering. I'll let you know how tough it is for me once it comes in. I also bought a $5 wiggle ball bat that I am going to rig up as a bugle tube for now. Figure I can get some decent practice in and save $ until it is time for the real thing.

Netherman

WKR
Nick, thanks but we do not have a CD on how to use mouth reeds? We do have a DVD called Mastering Elk Calls, you most likely have the CD's we offer on other instructional info? I will have to say that there's no better DVD out there that has the info this DVD has to learn mouth reed use, how to select the right mouth reed & how to make the various Cow & Bull sounds! For a very good starter reed consider the Mellow Yellow, it's as user a friendly a reed that can be found!

There's two sizes of reeds available on today's market, 1/2" & 5/8" -- Most hunters require a 1/2" - I'd start with that one without a doubt! Once a caller becomes comfortable with his reed of choice it becomes much easier to use about any reed out there, it's that we as hunters will prefer a certain one over another, it ends up being a personal choice once you have the basics down!

ElkNut/Paul

Good point. I was thinking of your sounds by the elk CD. Not an instructional CD but good to practice with.

Nick

541hunter

WKR
The Phelps amp frame is by far the easiest to learn and use in my experience.

ElkNut1

WKR
Nick, yes that CD is the various sounds both Cows & Bulls make, it's designed to be accompanied by the Playbook. The Playbook describes those sounds & defines them as to the message elk are sending with a specific sound. It then goes into methods & techniques for each sound. It has little to do with mouth reed use! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the info so far!! I'll order a few to start with and get after it. I do a lot of driving at work so I'll have a good amount of time to practice. Any suggestion for bugle tubes? Are they all pretty standard? Thanks

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
Berry thunder bugle.
I didn't have a problem learning to make locator bugles or young bull bugles. I got some bulls fired up right at daylight on the first day. I was putting the sneak on the closest one when a 5x5 walked right in front of me. He didn't make it:)

mvmnts

WKR

ElkNut/Paul

When are you going to offer this DVD as a digital download? I don't even have a DVD player in my home anymore.

ElkNut1

WKR
All our DVD sets including the Mastering Elk Calls DVD come with an MP3 Disc, they can be listened to as a CD or downloaded onto your computer & uploaded in seconds to your Iphone! Hope this helps! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
Checkout rocky Jacobson How to use a Diaphragm Call - YouTube

With mews and bugles it's all about pressure. Also Corey did a good job explaining it in elk101

I went with rocky mtn game calls and bought a few sizes and latexs to see what worked best for me.

For turkey I didn't like the domes but for elk I do. As I get better it probably won't matter

Swede

WKR
The Berry Thunder Bugle is easy to use and sounds great. A bite an blow call like the Thunder Bugle is not quite as versatile as a diaphragm, but is more than adequate for most situations. You can have a small bite and blow cow call to go with the Thunder Bugle to supplement. There are several available the can get the job done for you. I like the Jones Cow Call.

nvgoosehntr

Lil-Rokslider
I just tried the new AMP frames from Phelps and am amazed how easy the blow. I got the white, grey and green and they all blow easy but I seem to like the white the best. After listening to Jason on a podcast I think that that I over blow the call so the white works best for me. I also use the Rocky Mountain calls, the Rockstar and the new Contender call and they work great too.

fap1800

Lil-Rokslider
I've only been using diaphragms a few years now, but I would recommend the Mello Yellow Momma. It's the one I've had the most luck with and picked it up pretty quickly when first starting out. It also produces a pretty decent bugle. I recently picked up The Challenge and Raging Bull, both singles, and am adequate with those as well.