Colorado Unit 66 Muzzy

lineman21

FNG
I had a bit of good fortune today. My job initially didn't grant me my vacation request for my annual archery hunt in Colorado but last week the boss man told me that I could take a week if I still wanted to. So on short notice I initially decided not to go but I started watching the reissue tags occasionally this week. A unit 66 muzzy tag popped up today and I snatched it up. I'm pretty pumped. I know its a 2nd tier unit in Colorado, behind the 61, 76, 2, 201s of the state, so I'm hoping for better action than my usual OTC archery unit.

I've got a topo map on order and working to convert my muzzleloader setup to be legal for Colorado. I have a late Arizona tag so I've been working conditioning pretty religiously. I basically no nothing about the unit however. I'm reaching out here to see if anyone who is familiar with Unit 66 would be willing to visit with me. I am planning to get there a day early to find a camp spot and get after finding a place to go. This short notice hunt will be an adventure for sure. Just being able to go makes it successful already in my book. Thanks!

ElkNut1

WKR
Never hunted the unit but have fun & good luck!

P.S. hunt where others don't, stay mobile, have at least 6 areas picked out to hunt before you even get there. Your topos will help you choose them! If you haven't already, consider getting our ElkNut APP, it will come in very handy in those calling situations! Between covering new ground daily in search of elk & glassing/calling you will find hunt-able elk! Don't neglect calling an hour before daylight every 1 mile if needed, do it till you find them or it gets to be an hour after daylight! One or two days of this if needed is your ace in the hole!

ElkNut/Paul

Thomas11

WKR
I think this would be a great hunt! I would be packing somewhere in one of the two wilderness areas. And be up high

I would call the local Parks and Wildlife officer and ask him what areas are frequented by outfitters. 66 is fairly well outfitted in those wilderness areas and you don't want to be packing into a sweet drainage to find two wall tents and a half dozen guys with tags. PM incoming.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I know its a 2nd tier unit in Colorado, behind the 61, 76, 2, 201s of the state, so I'm hoping for better action than my usual OTC archery unit.

I wouldn't call it "2nd tier"........more like 4th tier IMO, but yes.......maybe better than most OTC areas.

Be prepared to see a LOT of moose, and frankly......a lot of people. Everyone congregates into the same areas in that unit, along with the outfitters as well.

Do you have any specific goals? Will any elk do?

OP
L

lineman21

FNG
I wouldn't call it "2nd tier"........more like 4th tier IMO, but yes.......maybe better than most OTC areas.

Be prepared to see a LOT of moose, and frankly......a lot of people. Everyone congregates into the same areas in that unit, along with the outfitters as well.

Do you have any specific goals? Will any elk do?

No specific goals. I'd be happy with any legal bull. I've packed enough elk out to know my limitations on what I can do alone so that will limit me on where I can hunt.

OP
L

lineman21

FNG
I want to thank all the guys that have sent me messages and posted on here about this hunt/unit. I've got some good starting spots pegged and I will likely be picking your brains when my map gets here. Thanks guys and Rokslide rocks!!!!

I think it's a great tag. Not as high quality bulls as the other units mentioned but I have friends that hunt it, primarily rifle and they have taken at least one 330" bull, and others over 300". And they usually take the first legal bull they can.

I believe it takes 10+ PPs for a NR to draw.

UPhuntr

FNG
How did your hunt go? I'm heading out for first rifle. I have never been to unit 66 before.