Havalon piranta too small for elk?

Maybe I'm just too impatient and just start hacking when I'm cutting up an animal, but I think those lightweight replaceable knives suck. I like an actual knife, something I can grip and get a little aggressive with. I have an Outdoor Edge EDC replaceable that works pretty well due to its thicker blades, but I'm almost always using my Benchmade fixed when cutting up any animal. I get the appeal of the Havalon for the weight conscious hunter, but I just count ounces THAT much. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Funny I understand that it's light but I use it because of the ease in which it gets the job done. I carry a sturdy fixed blade for some of the heavy work but for skinning it's priceless IMO.

robtattoo

WKR
If I might respectfully suggest something:
Maybe go help a few friends cut up their deer. Having tackled nothing but bunnies & birds, you'll shit yourself with a 700lb critter flopped in a strange position halfway down a mountain. Right now the type of knife you've got is the least of your concerns. Gutting (or not), skinning, quartering, & filleting a bigger animal is most definitely one of those things you need to learn hands-on. YouTube can only take you so far.

Stein

FNG
I use the barracuda and outdoor edge, the first for meat and second for skin, prying and joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
Last year I got a cow elk bagged up and back to camp (gutless) with only a Little Vicky. Size of the blade is not an issue. I've used Havalon and Outdoor edge for others. When you start getting heavy handed with the lightweight stuff it either snaps or you cut yourself.

Havalon is all I used for many years in the field. I don't care for the blade popping out. I tend to get it to come off 2 times on an elk. I rarely break one, but am always looking in the animal for where it came off. Mine is an early version. I am thinking of upgrading to a gerber or Tito.

These are great for quick skinning and quartering in my opinion. But I am convinced a fixed blade is also necessary for other things beyond just breaking down parts the animal.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had my outdoor edge gum up, now I also carry a gerber dime multi tool for the pliers. Mine also has their zipper blade built in so it's heavier than without but still comes in at 5.6 with a blade in it minus the sheath.

If I might respectfully suggest something:
Maybe go help a few friends cut up their deer. Having tackled nothing but bunnies & birds, you'll shit yourself with a 700lb critter flopped in a strange position halfway down a mountain. Right now the type of knife you've got is the least of your concerns. Gutting (or not), skinning, quartering, & filleting a bigger animal is most definitely one of those things you need to learn hands-on. YouTube can only take you so far.

This literally just happened to me on my elk hunt Sunday night. A steep ridge, big bull piled in a few trees with his rear leg under his body.
Had I not had stuff to handle this, the knife would've been the least of my issues.
I had his head tied up to trees, quarters tied up, I even thought of tying myself up at one point.
It was pouring rain for the whole time and slippery mess on a steep face at 10,500'.............
I spent a lot of time cutting trees, clearing area, clearing tree branches to hold the qtrs., and tying the big boy up so he didn't roll down getting everything dirty.

Oh and watching for predators circling my perimeter
:)

DEHusker

WKR
I'm always curious for those that only carry a Havalon in the field....What is your "survival knife" i.e. The one that you'll need to make a shelter or start a fire or cut wood...??

I wouldn't be caught in the backcountry without a good fixed blade. And be careful with stainless...some of it does not throw sparks from a ferro rod. Yeah, I carry a Havalon but ironically only as a lightweight backup to my Dozier or Bark River. Plus, replaceable blade knives are just plain soulless. There is something very stirring about holding a good piece of steel and wood in your hand as you stand over your hard won prize.

The key to all those disposables is they're razor sharp. I like my havalon, but If I was going to buy another "plug and play" knife I would ensure it has that metal ridge over the top of the majority of the blade. That would be the best of both worlds.

As mentioned, for years I got by on folding fillet knifes and they work great. I used to one and done them they were so cheap.

OZapo

FNG
I use the Piranha and I think it is the perfect size. Its not so big that you can't precisely control it. Now that said I also recommend carrying a heavier duty knife also, I carry the outdoor edge swing blade. Use the sturdier knife where you need to put some pressure on the blade. Like when trying to pop the hip joint or getting the head off. The gutless method is awesome! If your able to get some practice on a deer that would greatly benefit you before you tackle an elk. There are lots of videos out there showing the process, watch as many as you have time for, you may learn some different tricks from different people.

