Elk calling questions

TheCougar

WKR
For the experienced callers in the group, two quick questions on mouth calling. First, on grunts: are you building up pressure to a high note quickly, then dropping it all of a sudden to end it (think almost a bugle packed into a half second) or are you starting on a high note immediately and then dropping it? I've been listening to Corey and it sounds like he does the former- I can almost hear multiple notes building very very quickly in each grunt. The latter is much easier since all you need to do is blast some air and then drop the pressure... but is sounds one dimensional when I listen to Corey make the grunts. Second, I can bugle okay, but my mews are off. I would think a cow call would be easier than a bugle, but it isn't for me. I seem to be off key or something. I've tried a few different calls, varied my pressure, tongue position, etc but I can't seem to get the mews to sound buttery and smooth. Mine sound kind of shrill and annoying, like I'm tone deaf. Any ideas?

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Simply applying pressure and releasing be sure to use your diaphragm as you release the air to help make it sound fuller and deeper. Also don't swallow the call as you do this as that would not be a good thing👍 Good luck

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
What is the best program for learning calling techniques?
Elknut app all day long! He covers all types of calls and you can compare his own demonstration of a given call with real elk recordings...top it off with the ability to record your own efforts for comparison. When I downloaded it when it first came out several years ago, it was only $10. Easily worth 10x that amount!