Post Thanks / Like

Elk in Downed Timber

Getting ready to head to southern CO and will be in an area with a lot of fallen trees. It was tough, and at times noisy, navigating through some spots last year. Any suggestions, thoughts, or strategies to share for this scenario?

Do elk change behavior to avoid it or just mosey on through and don't care at all?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's where the elk will be. I agree I hate everything about trying to hunt it but people avoid it and elk love it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

3. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elk make a good amount of noise in that stuff too at least in my experience they do I wouldn't worry to much about breaking sticks maybe unnatural noises like clothing rubbing but your foot breaking stuff isn't anything new to them they hear that all the time. I've walked right by cows inside 30 yds in thick fallen timber and make some basic twig breaking noises on accident sounded just like the elk I was walking by they never even knew I was there and I even walked right back by them when I backed out when I ran out of light before I could get an opp at the bull.

I've also noticed in the thickest downfall areas they sometimes travel through the same general areas as it relates to the terrain as well. One area in CO i hunt they almost always skirt this one edge and bed through out but the main travel area is just on the edge of the thickest part as it pinches up to a bench good stand spot but wind is always wrong in the morning since its blowing toward where the elk are coming from and the elk are bedded there by mid morning good spot for em tough to hunt because the wind and deadfall makes access to them tough. Thats why they are there.
    Last edited by Osprey; 6 Days Ago at 11:02 AM.

5. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are hunting timber the best thing you can hope for is rain and a wet forest floor.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm down here in SW colorado and there are down trees everywhere. The grass is also about waist high in various places so some of them are hard to see. I've found trails and beds in this stuff, but very few elk so far.

8. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get on the trail in/out and sit for hours waiting for them to come through. That slag is all that all I have to work with this year. Hope for good wind direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    when hunting elk in the timber there are 3 general rules:
    1) wind is everything
    2) wind is everything
    3) wind is everything

an elk or a band of elk will figure out straight away the sound of "something" trying to sneak - don't worry about noise as long as the wind is in your face, when it shifts you'll hear them leaving - don't sling your rifle, have it at the ready because the shot will likely be fast, a mature bull will sneak out the side, a spike will stop to look at you for a second or two and cows ? you never know what they're gonna pull

oh, and rule #4) never depend on some bozo giving you advice that's gonna come true ..........

11. Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GKPrice View Post
    when hunting elk in the timber there are 3 general rules:
    1) wind is everything
    2) wind is everything
    3) wind is everything

an elk or a band of elk will figure out straight away the sound of "something" trying to sneak - don't worry about noise as long as the wind is in your face, when it shifts you'll hear them leaving - don't sling your rifle, have it at the ready because the shot will likely be fast, a mature bull will sneak out the side, a spike will stop to look at you for a second or two and cows ? you never know what they're gonna pull

oh, and rule #4) never depend on some bozo giving you advice that's gonna come true ..........
    My thoughts exactly, if you want to hunt the snags and blowdowns, pray for WIND!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    My thoughts exactly, if you want to hunt the snags and blowdowns, pray for WIND!!!!!!
    elk don't seem to particularly like the wind, makes them very nervous IME - when I say "wind" I am talking about using it to your advantage and NOT the elks' - basically hunt with the wind in your face as much as possible