Cabin rental for elk trip?

I am hopefully heading to Colorado next year or in 2019 for my first elk hunt. While I would like to do a base camp with a simple tent and the necessities, the folks I may end up going with are not into camping out the way I am. One of the guys in the group lives in Colorado and has a good idea of where to go, and he was batting around the idea of renting a cabin. Have any of y'all done something like this before? I would think that it would create logistical problems as far as needing to leave pretty early to hit the trail head and getting in pretty late. Also, does anyone know what it would typically cost? I would think that you could potentially buy a wall tent for the same price as a week long cabin rental...

wytx

WKR
Look into Forest Service cabins, they are very affordable and sometimes have running water and a shower. One would make a good base camp for cheap then you could have a tent for spike camp. Did this one year in Wyoming and had a nice place to sleep and a full kitchen with stove and frig, heated too. You may find a Guard station or work camp cabin in a great area to hunt.

Also check out Yurts. Basically a cabin with fabric walls.

It is a lot easier to get up early after a good night's sleep in warm, dry bedding. Not a terrible idea at all.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
All depends on how far from a trailhead you plan to hunt and how far the trailhead is from the cabin. A 20min drive to a trailhead if you're only planning to need to be 1mi in for first light is a different story than wanting to be in 3-4mi at first light. In the latter I like to spike camp and save the morning and night hikes which cut into eat/sleep time. Sure I sleep better on a mattress than a camp pad but being in my tent 15min after dark to eat a quick dinner and sleep is easier than hiking out a couple hours. Pros/cons.

Most of our trailhead hunting is via truck campers though, I'm sure a cabin would be plush if it didn't add extensively to travel times in the wee hours.

Last edited:

brn2hnt

WKR
What season you talking about here? We rent cabins for 3rd season, and the difference between us and the guys camping out of wall tents is noticeable. Big difference in energy level when you get a hot shower every night and don't freeze when you gotta crap in the middle of the night. That being said, I wouldn't consider it archery season, not cold enough for me to warrant it. Our cabins are $110ish a night. Not too bad when split between two guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
Rented a cabin in CO last year for 4 during 3rd rifle, super comfortable, so much that a couple guys chose to imbibe too much and stay in the next day! We were comfortable but didnt kill anything, not going the same path this year. Like said previously if you are close to trailhead great, warm showers are priceless at the end of a long day, just don't lose sight of your goal.

530Chukar

WKR
Rented a FS cabin in Montana last year at $35 a night. It was great compared to the wall tent that we were in the first few days. You can book them on the recreation.gov website. Some of the forests may not have any though.

OP
Gerard Marcaurele
What season you talking about here? We rent cabins for 3rd season, and the difference between us and the guys camping out of wall tents is noticeable. Big difference in energy level when you get a hot shower every night and don't freeze when you gotta crap in the middle of the night. That being said, I wouldn't consider it archery season, not cold enough for me to warrant it. Our cabins are $110ish a night. Not too bad when split between two guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be either muzzleloader or first rifle. Not too sure what to expect, but if it helps I think they want to hunt near grand junction.