Havalon piranta too small for elk?

colobow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm an inexperienced elk processor and was wondering if the havalon piranta would be too small for me to use for elk.

If so would people suggest the baracuta or would the outdoor edge be a better choice ?

I see there's an outdoor edge razor with a "zipper" blade

I've only processed rabbits and turkeys and I'm planning on the gutless method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Its worked out ok for me. Dont get aggressive and try to pry anything or the blades will brake. If you dont have experience cutting up big game animals, IMO, I would suggest a stronger blade.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is the piranta and he makes quick work of his elk:
http://https:// m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7tf5JMBuyE

For a $20 upcharge, I highly recommend the 2-blade Havalon Titan, which as a 3" standard blade (non-replaceable w/ AUS8 steel), plus the replaceable (Paranta) style blade. Best of both worlds in a single knife.

Last edited:

hwy1strat

WKR
I have used my piranta on a moose and an elk now. They are amazing knives. Like Brent said, don't try to pry anything with it.

hunt1up

WKR
Maybe I'm just too impatient and just start hacking when I'm cutting up an animal, but I think those lightweight replaceable knives suck. I like an actual knife, something I can grip and get a little aggressive with. I have an Outdoor Edge EDC replaceable that works pretty well due to its thicker blades, but I'm almost always using my Benchmade fixed when cutting up any animal. I get the appeal of the Havalon for the weight conscious hunter, but I just count ounces THAT much. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

If you haven't already bought the Havalon the OE replacement blade knifes are much better for a very small weight penalty. The Havalon works for many people as well.

2five7

WKR
I've never done a full butcher job with a piranta, but I have quartered dozens of bulls with no issues aside from a broken blade every once in a while. Plan on using 2 blades per animal, one to get through the hide on the knees and up the back of the neck, then change out to do the actual meat cutting work.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used the piranta on several elk and tend to break one blade each time. The key as noted is to not be aggressive, take your time and not put sideways pressure on them. I carry 3 extra blades and a very small multi tool to replace blades. Word of caution these blades are extremely sharp always error with caution when using as one bad mistake could be costly.

tttoadman

WKR
I have no skills to sharpen a knife, so the fixed blade was always a pain for me. Like Ross noted, you need to have a multitool that has the mini pliers so you can get a hold of the blade. I have the Leatherman Quirt. The only time I ever break blades is when I am getting the head and lower jaw off.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Maybe I'm just too impatient and just start hacking when I'm cutting up an animal, but I think those lightweight replaceable knives suck. I like an actual knife, something I can grip and get a little aggressive with. I have an Outdoor Edge EDC replaceable that works pretty well due to its thicker blades, but I'm almost always using my Benchmade fixed when cutting up any animal. I get the appeal of the Havalon for the weight conscious hunter, but I just count ounces THAT much. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

I like a knife too. But I started using a Havalon as well as the knife and that works well for me. I find that I use too much side pressure while cutting out the backstraps, trying to keep the contour while cutting, for the Havalon. So I always use my knife on those. But the Havalon makes for quick work cutting the hide and skinning it out.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
I pack 4 extra blades per animal, and keep 4 extras in the truck. Last year was my first time doing a full butcher job with the Piranta and I broke 2 blades. Echo what everyone said - keep the side pressure to a minimum and if you break a blade, find it and carefully remove it - not something you want to run into later in the butcher job when you're up a mountain! That said having fresh, razor sharp blades is awesome and I'll be packing it again this year along with a lightweight folding knife for camp chores/backup.

cowboy300

WKR
Ive used them all and for someone inexperienced taking apart an elk I would definitely recommend the outdoor edge replaceable blade knife over the havalon/tyto type knife that uses the 60A/60XT blades. Much stronger system and way easier/safer to replace blades. If your worried about weight you can save some by not having to take pliers/multi tool to change blades and by ditching the case and rubber banding a few extra blades to the knife.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's fine. If you can't figure out or handle a Havalon in the elk wilderness you likely have bigger issues to be concerned about.

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to mention that the rounded-tip blades for the Havalon are awesome for caping!

garrete

FNG
I've done a few deer gutless with the havalon. But am making the switch to the outdoor edge for use in the field. I like the sturdier blade and easy to switch blades. The havalon is awesome for boning, but it's a bit flimsy in the field.

Never used either on an elk though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one up last year and used it on a deer and elk with no issues. It will be going with me again this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I prefer long knives when handling game.I used to use a fillet knife but the last 5 or so years I use the Barracuda version offered by Havalon.