Montana, flathead valley

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone going out and braving the smoke? Hearing anything talking yet? was out on monday morning and didnt hear boo...really hope we get some rain and a little cooler weather

Was planning on tomorrow evening but my local honey hole is on Weyerhaeuser ground and with the closure our world just got a whole lot smaller around here

Last edited:
It's really tough I usually hunt in the Swan Valley. No chance right now can't even glass across the basin. I haven't gotten anything talking yet.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
I guess i wasnt aware of what you mention...did weyerhaeuser close all of there land to the public? I know on monday that the thompson river road was closed at like mm 26. When did they close it down?

I guess i wasnt aware of what you mention...did weyerhaeuser close all of there land to the public? I know on monday that the thompson river road was closed at like mm 26. When did they close it down?

Yes, Weyerhaueser is closed everywhere in Western Montana. This is as of 9/5 I believe.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Bummer...that has been my go to for the last few years...i guess time to explore...anyone have some syggestions

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Called in an absolute stud non typical this morning around 7:45. Got to my spot around 6:30 and just listened, dead quiet. After over an hour I couldn't take it any more and blew a series of cow calls and he answered immediately from I believe about a mile away. I cow called only every couple minutes and he answered every time on his way in. I hung miss septmber in a tree and closed the gap about 30 yards, i wasn't expecting him to come out were he did and he was staring right at me straight on at 60 or so yards then he turned and headed twords my original position and went behind some brush. I drew back and then he took his sweet time before coming out broadside at 40 yards by this time I was at full draw for I don't know how long but I was shaking like I was having a seizure. Needless to say I blew the shot.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome...i know that the rut if not already is about to be in full swing...we have been getting some decent action out there but definitely having to initiate the calling still not firing off by themselves.

OP
H

hunt_the_ridge

Lil-Rokslider
Hate it when they do that dirty little buggers...sounds like the rut is truly right around the corner.

Found that big non typical again this morning, had a couple cows with him. No bugles no cow sounds, totally quiet. There is supposedly 6 different cats in this bowl as well as wolves.

Last edited:
Same here. Was down by Avon over the weekend and they are herding up - big bulls, rags, and spikes with the cows... I think it's pretty much over for the year.

I called in a little 4 by 5 raghorn back in the mission mountains got him to 12 yards and put an arrow through both lungs but that was back on the 16th. I had 3 Bulls going that morning