Question about carrying two weapons in MT

Hey all,

I haven't seen anything in the regs to make me think it is against the law... but wanted to see if anyone had any feedback or experience...

This is in MT:

I have a B tag that is open for rifle right now... but I also want to be able to archery hunt a bull while in the same unit (which is open for archery for brow tined bull)

So am I ok if I am wearing orange, and carrying a rifle and a bow? Fill the B tag with the rifle, and if I find a bull, fill the bull tag with a bow?

Thanks!

I am not intimate with the MT regulations/laws. But my best educated guess is NO. Here in Ca, hunting is considered any act of being in pursuit of. As such, any action, including glassing while having a weapon in your possession, is considered being in pursuit of that game species. However, hunting with one weapon and leaving the other in camp is considered legal.

I don't know that the same applies, but I hope it helps.

OP
rileybassman
I am not intimate with the MT regulations/laws. But my best educated guess is NO. Here in Ca, hunting is considered any act of being in pursuit of. As such, any action, including glassing while having a weapon in your possession, is considered being in pursuit of that game species. However, hunting with one weapon and leaving the other in camp is considered legal.

Does that restrict carrying a handgun while bow hunting? Because here we can carry a sidearm while archery hunting for sure...

Owenst7

WKR
Have you called/emailed the DOW? Email would be prudent so you have something in writing.

OP
rileybassman
Just got off the phone with fish and game... and the gal said that it was legal in that unit as long as I had orange on - I expressed that I was worried it could look fishy if I was carrying out a bull while holding a bow and a rifle, but she said it was legal and any warden could tell the difference in the wound.

For what it's worth... kind of surprised honestly, but excited for this weekend :)

OP
rileybassman
No clue why you couldn't do what you have asked about...

That was my first thought... till I thought about all the idiots that would poke a rutting bull from 400 yards... go up and put an arrow through the heart, and carry it out... just wanted to make sure I was in the clear.

I'm from WA originally... and they have crazy rules there that I am used to so it crossed my mind that i better check before heading out this weekend.

UtahJimmy

WKR
I'd only want to carry one weapon personally, and it would be the bow (unless hunting in grizz country and I'd have my sidearm) . My reasoning being that I have plenty of time in MT to fill that B tag with my rifle. The rut is on, this cooldown should get them a little more active, and I just love talking to elk with my bow in hand!

Good luck!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup- you're good to go :) I will add that it is very possible (make that very probable) that if you happen to bump into a warden out patrolling he might have a question or two- I know I certainly would :D

muddydogs

WKR

Montana and almost any or state isn't communist California so I would not compare what you can do in CA to anyplace else. Your statement about glassing just proves my point.

OP
rileybassman
yup- you're good to go :) I will add that it is very possible (make that very probable) that if you happen to bump into a warden out patrolling he might have a question or two- I know I certainly would :D
Yea kinda what I figured. She seemed to act like it was normal so maybe there are other crazies like myself out there lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Stein

FNG
Can't do it in WA either. I would agree to focus on the elk and I would leave the rifle behind. A b tag isn't hard to fill later after you are done with elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JUST FOR CLARITY. In Montana you may posses a handgun, concealed or not, while engaged in the lawful activity of hunting any species.

I agree that if you are found in possession of an elk rifle AND a bow you will have some explaining to do, but the explaining shouldn't last long once you produce the tag.