Will elk utilize lower elevation swamp/marsh in September?

Looking over maps of my hunting area. One spot keeps sticking out to me. It's a lower elevation (8200-8500') swamp/marsh area. I investigated the fringes of this area last season but due to time was not able to get deep into it. Satellite imagery shows some dense timber on the higher ridges (8400-8500') with swamp/marsh and some open meadows in the lower elevations. Something about the spot keeps grabbing my attention. Will elk utilize this type of area in mid to late September, or will it still be too warm with too many bugs at that elevation for that time of year? With only 7 days to hunt, I am really trying to narrow down my "top spots" to investigate. I have 3 other areas that produced elk sightings last year that I am going to really concentrate on, but I keep coming back to this spot for some reason. Access to it is difficult, and it has the elements that elk need (food, water, shelter). But, I don't want to waste time in there if it's not somewhere that elk would normally want to be during archery season/warmer weather. I realize elk are where you find them, but I do not know a lot about elk utilization of lower elevation swamps and marshes. If I were after whitetail, then this spot would be a no-brainer. Thanks for any info.

dotman

WKR
Elk are everywhere just not always in big concentrations, so yes they could be there for sure.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen it many times until someone started camping near it. It was a hot spot for deer too, think it had to do with a certain kind of vegetation. Similar swamps never had game but this area has a unique smell early and late in the day.

GKPrice

Banned
I've seen it many times until someone started camping near it. It was a hot spot for deer too, think it had to do with a certain kind of vegetation. Similar swamps never had game but this area has a unique smell early and late in the day.

similar comparison in an entirely different region: Oregon's Snake River unit used to have elk running helter skelter but there came a year that it all hinged, the age of the "off road fanaticism" emerged and each season there'd be a camp or 3 where somebody killed an elk the last year and so on ...... MORAL ? scout and do your homework then stay the hell out of where the elk "live" or they'll move on .....

Baerman

FNG
I've been finding more elk in the flats/marshy areas than high on the slopes this year so far. I believe the big bulls are probably in some solitary places but most elk are in the easy country until pressured. Based on my trail cam pictures, the bulls are starting to roam though. getting less pics of bulls once they start rubbing.