CO late Sept Elk gear list

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
First hunt out west and finally finished crunching the numbers on my gear list. What do y'all think?

IMG_1849.jpg

cle7ojh.jpg

oldgoat

WKR
Looks good, but if this season is like last, make sure you have sunscreen and a pair of shorts and short sleeve shirt, but it's a much cooler wet August than last year so who knows what the end of September will look like! But no kidding, a couple tubes of chapstick with sunscreen and not all of them have sunscreen so check, took a week for my lips to heal last year because I didn't check. I'm fair skinned to so I have been using that scentless sunscreen from Dead Downwind that comes in a tube like chapstick but bigger. I didn't see rain gear on the list, if the weather doesn't change you are going to want some, but I imagine it will change by then. I personally just use my rain jacket to keep warm, sees double duty that way but I'm also only maybe 2 hours from campsite to front door if I need to rethink gear for a cold snap!

2nd the rain gear. Also didn't see a beanie, glassing pad, or a camp knife. I like a light merino beanie to use in the mornings/night. The glassing pad also doubles as a cushion to eat at camp or when I have to have my knees on rocks. I also take a light weight pocket knife that I leave at camp for camp chores. Personal preference on those items.

Tsnider

WKR
yeah plan for rain, last year got nasty where im at! sleet, rain, thunder, and COLD. and that was 2nd weekend. i agree with oldgoat, we have been getting a lot of rain which can change but its starting to feel like fall early this year. but its Colorado and could get back to 90

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I have rain gear I guess I left it off the packed clothes list. Beanie will probably be on me on the hike in so it wasnt included. I've been thinking about a glassing pad so it may get added as well

I was thinking about the sunscreen and chap stick but never got around to researching it for the unscented. Good thinking!

oldgoat

WKR
I have rain gear I guess I left it off the packed clothes list. Beanie will probably be on me on the hike in so it wasnt included. I've been thinking about a glassing pad so it may get added as well

I was thinking about the sunscreen and chap stick but never got around to researching it for the unscented. Good thinking!

I don't really worry about the unscented part, just happen too like the DDW, the sunscreen stick lasted me through a couple weeks, just use regular chapstick, if the elk can smell that, they can smell me so it don't matter!

One thing I always have is a duffel bag in the truck with my late season gear. Schnees pack boots, heavy wool pants, boot chains, even snowshoes! You just never know when you might get a crazy cold snap or snow especially as you get toward October. The way I look at it there is no additional cost associated with having this stuff in the truck. If there were inclimate weather while hunting or while hauling elk quarters out you are never all that far from the truck but you're probably a long way from home!

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
Being from a state where none of that is ever required any part of the year I don't think I'll be purchasing it for my first trip out west. Not when I have tons more stuff to get still.

Still a good idea for those that may have those kinds of things.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another pair of socks, just nice to have three pair Incase it's wet from rain or snow.

ChrisS

WKR
Binos or are you just running with the rangefinder?

Bring allen wrenches as needed and couple of field tips (for target practice), a small game head (those grouse like to sit still for you). I also have a couple of compasses with me: a regular one and pin-on ball compass for grabbing a bearing and get on my way. GPSs can fail and iPhones especially can go from 90% battery to zero if they get too cold.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
my partner is running binos and possibly spotting scope and i'm just running rangefinder

allen wrenches for sure!

anybody got any recommendations on small game heads? that wont break the bank?

i've got a small little spherical compass that will tell me the direction i'm headed on my backpack. other than that i'm useless with one. my partner is a former forward observer in the army so he's handling that department!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
What degree bag is your cats meow? I know Late September at 10200 feet last year we got hit with a freeze. Id be planning for Cold Temps at night at that elevation You may want to consider a warmer bag then the Cats Meow. I have one but its only a 40 degree bag. Its more of a Summer time bag for me.

