Idaho motorized rule

Only a couple weeks out from our annual backpack hunt in Colorado. Got a good spot we usually go to but looking to see some new country so we will probably head to Idaho next year in addition to Colorado. I am currently looking at the Idaho hunt planner and I have a question about the map and the Motorized rule. I realize that only some designated units have the non motorized rule. When I click on the layer for trails it gives me some trails that are marked ATV seasonal and it also shows me some other trails closed to motorized travel. My question is: Are those trails marked ATV seasonal closed to motorized travel once the season starts?? As I read the rule those trails are not open to full size vehicles. So, since those trails are not open to full size vehicles then they should prohibit the use of motorized travel. Am I correct?? I am trying to eliminate areas with a lot of vehicular traffic so I didn't want to waste a lot of time researching the wrong areas. ANY clarification would be greatly appreciated

IDAPA Rule 13.01.08.411 affirms that motorized
vehicles are an aid to hunting big game and
prohibits use of motorized vehicles by hunters in
designated units, unless the road is open to full sized
vehicles, or the hunter falls under one of the
four exceptions to the rule.

In theory you are correct. In actuality people will still use their 4 wheelers on some of them. I have not seen it turn into anything crazy. Over the 14 days I was in a non motorized unit last year I saw 3 instances of people probably where they shouldn't be.

FreeRange

WKR
For a couple years I used the Idaho.trails.gov interactive map to scope out what trails were open but found out last year from an enforcement officer that the only way to be sure of what the rules are is to use the forest service travel plan map. A convenient way to use it is with Avenza maps on your phone which is what the officer told me he uses. There is some discrepancy between the FS maps and the Idaho trails website and on top of that each unit has different restrictions. So in a unit with motorized use restrictions if the Idaho trails website shows a road open all year to atv use, atv recreational riders can use that trail but not hunters.

This is all in the interest of staying legal yourself. The truth is if you want to stay away from atv' you have to go where they physically cannot get an atv because there are a TON of people ignoring motorized use restrictions.

KurtR

WKR
in my time there last year we did not see any one where they should not be and half the trails for atvs were impassable. The motorcycle trails i could barley walk on much less ride.

My understanding from talking with an officer as well as inquiring on the Fish and Game site is that the seasonal ATV trails are NOT shut down to ATV traffic for hunting season, they may be shut down for other "seasonal" reasons (winter range, summer closures etc). HOWEVER, you can only use your ATV to hunt from on "roads". So if it is a "road" then you can ride your ATV, hunt, ride your ATV home. If it is an ATV trail you can ride your ATV, Camp, hunt, ride your ATV, or ATV, hunt, camp, ATV, but you have to be at camp for part of that cycle. You can also, use and ATV trail to get closer to where you have an animal down for retrieval.

Clear as mud right? I do know over the last couple years that they have been really cracking down on illegal ATV use during hunting, but it seems there are a lot of loop holes.

kicker338

WKR
My understanding from talking with an officer as well as inquiring on the Fish and Game site is that the seasonal ATV trails are NOT shut down to ATV traffic for hunting season, they may be shut down for other "seasonal" reasons (winter range, summer closures etc). HOWEVER, you can only use your ATV to hunt from on "roads". So if it is a "road" then you can ride your ATV, hunt, ride your ATV home. If it is an ATV trail you can ride your ATV, Camp, hunt, ride your ATV, or ATV, hunt, camp, ATV, but you have to be at camp for part of that cycle. You can also, use and ATV trail to get closer to where you have an animal down for retrieval.

Clear as mud right? I do know over the last couple years that they have been really cracking down on illegal ATV use during hunting, but it seems there are a lot of loop holes.

Sure not cracking down on them here in Nth. Idaho. One atv trail where I hunt has been pounded to death by huckle berry pickers in they're cars and trucks.

Randle

WKR
Cars??? Atv trails?? Must have alot of north Idaho pinstripe up the side of them.

OP
H

So is this true in those units who have a specific motorized rule ? If so then where does the part of the" road open to full sized vehicles come into play??

If you are in a unit that falls under the motorized restriction, then you can only operate your atv/utv on roads that the Forest Service travel plan has approved for "full sized vehicles", meaning vehicles that weigh 1500 lbs or more. If you are not in a unit that falls under the motorized restriction, then you adhere to the travel plan of the agency that manages the land you plan to hunt i.e. BLM, Forest Service, etc. It's really pretty simple. The confusing part to most is that it requires you to gather information from more than one bureaucracy. If you have any questions about a certain unit, PM me.

OP
H
If you are in a unit that falls under the motorized restriction, then you can only operate your atv/utv on roads that the Forest Service travel plan has approved for "full sized vehicles", meaning vehicles that weigh 1500 lbs or more. If you are not in a unit that falls under the motorized restriction, then you adhere to the travel plan of the agency that manages the land you plan to hunt i.e. BLM, Forest Service, etc. It's really pretty simple. The confusing part to most is that it requires you to gather information from more than one bureaucracy. If you have any questions about a certain unit, PM me.

