Elk Hunting Cost and Gear List

Jd259

WKR
I don't even want to know what your pack weighed now lol thanks for the info man it's very helpful for some one like myself who's just gettin into the pack style hunting.

OP
Backpack Hunter
^^Exactly why I got the either sex. No sense limiting my options for $160. Either way I was hoping that guys would see how affordable it can be to go elk hunting. Most folks don't rent a car, and even with decreased gas mileage that is still probably around $400 less. I'm sure if a person were to plan out hotel stops or shop around for cheaper prices those costs could have been cut in half, so it should be fairly easy for an eastern guy to be able to hunt elk for less than $1,500 including the price of tags.

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
First trip west for me this year. I won't be renting a car so that will save me a few hundred bucks to buy the ridiculously expensive gear I NEED

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

label027

FNG
I'm sure if a person were to plan out hotel stops or shop around for cheaper prices those costs could have been cut in half, so it should be fairly easy for an eastern guy to be able to hunt elk for less than $1,500 including the price of tags.

Assuming you don't have to purchase any gear.. That's where I ran into trouble. I told my wife the trip will be less than $2K. I realized quickly the gear I hunt with around home should probably be upgraded for out west. I think I blacked out for a few days and next thing I know I had packages showing up at my door just about every day.

I'll be set for gear now and well into the future, but I don't think my wife will believe me when I tell her less than $2K next year!:eek:

OP
Backpack Hunter
Quite right on good gear being expensive. It is worth noting though that when I started hunting out west I had a Wal-Mart tent, military surplus clothing, and a cheap Camp Trails external frame backpack that literally rattled with every step. So expensive gear makes life easier, but is not necessarily needed.

Esse quam videri

George

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on the cow!!

Question though, do you have sinus issues when you get out here coming from NC? Zyrtec and sinus spray area must have for me. I guess it is the lack of oppressive humidity but I can hardly breathe like my sinuses are congested but they are bone freakin dry.

Snort water.

G

Not counting gear, your biggest expense is the tag and fuel to get out there. Last year, Dad and I split fuel costs. About $200/each is what we spent (3500 miles at 18mpg average gas prices about $2.25). This year, my uncle is going with us so that will reduce fuel costs a little more. I don't know what I spent on food. Tried not to stop and get fast food, although we did grab a breakfast biscuit on the way out there and a subway sandwich on the way back and ate one meal in town at the end of the hunt. Food in camp was all pre-cooked meals that could be easily warmed back up.

If you don't have to buy any gear, you can do it for less than $1500. But, most of us easterners don't have some of the stuff that would be needed, such as pack frames and the like. My biggest expense outside of tag and travel was a frame/bag. Bought a used Kuiu 6000 and 1850 with frame for about $290. I used the frame and 1850 bag last year while hunting, used the 6000 for practice hikes and storing clothes. Ended up selling the 6000 bag and frame and used that money to purchase a Kifaru set up. Other gear can be purchased here and there. If you base camp/truck camping, you can get away with heavy sleeping bags, heavy tents and such. I want to try the backpacking thing so I have slowly started to purchase more gear here and there. Just keep an eye on the classifieds and you can get some deals.

Felix40

WKR
It sure helps to split the costs with some friends too. Coming from Texas we have split it three ways almost every year and it comes out to less than $900 a person. When you add up the money I spend to drive to work every day for a week and a half it works out almost the same as splitting gas to CO three ways. So at the end of the trip Im barely spending more than the cost of the tag.

ChrisS

WKR
Why rent a car? Just curious.
Not sure for him, but better gas mileage or less wear and tear on your own. I drove out last year and it cost me ~$600 in gas. I have an older rig that's in good condition, but it does have 100K+ miles on it. Having something like the water pump go somewhere in west Kansas at midnight makes me reconsider driving out again.