2017 Elk Season Now on to Montana Cabinet Mts

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unplanned stuff gotta be flexible....fun day yesterday in close with bulls until the jungles struck getting a limb in my cam coming out last night...called in 5 pt this morning for my brother but no shot then on into the archery shop back at it tomorrow morning👍 Bulls finally getting fired up 👊 Always fun scoopin sheds

Attachments

• picture0001_0001.jpg
    picture0001_0001.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 251
  • P1012547.jpg
    P1012547.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 261
  • P1012546.jpg
    P1012546.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 240
OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
5mile it is a domed reed, thankfully I can use either type👍 Did not help today as the first day in five out was not in very close to a bugler could not draw a peep on a new spot in comes the rain finally back out later this week things should be intense👍

Randle

WKR
What happened today? We had 2 good days of bulging , chasing and yesterday I called in a 5 pt but my hunting partner shot and hit a limb. Thankful for and recovered arrow and a clean miss. Anyway , not a peep today, I talked to 2 other hunters when got back to the truck that had the same kind of day.

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fickle these nidaho otc elk are they want rain as much as we do too cold two days ago to not be able to use woodstove🤙

Randle

WKR
Fickle they are. Yep we really need the rain. Like walking on corn flakes out there. I am back out there tuesday

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For the last decade I have not pushed the knee for more than five days at a time and often skipped an evening hunt if bugling was weak. I gave up that philosophy and hunted 9 of the last 10 days in the jungles of nidaho. Let's just say I had a lot of fun and intense in you face bugling action but the knee paid the price as I lay here with ice on it getting ready for the next round in 10 days. Highlights the intense bugling started on the 25th. Over the last 6 days I split the herd and had a very heavy six come in at eight yards, got in a bugling match with a nice six brought in to ten yards, his adversary a stud six by seven brought in to fifteen yards that came running from a mile away hearing the duel, a stud wheezer bull the craziest bugle ever brought in three times closest to eighteen yards, a chuckler medium six at fifty yards and a rag horn at eighteen who offered the only shot who got to walk away. Great intense action finally came on late and is what I live for. This tag will offer five days of rifle in late October if I can fill the watershed tag quickly and not abuse the knee too much👍

Attachments

• STC_0145.jpg
    STC_0145.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 167
  • STC_0144.jpg
    STC_0144.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 165
  • PICT0060.jpg
    PICT0060.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 161
  • PICT0057.jpg
    PICT0057.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 163
  • STC_0074.jpg
    STC_0074.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 161
OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to do some spotting tomorrow for the opener on Tuesday and get the pile of gear ready👊 Only question mark is my fnnnn knee👎

Attachments

• IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 189

Randle

WKR
Here's to rifle season and the elk cooperating . All I have is the last week of Oct now. But I will be ready again

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far not turning out as expected, but that is real world hunting😀Opening day of rifle season has often presented several options so you hope you make it the right decision. I chose the drainage where I knew of 3 very nice bulls knowing visibility is always an issue but bugling is typically there. An hour into daylight the coin toss is made take the small five pt at 40 yds or wait for the herd bull as screams his way in pushing cows. Visibility is 75ish yds and I am pinned with the little guy and the eventually 6 cows as the big guy takes his time glunking and screaming. A hunter bugles cross canyon trying to get an angle at about 400 yds. Time passes slowly wind is good uphill elk below. He is just out of sight 100ish yds, then one elk gets above you, you know the outcome before it occurs having been here many times over almost four decades. The one elk gets a whiff runs downhill taking all the elk as the bull goes as he came back into the next drainage escaping👎Had a couple of other encounters with elk and crazy weather, then the old man strains his back on day five...that is life and get ready for the next hunt in the watershed in one week. Lots of hunting to go.

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks for the update! It would have take every bit of restraint I had not to pull the trigger on the 5. (grin) With conditions being what they were! Did you consider a Lip Bawl on the big guy to draw him in just out of the fog in your direction? Chances were good with him glunking & bugling hard there was a hot cow amongst you guys, good chance he would have come your way with you being so close!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, I did not keep my bugle available otherwise it was getting used. I was in the thick jungle versus fog and the tube could not be grabbed without making noise with all those ears in close. My other thought was to stay quite with another hunter across who did have advantage of visibility and some small openings..did not want to hear him shoot him if I went aggressive ....thishappeneded two decades ago and that was not a good feeling 😀

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My other thought was to stay quite with another hunter across who did have advantage of visibility and some small openings..did not want to hear him shoot him if I went aggressive ....thishappeneded two decades ago and that was not a good feeling 

I know that feeling. I've had ML hunters shoot 5 bulls out from under me while working them the last 7 years. And never even knew or would have guessed that there was anyone within a mile of me each time.

ElkNut1

WKR
Were you in fear of lead flying your way or afraid if you shot it would give away that the bull with his herd was right there? Guess I was confused! (grin) What else is new! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
No fear of the lead or him knowing about the bull fear of me being the reason he shot the toad I was after🤙He had heard the bull as well thus his bugling😀

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taking off the for the

watershed this will be my first non otc elk hunt and something new to have the opportunity to see multiplecbulls at once👍Two days of glassing and the wife aka Blondie will be providing updates if cell service permits👊

OP
Ross

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
First day out spotting.

Attachments

• 1021170833.jpg
    1021170833.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 1021170833a.jpg
    1021170833a.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1671.jpg
    IMG_1671.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 101

MHWASH

WKR
Good luck Ross!

Be sure to eat your wheaties every morning. It will be a grueling hunt. I've been too scared to put in for that hunt again.