Huntress needs advise!

Thumper

FNG
So my loving man and my self went hunting in Central Idaho on opening day. We found a herd of cows and calves with two 5x bulls and two spikes. Hubby was in a bad location and I think they saw him and bolted after the bull let out this high pitch single note scream. ( not sure if it was a " get the heck out of dodge" call or what.). So we came back the next few days to the same location at day light and stayed a few hours, they never showed back up. However, Labor Day rolled around and so did all the road hunters. We had gotten to the elk by a not very traveled dirt path. But the Atvers found it .

Question? How long till the elk go back to that spot again.

So we hiked all over the place and found some fresh bedding areas in draws. But the only water we could find was at least 3/4 of a mile. It was 95 to 100 degrees and extremely smokey. The elk were not talking.

Question? Is that to far away for water?
Do elk bed in the same area every day ?

What time do elk usually bed for the day?

So hubby had to leave for a few days and I did a lot of scouting and found a rough road not on the map . At the end of the road was a spring which they had going in to a large stock tank. It was on public land and there were cattle there. I put up a trail cam, but only for two days before I had to leave. In those two days, a 3x4 mule deer , and a few does and babies came in to drink.

Will elk use these "man made" water holes?

I will be going back up in a few days and will be left to fend for my self,
I was thinking of setting up a blind by the water hole. Is this a bad idea? While I have a deer tag I would really like to invite an elk to dinner. My tag is for any Elk. The weather is suppose to cool20 degrees and the smoke is lifting some.

Will elk visit a water hole with cows around?

Does a blind conseal your Oder ?

I have no issues getting to the blind at day break, but will have to ride my atv from camp a few miles.

How close can I get to the water hole with the atv and parked while I am in the blind. If I get to close will it scare off any potential elk or deer from coming to the water hole because of the smell?. The atv will just be sitting there turned off.

Last question, what is the best approach if I run into black momma bear and cub. I carry a 9 mm and have bear spray. Do I say " hey bear" and hope she goes away? Or do I prepare to be bear poop?

Thanks for any help and encouragement you can give.

Ginny

Last edited:
Elk can travel a whole lotta miles in one day. If the elk have been blown out of the area, there is no telling when they might be back. But I'd concentrate on those out of the way, places not being hunted by others if possible, especially if water is involved. So in short, yes they will use the cattle trough, and even tolerate the cattle. However with those hot temps, they might be feeding and watering at night. Those cooler temps should help alot.

If you run into a bear with cubs, and there is some distance between you and them, let momma know your there if you have concerns. If they are close, stay still and quiet, i.e., don't be perceived as a threat when in close proximity. If they smell you, but don't know where you are exacly, they will leave on their own.

My main suggestion is to try to find places where the elk aren't pressured. If it's a very rare occurrence, they may still use an area but they don't tolerate much. Elk bed around 9-10 am usually. Elk and cattle get along okay or badly according to a recent thread here. It probably is depending on available food in the area, etc. I wouldn't worry about bears too much while carrying a pistol. Good luck.

oldgoat

WKR
They can be a mile in about a third of the time a really healthy hunter can be and about ten times faster than me, they will drink from stock tanks, might be another group gets pushed into your first spot, might be the same ones and depends how spooked they were when they left. Me and my wife sometimes get in the bad habit of hunting a spot we like too much even though we aren't seeing much, better to hunt where you're seeing a lot of sign if you can.

GregB

WKR
Setting up on a water hole elk use is a good idea. I don't think there is anything that will keep animals from getting your scent even a blind. Figure out where the elk bed down and their route to the water whole then set upwind of there. A lot of times bulls will need water in the afternoon during the rut. If you run into a bear get your spray ready and try to back away. Personally I wouldn't trust a 9 to drop a charging bear.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I hope this reaches you, in "time" , Thumper !!
Having hunted Water holes (Springs, Wallows and Troughs) from Ground Blinds, several times,.. I would put your Blind out, 25 yd's, Min, to no more than 40 Yards, Max. away from the Water, NOT too close to A "Trail" and watch, the prevailing, WINDs ! Set up the blind under or, beside, a Tree or, two for, afternoon, Shade and to break up the outline. My experience with Range Maggots ( Moo Cows ) is if, too many, they WILL move, the Elk out, eventually. YES, Elk will drink from, cement/ plastic, Trough's ! Watch your "Noise" in the Blind, when, the elk start coming in ( you usually, can hear them ! ) and YES,.. they could still Smell you if, Wind is NOT,.. good !
Use a Range Finder to Range ALL possible "stopping spots" and shoot Straight !,.. Good Luck,.. Doug

As, far a Black Bears go,.. MOSTLY, they are afraid of, Man and will move away if, they smell you ! A Sow with Cub's being, an exception ! TRY to walk slow and SEE the Bear, first ! Raise your Bow and Arms, overhead "wave" them and,.. YELL ! I had a Cinnamon bear, coming up the Creek at me, last year, while walking to my blind. Yelling / waving my Bow, scared him off ( probably looked Big / scary to him ? ). PS; Bears, like to "Bathe" in Trough's ! They are usually, "harmless" and Black Bear "attacks",.. RARE ! Make SURE, you have GOOD, clear, "shooting Lanes" to the Trough for when, the Elk come in ! Again,.. good luck !

GKPrice

Banned
being "a bear' is about the only similarity between "black bears" and "grizzly/brown bears" - NORMALLY when a grizzly attacks a human it's either been scared or is protecting cubs and KNOWS it's gonna kick the shit out of you - both types are predators but black bears have been known quite a bit to single out a human(s) as prey so if the bear is acting particularly interested in you but not "charging" or popping jaws be very alert and cautious - I'd rather have a 30/30 in my hands than the biggest handgun in the world when a bear's coming ..

another thing to keep in mind is that a bear would rather ambush you if it's decided you're prey, watch your rear and periphery, if you're alone especially

Beendare

WKR
Thumper,
You haven't really found them. Key to elk is finding remote area where the sign is smoking hot. You have to cover a lot of ground...preferrably off trail. For example; a wallow that is muddy and has splashed water from a couple hours prior. Hunting a remote water source is a great strategy if you can get the wind right [which is tricky in the mtns] Elk rotate through areas. You have to read the sign as to whether its an area they use a lot....it could be they were spooked and just travelling through.