OP
C

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for everyone's responses. I partner will have a fixed blade knife so between the and the piranta it should work well

Stein

FNG
I've had my outdoor edge gum up, now I also carry a gerber dime multi tool for the pliers. Mine also has their zipper blade built in so it's heavier than without but still comes in at 5.6 with a blade in it minus the sheath.

The Gerber Dime rocks, best $20 I have spent in a long time.

Stein

FNG
I'm always curious for those that only carry a Havalon in the field....What is your "survival knife" i.e. The one that you'll need to make a shelter or start a fire or cut wood...??

I have never used a knife to cut wood or build a fire. I guess I am old fashioned, I break sticks, find pine needles and flick a Bic. I have never had a lighter fail, but if it did I would just grab a spare I carry.

I carried a Rambo knife for probably 20 years and all it got me was tired.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I see there's an outdoor edge razor with a "zipper" blade

The reverse curve zip blades are a handy/convenient item for very quickly slicing up the hide along the body and up each leg. I don't like dual blade knifes though as a personal preference. If you aren't counting ounces the stand alone folding zip pro is a pretty light/handy item.

I'm not an ounce counter and want my life to be easier when butchering so I actually have 3 knives in my kill kit. The folding zip pro (its open spine so it cleans easily), a folding boning knife and a folding open spine knife with a moderately good steel on it and some curve on the blade tip. The zip knife is for the starting hide cuts and then goes away. After that the folding knife is for skinning and taking off the lower legs, this knife also gets hair on it, etc. Taking off the quarters and then deboning the carcass I like the longer and flexible boning knife which is also clean and also can be used by someone else while the remainder of the animal is skill getting skinned out. Not the lightest but not that heavy of a setup, just my personal preference. My folding knife will do a few animals on an edge and I just give it a couple passes on a rod when I get home and strop it to shaving sharp again so no real need for replaceable blades unless I was doing a ton of animals without going home between.

To small? Not a chance. Too flimsy? Maybe, but it's made for slicing, not prying. The Piranta is all I use for elk

A lot of hunters seem to think they need a rambo knife for elk. Really all you are doing is making a few slices in the hide and then separating muscle groups and connective tissue. To me this is better done with a smaller, sharp knife that a samurai sword.

CaseyU

WKR
I think it's rather simple. If you feel the need to have a back up knife or a "sturdy" blade then carry it. If you feel comfortable with a havalon with a an extra blade or two. Your going to save some weight. Good for you! I personally have done many big game animals including elk with just a havalon and that was before they had the 60a blades (which are even stronger) I have complete faith in my system and that's all that matters. Do what makes you feel better and don't feed into what everybody else is doing! Try it on the next one and might leave all your doubt behind

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've lost count of the animals that I've skinned with my havalon piranta. Most recently, an entire bull moose. The havalon even did all joint work to include removing the skull. What I find amusing is that I lose knives like it's nobody's business, easily have lost over 10 knives in the past 5-6 years. All nice fixed blades. But I've had my havalon since they came out and I hope to never lose it.

If you let the knife do the work, they are amazing... if you are into being super aggressive while quartering/skinning game then it may not be for you.

I see no need to carry more than just a havalon while hunting, but YMMV. Best of luck!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nick makes a good point in his second paragraph. I was thought with a 8" buck knife by family who never considered the gutless method. It just seemed barbaric as I'm a more methodical type.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Normally a Havalon blade slips easily up the hide all the way from the tail to the base of the antlers, but my daughter's bull this year was the thickest hide I've ever seen on an elk. I broke four blades just trying to slice that section of hide open. Finally took my 4" blade Gerber Gator S30V and I still had to do full force tiny cuts with each pull. The neck hide was almost an inch thick in places.......like I said, never seen anything like it. His neck hair was all matted and knapped up like a springer spaniel or something as well. Bizarre. But really glad I had my fixed blade knife as well. He had been rolling in dirt apparently and his entire hide was covered in it. That didn't help either as blades dulled very quickly. I will definitely carry more Havalon blades in the future.