Colorado unit 66 1st rifle elk

Djacker

WKR
Hey guys

I'm new to the forum and have a 1st rifle elk tag in Colorado unit 66. I've never hunted Colorado before, I've hunted AZ unit 23 late, MT general season and NM unit 22. Id be willing to share any knowledge of those units if anyone is willing to share any words of wisdom with me about unit 66. If not happy hunting to all!!

Don't know the unit BUT I have the points to draw 1st elk, 2nd deer in 66 and am thinking I'll do that in the next 3 years. Trophy Potential in both of those seasons is lower than other seasons in the same unit but I like hunting unit with high "potential " regardless of the time of the season.

Jarhead

FNG
I've hunted 65 a good bit. If 66 is anything like it I wouldn't even consider hunting below 10K.

OP
D

Djacker

WKR
Thanks Jarhead, I was planning on scouting above treeline the first few days them move down as needed.

UPhuntr

FNG
New to the forum. Picked up a 66 1st rifle tag off the leftover list two weeks ago. I have a few areas west and east of lake city that I have been googling. Any archery or muzzy guys have any luck in the south part of the unit?

UPhuntr

FNG
I am coming from Michigan so not a lot of time to research the unit. Can anyone tell me why it takes 14 points for NR to draw a muzzy tag and only 3 or 4 for 1st rifle?

I am coming from Michigan so not a lot of time to research the unit. Can anyone tell me why it takes 14 points for NR to draw a muzzy tag and only 3 or 4 for 1st rifle?

Take a look at the success rates. In 2016 the success rate was 31% for muzzy hunters and 16% for 1st rifle hunters on bulls. 16% is lower than a lot of OTC units, and unit 66 doesn't generally grow super big bulls. Residents can draw that 1st rifle tag with 0 points almost guaranteed but most would rather hunt OTC and save their points for a better hunt. That 1st rifle hunt is not an easy hunt at all.

That doesn't mean you can't have a great hunt and shoot a giant. There's plenty of elk in 66 but they're much harder to hunt during the rifle seasons.

Last edited:

UPhuntr

FNG
Thanks for the reply bigbull!! Looking forward to getting out there and seeing some new country. I will be out 3 days before opener so not much time to scout. I shot my big one in a different unit 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply bigbull!! Looking forward to getting out there and seeing some new country. I will be out 3 days before opener so not much time to scout. I shot my big one in a different unit 2 years ago.
Hey guys

I'm new to the forum and have a 1st rifle elk tag in Colorado unit 66. I've never hunted Colorado before, I've hunted AZ unit 23 late, MT general season and NM unit 22. Id be willing to share any knowledge of those units if anyone is willing to share any words of wisdom with me about unit 66. If not happy hunting to all!!

Was wondering how your hunt went?

OP
D

Djacker

WKR
Ohh there's no secret for me, djacker. I let guys that asked how it went. It was a tough hunt. I found 3 good 6x6's 4 days before the hunt. Opener arrived and no elk were found. I had 1 Cow and 1 bear at 10 yards. That was it. Found plenty of old sign. I'm an open book if anyone needs info. I've helped anyone who's asked.

You ask for info on a hunt, then when asked how it went, you give a private answer. Just kinda strange. Thanks for the update. Sorry you didn’t have a better hunt.

MikeM06

FNG
DJacker I'm new to the fourms and can't figure out how to PM you. Had a few questions about your hunt if you don't mind helping out a local MN guy.

Thanks,