Thank you. Seemed pretty simple to me too. Just didn't want to waste research time without double checking. Right now I'm looking only in those units that have the motorized rule. I wanted to make sure if I found a spot and it had ATV trails nearby what the status of those trails would be come hunting season. The confirmation is appreciated

No problem. You'll still run into atv/utv users on closed trails, but in areas with the motorized restriction it's less common. I don't even waste time worrying about illegal atv's anymore, it's at the bottom of the list of importance for most law enforcement. I merely get a long ways from anyplace an atv could be operated and leave the trail - dwellers to deal with it.

nidaho

FNG
if there is a trail that a atv can get up, whether it is legal or not, during elk season there will be atv use on it guaranteed.

BullElk

FNG

this is the most accurate post on this thread.^^^^^
I also hunt in a zone that is affected by the MHR. I ride my bike on all open trails during hunting season(but don't hunt from my MC) and have gotten some crazy looks from the un-educated.
I carry three things(MVUM Map, and the two FAQ's below) on my person all hunting season to avoid conflict with those who THINK they know the rule, USFS, and any type of LE to avoid a ticket.

my suggestion to the OP is to find a few areas and then compare that info to a USFS MVUM that way when someone zips by you on a motorcycle/atv you know for sure.
MAPS HERE

take a moment and read this. I had asked the MEAT REMOVAL question after stumbling onto the first one. probably asked by one of the posters here. also, as previously mentioned there is a TON of recreationalist MC/ATV users during that time of year!

Attachments

• IMG_4003.jpg
    IMG_4003.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4002.jpg
    IMG_4002.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

BullElk

FNG
So is this true in those units who have a specific motorized rule ? If so then where does the part of the" road open to full sized vehicles come into play??

Use Restriction
In designated units from August 30 through December 31, big
game hunters may use motorized vehicles only on established
roadways which are open to motorized traffic and capable of
being traveled by full-sized automobiles.
Exceptions. This use restriction rule shall not apply to the
following permissible motorized vehicle uses by hunters off
of an established roadway:
• Holders of a valid Handicapped Person’s Motor Vehicle
Hunting Permit may use a motorized vehicle as allowed by
the land owner or manager.
• Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to retrieve downed
game if such travel is allowed by the land owner or
manager.
• Hunters may use a motorized vehicle to pack camping
equipment in or out if such travel is allowed by the land
owner or manager, but hunters may not hunt while packing
camping equipment.

• Private landowners, their authorized agents and persons
with written landowner permission may use a motorized
vehicle on their private land, but they may not hunt from or
by the use of any motorized vehicle.

yes, it is true in units where there is a MHR. the part you need to understand is "HUNTING" from a "ROAD" on an ATV/MC is legal which is different than Riding a"TRAIL" with your camp/weapon to a hunting/camping spot and not "HUNTING" along the way...which is also legal.

in a nutshell what does this mean to you..you might ask? your point of trying to avoid ATV's by hunting in a MHR unit is moot. you're going to see them and more than likely they are perfectly legal to be there on their machine. want to avoid them altogether head to the wilderness. hope this helps

Last edited:
Hey guys first post here. Im trying to figure this out also. This is not as simple as "does it have a motor" You have to look at the statute on how the state defines ebikes. Idaho recently changed their definition here are the relevant current statutes.
  • E-bikes are classified as "electric bicycles". The same rules of the road apply to both e-bikes and human-powered bicycles
  • E-bikes are not subject to the registration, licensing, or insurance requirements that apply to motor vehicles.

§ 49-725. Rights and duties of electric-assisted bicycles
Except as otherwise provided in this title, an electric-assisted bicycle shall be subject to all the safety requirements of a bicycle. A rider of an electric-assisted bicycle shall be afforded all the rights and privileges and be subject to all of the duties and safety requirements as the rider of a bicycle. Subject to the provisions in this chapter, electric-assisted bicycles may be ridden where bicycles are permitted to travel.

§ 49-728. Path use by electric-assisted bicycles
Electric-assisted bicycles may be used in places where bicycles are permitted to travel including but not limited to multiuse paths.

Based on this Ebikes would not be considered a "motorized vehicle". and thus could be used in a unit with a motorized hunting rule. However, this doesnt mean you can ride them wherever. The US forest service still considers the motorized so you could only use them on trails open to motorized traffic.

Im still waiting to get confirmation on this from IDFG but im open to input.

IDFG Big Game Hunting Rule Book pages 104-15

"The use of motorized vehicles, including electronic-powered vehicles, by hunters as an aid to hunting big game animals is restricted in certain areas"

"Defined Terms a. A motorized vehicle is any water, land or air vehicle propelled by means of steam, petroleum products, electricity or any other mechanical power."

