Sick

hobbes

WKR
No, I didnt wound or miss an animal. I'm actually sick at the front of my week off for elk hunting. I'm usually the last to get sick in our house and sometimes not at all even when it runs through everyone else. Its already been a tough year to get out due to circumstances out of my control. My wife and oldest son were sick last week, so I feared what may come. I avoided them like the plague, but here I am....sinus drainage, headache, low energy.....dang.

I slept in yesterday morning trying to beat it and hunted the evening instead of packing on camp as planned. Not a peep, but I found a really good bull with 9 cows just before dark. I sucked it up and hiked in this morning feeling like heck and got the same treatment.......not a peep and I could not relocate. I came back out to nap and haul my son around to his mowing jobs since it rained hos normal days out.

I'm stll feeling like heck. Ive got to med up about every 4 hours to keep it knocked back. Im planning to hike in for four days tomorrow. We'll see how this goes, but my hopes aren't running high.

elkguide

WKR
Good luck. Get what rest you can and get better.
Hunting when you're sick is really not the most fun.

Got some medicine? Maybe a good topic: What to take when sick during a hunt?

Whiskey?
Ny-Quill/Day-Quill?
Tylenol?
Herbal remedies?

All that said, hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Got some medicine? Maybe a good topic: What to take when sick during a hunt?

Whiskey?
Ny-Quill/Day-Quill?
Tylenol?
Herbal remedies?

All that said, hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If you are going to shoot some whiskey and burn one, do you think you will need the Tylenol and DayQuil?

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I'll just stick with the over the counter stuff, and I'm not in Colorado or Washington. :)

Heading out mid-day today.

My family doctor always says that getting over a cold usually takes about seven days with medicine, or about a week without the meds.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
I think your doc is right. Meds just take the edge off the simptoms.

Heading for the trailhead now

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you feel better soon. I am leaving for Newfoundland on a Moos hunt this weekend and my wife is currently sick. I think I need to go get a hazmat suit.

Lots of Vitamin C, and Day-Quil in the AM, Ny-Quil at bedtime. Take the Vit C several times a day, your body will not store it, and will flush the excess. 1000 mg AM, noon, and PM. Wilderness Athlete Hydrate & Recover several times a day to stay hydrated.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Should have stayed home. Pack in sucked on steep, slick, snow covered mountain once off trail. Now its windy, foggy, rain, and sleet. Im buried in my sleeping bag hoping im not a popsicle in the morning. I did see a luttle fresh elk sign while scaling the,mountain. Hooping gor better weather tomorrow and screaming bulls.

Are you hunting alone? If you are lucky enough to kill something, will you be able to gut it and pack it out? Can you call for some help if you do kill? Might be best to head back to civilization, and live to fight (hunt) another day. Good luck !!

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Ill have help if I need it. Elk have been in here, but only one distant bugle this morning. Feeling better, but this wet, half frozen, crunchy snow sucks. Ill have to call a bull in because there's no way I can slip in on one.

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Had to pack out. Dang near everything Ive got is wet. Busted my *** in a steep section loaded with full pack. Thought I was about to ride the pack to the bottom. Still ended up 75 yards from a cow halfway down. I may have shot her given the chance.

Heavy sleet again yesterday afternoon and more snow this morning. There are elk there but they arent doing anything, at least not making any noise. I cant hunt it effectively sliding down hill all the time. Call me whatever, but if I was hunting out of a more comfortable camp with a stove to warm up and a couple hunting partners to encourage each other it may be different. Crawling into a cold two man tent in miserable weather and sloshing around in wet snow just sucks. Not to mention we've got several more days of this in the forecast. I may go back to work instead of burning vacation time. (I'm really dragging to be considering work instead of hunting in September)

The fires and those fighting them definitely needed this, but I dont have to like hunting in it.

Is grabbing a hotel for the night an option? Run the clothes through a dryer in town, get a warm shower and a good night's rest and go back after it? Just a thought. Every time I have left a hunt early I have always regretted it, so just throwing out some options to you. If there's a way to make it work, then do it! Find a way to get back after them and remember that you have 300+ more days to wait until you can do this again. Best of luck!

OP
H

hobbes

WKR
Oh I'll keep hunting. I live here, so no hotel needed. My clothes are in the dryer and boots on the boot dryer while it rains outside. If I go back to work the next two days, I'll just take Mon and Tues off.

I'm mostly feeling sorry for myself and pissed off all at the same time. I think I killed a bull in 15 about 2 days after a similar day of disgust. :)

Had to pack out. Dang near everything Ive got is wet. Busted my *** in a steep section loaded with full pack. Thought I was about to ride the pack to the bottom. Still ended up 75 yards from a cow halfway down. I may have shot her given the chance.

Heavy sleet again yesterday afternoon and more snow this morning. There are elk there but they arent doing anything, at least not making any noise. I cant hunt it effectively sliding down hill all the time. Call me whatever, but if I was hunting out of a more comfortable camp with a stove to warm up and a couple hunting partners to encourage each other it may be different. Crawling into a cold two man tent in miserable weather and sloshing around in wet snow just sucks. Not to mention we've got several more days of this in the forecast. I may go back to work instead of burning vacation time. (I'm really dragging to be considering work instead of hunting in September)

The fires and those fighting them definitely needed this, but I dont have to like hunting in it.

I had a similar experience in central MT late last week/end. I was supposed to stay out there until this coming Sunday, but decided to pack up early because of all the moisture in the forecast. They certainly needed the rain/snow, but it didn't do anything to help the hunting. Seems like the elk just shut down during significant rain/snow events like this. I'm disappointed that my trip was cut short, but I'm glad that I saved some vacation time to head back out with a rifle later in the season.

Best of luck.