The Importance of Burns?

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys,
So my Father and I are heading to Idaho in four weeks for a elk hunt, with the new wildfire layer on OnXmaps I've notice that the area that we're heading to has had no burns within hiking distance. So my question is how important is it to have burns in our area? Should we move locations and find an area with burns or does our current area still hold some potential without burn areas? Thanks again!

I have had this same question and here's my experience. I have hunted areas without a burn and found a ton of elk in the area. In September, the heads of drainages and meadows can be very productive. I like hunting burns too but as long as there isn't a burn close by that's pulling animals, it's probably not going to hurt you to not hunt a burn. I asked two biologists if burns were significantly preferred and they said burns and meadows, etc. are good.

ElkNut1

WKR
Count your lucky stars there are no burns in your area! They are no fun in so many respects! They are dirty, you can see through them a long ways & the ground can be littered with downfall crap throughout depending on how hot it was. You also need to be aware of burned standing trees that could come down in the slightest winds. When given a choice I'll stay away from burned areas. At least give them a full year or 3 & the foliage can come back 10 fold!

ElkNut/Paul

Swede

WKR
I agree a lot with what Elknut wrote, but will add some thoughts to consider. There is a lot of variety in burn areas. Some were very hot and leave a near moonscape in places. Others are only lightly burned and have numerous of unburned islands. As Paul wrote it is best to wait until the area has healed a little or a lot. Dirty burns where there is a lot of vegetation and other woody material left, can green up and be good the next year. Areas that burned hotter will be seeded with good palatable grasses and be better in a year or two. Whenever you hunt around dead trees (snags) you are at risk. I have been in the forest several times when it is completely calm and have had one come down. It is unnerving to say the least. Certainly stay away from any active fire operations.

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the answers guys! I had to laugh when I pulled up the filter on the map, i picked the one spot in the unit dead center where there have been zero burns. Glad to know that they're not absolutely critical, I'll be keeping my eyes open for any meadows and other viable food sources.