The iPhone 7 will make a great GPS Just get Gaia Maps loaded on it and pay for the subscription so you can download the offline maps. It works fantastic and can even lead you back to your camp after dark when you and your hunting partner are split up. You want to make sure you have some sort of navigation. As hard as we try to stay together we always get split up and if your not sure on your direction your going to be frustratingly lost out there trying to find your buddy or get back to camp. I use this on every hunt. First thing when I arrive at Where we are calling our camp I will drop a pin on it so I can always get back to camp.
Trust me being lost in the woods on the side of a mountain when everything starts looking the same is no fun and can get scary fast ;) Make sure you have your own way to navigate and not rely solely on your buddy.

That would be my advice. Im really no good with a compass either but having some basics will help you trememdously. Its easy to learn lots of vids on youtube about navigation and how to get yourself out of a situation. Ive learned a lot from it. Also if you and your buddy are running the same maps program Garmin, Gaia, google ect. its easy to pass back and forth locations so you can always find him or he can find you.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
my bag is the 20* version. i've got leggings and jacket to sleep in if i need to stay warmer. and being a floorless shelter i could always turn my stove on for a few seconds to warm it up.

he doesnt have a tag so theoretically we should be close together. but yea i'll poke around and see what i can find for nav. i watched the gritty bowmen two they had a year or so ago. just forgot most of it though

i downloaded the OnX maps for Colorado last night and have been playing with it. currently have approx 200 square miles saved now i'm gonna start saving the maps of our backup locations (i.e. a different OTC unit)

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
my bag is the 20* version. i've got leggings and jacket to sleep in if i need to stay warmer. and being a floorless shelter i could always turn my stove on for a few seconds to warm it up.

he doesnt have a tag so theoretically we should be close together. but yea i'll poke around and see what i can find for nav. i watched the gritty bowmen two they had a year or so ago. just forgot most of it though

i downloaded the OnX maps for Colorado last night and have been playing with it. currently have approx 200 square miles saved now i'm gonna start saving the maps of our backup locations (i.e. a different OTC unit)

That works then. Good luck out there and remember to have fun. Take lots of Aspirin Ibuprofen your gonna need it for the hike. Also think about taking something for altitude sickness since your coming from sea level. it kicks more folks butts then you can imagine who come from sea level. Take it slow first few days till your body adjusts. Drink a lot of water also even if your not thirsty. Altitude makes folks feel like they are not thirsty a lot and can quickly take you down if your not drinking enough. Glad you thought about drink mixes that will help a lot. Im not a big water fan either and require something to go with my water.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
went to the doctor 2 weeks ago

steroid shot day before we leave for my old football injury
meloxicam if it flares up
diamox for altitude to start taking the day we leave

oldgoat

WKR
my partner is running binos and possibly spotting scope and i'm just running rangefinder

allen wrenches for sure!

anybody got any recommendations on small game heads? that wont break the bank?

i've got a small little spherical compass that will tell me the direction i'm headed on my backpack. other than that i'm useless with one. my partner is a former forward observer in the army so he's handling that department!
These little small game heads are awesome, the little arms on them will break off if they hit something hard but the rest of the head will stay intact pretty well and for the price who cares if the little arms shear off occasionally. The seller also has some other sizes and styles of heads available if you look at his other items.
Look at this on eBay Small Game Broadhead Ultra Accurate Arrow Tip | eBay

Edit: I've only used these with trad equipment and the slower speeds they shoot so I can't tell you how they will work from a real high speed arrow but I used to shoot similar heads when I used compound and they flew good enough for the short ranges I would use blunts at!

Last edited:

bwlacy

WKR
Gators, trekking poles, melatonin, or Tylenol pm, paper back book, camera (or use phone). Some items I just thought of, I'm sure I'm forgetting some also.

OP
B

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still considering gaiters haven't decided yet. Funds are getting low with and the knock knacks are adding up

Trekking poles will be in my hands so wasn't considering that in pack weight. But 14.5 oz for 2 hiker hunger carbons

Good call on the melatonin. Although last time I took it I had some trippy dreams. Still better to take it.

Trying to convince my wife to let me take her Nikon point and shoot but apparently she's let her friend borrow it for the last year and half.