IDFG Big Game Hunting Rule Book pages 104-15

"The use of motorized vehicles, including electronic-powered vehicles, by hunters as an aid to hunting big game animals is restricted in certain areas"

"Defined Terms a. A motorized vehicle is any water, land or air vehicle propelled by means of steam, petroleum products, electricity or any other mechanical power."
Thank you for the reply. I’m not sure that it clarifies anything though. It seems that there is two different definitions. One by state statute which should rank higher than an agency definition. Unless the legislature has given the agency to enact stricter regulations. I’m waiting to hear back from fish and game and will update as soon as I get confirmation.

I'm interested in the reply you get from IDFG but the state statute you cite above relates to how the State of Idaho handles licensing and insurance of electronic bikes. The reference you cited to "path use by electric-assisted bicycles" is also irrelevant to the IDFG Motorized rule. The bike itself may be allowed on a particular trail but as I will explain below, the use of that electric bike as an aid to hunting makes it illegal on any trail not open to full sized vehicles. The rule exists because IDFG does not have the authority to shutdown the use of motorized vehicles on Federal land.

The motorized rule regulates use of motorized vehicles as an aid to hunting; under the same authority that IDFG has to regulate use of all aids to hunting. The motorized rule treats motorized vehicles as if they were a rifle, bow, or any other device that is regulated during hunting seasons. So, while it may be perfectly legal for you ride an e-bike on a particular trail, it would be illegal for you to use it for hunting purposes. The only exception, and one that many hunters screw up, is that you could use an e-bike/4wheeler/dirtbike to pack in your camp or to carry out meat. Once you have packed in your camp, you must walk from there to hunt, if you use your motorized vehicle to move from your camp to where you plan to hunt, you are in violation.

So it doesn't matter how the State of Idaho categorizes e-bikes in terms of insurance and licensing requirements or trail use. IDFG has the authority to regulate e-bikes in the category of an aid to hunting. IDFG has identified e-bikes as motorized per the definition on page 105 of the rule book. They can't say "electronic bicycle" because then someone would show up the next year with an electronic scooter. They have to use a more encompassing term and just reference electric-powered vehicles.

From page 104 of the IDFG rule book.
"The use of motorized vehicles, including electronic-powered vehicles, by hunters as an aid to hunting big game animals is restricted in certain areas. This use restriction is in addition to all federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations, ordinances and orders; including, but not limited to, any motorized vehicle licensing, registration, and permitting requirements and traffic laws."

I'm interested in the reply you get from IDFG but the state statute you cite above relates to how the State of Idaho handles licensing and insurance of electronic bikes. The reference you cited to "path use by electric-assisted bicycles" is also irrelevant to the IDFG Motorized rule. The bike itself may be allowed on a particular trail but as I will explain below, the use of that electric bike as an aid to hunting makes it illegal on any trail not open to full sized vehicles. The rule exists because IDFG does not have the authority to shutdown the use of motorized vehicles on Federal land.

The motorized rule regulates use of motorized vehicles as an aid to hunting; under the same authority that IDFG has to regulate use of all aids to hunting. The motorized rule treats motorized vehicles as if they were a rifle, bow, or any other device that is regulated during hunting seasons. So, while it may be perfectly legal for you ride an e-bike on a particular trail, it would be illegal for you to use it for hunting purposes. The only exception, and one that many hunters screw up, is that you could use an e-bike/4wheeler/dirtbike to pack in your camp or to carry out meat. Once you have packed in your camp, you must walk from there to hunt, if you use your motorized vehicle to move from your camp to where you plan to hunt, you are in violation.

So it doesn't matter how the State of Idaho categorizes e-bikes in terms of insurance and licensing requirements or trail use. IDFG has the authority to regulate e-bikes in the category of an aid to hunting. IDFG has identified e-bikes as motorized per the definition on page 105 of the rule book. They can't say "electronic bicycle" because then someone would show up the next year with an electronic scooter. They have to use a more encompassing term and just reference electric-powered vehicles.

From page 104 of the IDFG rule book.
"The use of motorized vehicles, including electronic-powered vehicles, by hunters as an aid to hunting big game animals is restricted in certain areas. This use restriction is in addition to all federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations, ordinances and orders; including, but not limited to, any motorized vehicle licensing, registration, and permitting requirements and traffic laws."
Thanks again, the information you cite is interesting. My only pushback would be that IDFG can’t say “electronic bicycle”. The state legislature specifically changed the applicable statutes to include the term “electronic bicycle” to differentiate them from motorcycles ( which are specifically defined) and mopeds (which also have their own definition) and scooters would be restricted also because the legislature established the electronic bicycles must have wheels of at least 20” and further breaks them into 3 classes. The reason I added the path and multi purpose trail is that in order to be in compliance with this portion the electronic bicycle must be 750w or less and be incapable of reaching unassisted speeds greater than 20 mph.

your point about IDFG being able to regulate them the same as bows and firearms is a good one. I had not thought about it with that perspective.

Yep, the State of Idaho is regulating a completely different thing than IDFG. The definitions used by the State for regulating insurance and licensing of e-bikes has no bearing on how IDFG may choose to regulate or define them for use as a hunting aid.