Little Help...

Wojo14

WKR
I was planning on doing an elk hunt next year.
However, I have a small window of opportunity in Mid Sept to possibly fly out and spend about 4-5 days looking for an elk.
I would love to at least see some and I would even try to take a cow.
I and a Bowhunter and OTC archery is what I am looking for.
I did not start researching areas yet, because I planned on going fall 2018.
I am just an Eastern whitetail hunter wanting to experiance the West!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~Wojo

Tejasbow

FNG
1. You have to be in shape and ready. Mentally and physically. If you are not at this point getting there in that short of time would be tough.
2. 4-5 days of boots on the ground is not very long not knowing the country.
3. There are some great gear list for backpack elk hunting on this forum. You are going to spend 1 to 2k if you start from scratch on back packing gear. Probably closer to 2 with you not being able to watch for bargains.

It can be done but you've got a tall Bill to fill. The actual shooting of an elk is 1/100th of what goes in to a diy hunt.

If I was you I would focus on a unit that you think you'd like to hunt gets some maps start planning a hike and gets some boots on the ground this year to get a leg up on next year.

No practical experience yet but I have been planning for over a year for an upcoming rifle season and still have ground to cover. I'm probably overthinking certain aspects, but there is no shortage of things to consider.

The biggest thing I would tell you to think about is enough time to get acclimated. I will be hunting around 12,000 feet and plan to take 3 days to get to that elevation and another few before I feel anything close to what I do at sea level.

Backpack, basecamp, or day hunts?

The amount of gear you will need for a backpack hunt is crazy. I am still adding pieces and my wife has about had it with me.

A base camp hunt you can get away from as expensive of gear, but you'll be flying so that makes it difficult.

Day hunts are probably your best bet as you can move areas more easily and you can go light on gear. If you rent an SUV you can sleep in it at the trail head and be about as far ahead.

I have done spontaneous, short time line trips before and they are a blast. Not sure I would do one on such an expensive tag and airline fees.

If money isn't as big of an issue I'd say grab your bow and go. The worst that happens is you get to spend a few days huffing and puffing around the mountains.

bounds

WKR
If you've got the money and time to go do it... GO DO IT. You will never regret going. Regardless of what happens, it will give you experience and knowledge that is hard to replicate short of getting in the game.

With babies, a limited budget and the company I work for changing hands this fall, I'm not getting to go elk hunting. It literally feels like a weight on my chest every time I think about it, which is a lot. Don't pass up an opportunity when it's attainable, you'll regret it one day.

Last edited:
OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Ok, Let me clear up some stuff.
I have all the gear, I been gathering it all up over the years. I did a moose hunt and back country hunt for bear.
I have been fitness hiking for over a year. Long and short hikes with weight.
I am good on that end.
I know scouting and research is important for elk or any animal, Maybe another animal would fit the bill..
~Wojo

Vids

WKR
My $.02 - Go, absolutely. But with very little time to research don't expect to shoot anything, or even get close to any. However, you could get lucky so it's still a possibility. You will gain a ton of valuable experience and information for next year when you can fully plan for it.

ST52v

WKR
Go!!! My brother moved to Casper Wy a few years ago. After a year there he had a full week off work and headed to a spot on the map. The first morning, under half mile from the truck, he killed his first bull after making a few cow calls. He was driving back home before dark, all solo. Just never know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ryan2782

FNG
Everybody already said it best, Just get out and hunt. Worst case scenario, you don't get the animal your after. Best case scenario, you now know the area for the next time you are out. Going after moose and bear, it sounds like you should be okay with the over all hunting aspect and covering ground. Hopefully find elk and get in there after them. I would start getting your elk calls now and start practicing. You don't need to be perfect on the calls, but you do need to know how to use and understand them. Remember too when learning, every elk sounds different.

I would say go with the mentality it's a 4-5 day camping and scouting trip.
Even with an unfilled tag you will have a great time and learn a lot of things that will make the net time easier.

FlyGuy

WKR
Yes, go. You'll have a great time. Treat it like an intense scouting trip for your 2018 hunt. Even if you don't find an elk, you will have a far better understanding of the area, the pressure, the access roads (and where the elk aren't)

gabenzeke

WKR
Go! The first time I went all I could think about was how stupid it was to wait as long as I did. I came from iowa and got into elk on the 2nd day. Could've shot cows and probably should have but didn't. Still an experience I'll never forget.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Apply for an additional cow tag in Wyoming for one of the areas with good access, lower cost tag and cows are usually easier to find. Then you can buy a PP for another year, maybe get a tag for the same area again and hunt a bull.
Sept cow hunt might also get you some antelope hunting in, doe tags again are easier to fill and lower cost. Could find an area close to your cow hunt and bring home 2 different kinds of meat.
General areas in Wyoming are not bad hunts.

DIY HNTR

FNG
I'm limited on funds this year because I'm taking the wife and 6 of our kids to Disney World in October. (yes I said 6 kids, we actually have 7, but one finally moved out this year) So instead of a actual hunt this year, I am flying to Colorado to scout for my 2018 hunt. 2018 will be my first elk hunt. This will be my first time out West. I grew up in Wisconsin, but I live in Georgia now. I got a cheap ticket for about $100 from Frontier. I'm renting a truck for the 5 days I'll be there. I'll only have about 3 full days of scouting because I'm driving 2 of the 5 days to my area and to the airport from my area. The area im looking at is 7 hours from the airport. I'll be driving out there next year for my hunt, instead of flying. Not looking forward to a 27 hour drive, but I don't see how flying is a viable option if you down an elk.

I have all my gear already, and took time to get high quality gear. Cry once as they say, but truthfully i got almost everything half price or less by buying multiple items on clearance and reselling enough to pay for my own item.

I was just going to wait until next year to go, but I decided it was worth going and putting boots on the ground and getting a good idea of what I'm getting into. I have several spots picked out if my primary spot doesn't pan out. I'm just planning on having fun and seeing if I can get into some elk. This will also give me a good feel for the area for my actual hunt, and I'll see how crowded it might be during September. I'm going the 18th-22nd of September. Just go and have fun. It'll be worth the trip either way. I can't think of a better place to be anyways. I'd much rather be on a mountain than at work.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
Good plan. You'll know how well your sleep system and clothing measures up and gain some great knowledge of the area. Bring your calls and work on locating and set ups. Single person calling can be tough, but If you don't have a tag you'll probably have a 350" bull walk up and kiss you on the mouth.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

DIY HNTR

FNG
Good plan. You'll know how well your sleep system and clothing measures up and gain some great knowledge of the area. Bring your calls and work on locating and set ups. Single person calling can be tough, but If you don't have a tag you'll probably have a 350" bull walk up and kiss you on the mouth.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Lol I told my wife the same thing! I said watch I won't have a tag or my bow and a big bull is gonna walk right up...