Need advice now.

I'm rooting for you man and, assuming the lack of response is due to packing versus looking. Good luck. That first time walking up on a dead elk, is definitely something you will always remember. It's humbling. God Bless

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey thanks for all the responses.

I went in at midnight looking for blood and it was very sparse. I pulled out and went back around 6 this morning. Temperature read 41 where I parked. Turns out he only went 20-30 yards past where I watched him and he tumbled. He was all twisted up when I found him in the light.

As of now he is packed out and in the freezer I am not sure how to tell if meat has gone bad, but it was cold to touch on the top side. there was some clotting and such and the meat had gone deep red on the one shoulder that had blood exposed from the broad head.

If I had been 2-4 inches farther up I would have gotten both lungs so I was a hair back.

Last edited:
OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
9cb78c889806316bd6030a0825490981.jpg

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Pregnant wife helped with the pack out! Now she needs one! First bull with a bow. DIY, public, Otc.

muddydogs

WKR
Most pregnant women I have been around can smell a fart at 200 yards so if she doesn't think it smells bad it's probably not. About the only meat you would have to worry about is the meat on the ground side as it will hold heat longer then the rest.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
I left a buck overnight way warmer than that last year. Low of 60, gutting it was a horrible gag fest. Dragged him away from the gut pile and the smell was gone and all the meat was fine..real tasty buck actually. The nose doesn't lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best looking example of a hunting partner I have seen on this site so far. :D

Congrats man. The meat is good. I've left animals in warmer weather for longer periods of time and, they were fine. God Bless