Utah otc archery

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have any input on the quality of the hunting experience for one of utahs spike/cow hunts vs Colorado otc?

After striking out on Az tags, including leftover deer, I'm putting together a last minute plan. I know Co 62 pretty well from some 1st rifle hunts, so I can likely get on elk there. I'm worried about the crowd being so bad that it takes away from the experience.

I've never hunted Utah, but I've spent some time in the Abajos and la sals. Would that be a better overall quality of experience? The cow/spike vs Colorado raghorn doesnt bother me much if the crowds are lighter. Cheaper tag doesn't hurt either.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited:

fltlndr

FNG
I can't speak for rifle hunts but the trail heads were slammed this weekend for archery opener in UT. I hunted within 1-1/2 hrs of SLC and there was hardly a parking spot at 4 a.m. on Saturday morning. And if it's anything like Colorado, it only get's worse for the rifle hunts. Maybe further away from the metropolitan area will have less pressure but I doubt it.

OP
B

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I'll be going archery the week of Labor Day. Leaning towards going back to Colorado at this point.

Steadman

WKR
Being from UT if I had the means I would hunt a different state for elk every year. That being said you can have a quality elk hunt here. Most spike/cow hunters are not willing to get more than a couple miles from a road and honestly a mile is more the norm. But there are roads everywhere here!! Another minus to the spike/cow archery hunt is that it ends the Friday after Labor Day. Good luck wherever you decide to go

sneaky

"DADDY"
I went out all opening weekend in Utah and didn't see another hunter, this was on the Wasatch. Guess it all depends on how much effort you want to put in. Thing about Utah is you can hunt bulls til mid December if you can swing anymore time off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk