Need help deciding unit for CO 3rd rifle, 1st elk hunt ever. 22, 42, or 62 any good?

TauPhi111

WKR
Hi all,

First off, let me say thanks to everyone who has helped me out on other threads in planning my first (and very last minute) OTC elk hunt. The Rokslide community has been beyond helpful and very kind, and I hope one day I can pass on my knowledge along on here as well.

We've got much of the gear and logistics planning done, but we are having some trouble deciding a unit, partly due to inexperience, and partly due to the massive amount of information and variables to consider. A friend of mine who has some elk experience in CO recommended I look at units 22 (White River NF), 42 (Grand Mesa NF), and 62 (Uncompahgre NF). I know nothing about these units, so can anyone tell me a little bit about them or give some recommendations?

Also suggested were the cluster of 301,4,5,441, with the caveat that those units get slammed by hunters due to proximity to population centers. Are these any good?

These units are where I am going to start, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. By no means am I looking for anyone to give me a spot, but breaking down the pros and cons of these units or offering some useful information would be way helpful.

Thanks!

A lot of elk in 62 but a lot of hunters too. I think I've read it's one of the hardest hit units in the state. I live on the edge of 62 and 65. If you pick 62, I may be able to give you some intel where I've been seeing them, as it gets closer. Let me know if you need any info about the area too.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
A lot of elk in 62 but a lot of hunters too. I think I've read it's one of the hardest hit units in the state. I live on the edge of 62 and 65. If you pick 62, I may be able to give you some intel where I've been seeing them, as it gets closer. Let me know if you need any info about the area too.

Thanks Cody! I will definitely take you up on that if I go with this unit.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
301, it's tricky to hunt and likely to bore you to death. Send me a pm if you're interested about the terrain and public access trickery. It's not my cup of tea but it might be yours.