Stalked by a Big Kitty

I had my first experience last Friday night when we decided to pack up camp and head for a different area. It was only about 3 miles back to the trailhead, and within the first mile, I caught a quick glimpse of eyes off the side of the trail. They quickly disappeared into the thick timber, and we continued on our journey.

About a half mile from the truck, we heard a low pitch growl but didn't know exactly what it was. A quarter mile later I caught some movement off the edge of my headlamp beam. As soon as I turned, I noticed the cat crouched and staring directly at us from 25 yards. We raised our arms and talked loud and firm, but it just sat there. I finally pulled out the pistol and sent a warning shot down range just over his head. Even after the shot, the cat remained still for about 45 seconds before slowly turning and disappearing back into the brush. I wish my phone would have been accessible to snap a picture. This was the biggest cat I've ever seen. I'm guessing it was pushing 160-180lbs.

That was the longest quarter mile ever. Side arm and bear spray will now go with me every time I step out of the truck. Anyone else have any experience with mountain lions while elk hunting?

Gorp2007

WKR
I woke one up from a mid-morning nap here in the Black Hills while I was chasing turkeys this spring. I was cresting a hill and he (or she) was sleeping behind a rock. I saw it jump up and my first thought was "That doesn't look like a deer..." and when it got to the other side of the rock I saw the tail and realized it was a mountain lion. It stared at me from about 40 yards away as I swapped out my turkey shells for buckshot, then I snapped a really shitty cellphone picture that looks like something out of a Bigfoot documentary. It decided I wasn't worth the effort and just bounded off over the hill.

Like you said, it was a long walk back to the car.

Rangerz

FNG
This year in Nevada, I saw one trailing a rag horn elk. Tried to get a shot at it, but it stopped directly behind a tree.

Another group killed one a 15 yards that was trailing them.

Another guy saw 2 that were fighting while he was trailing a herd of elk.

Nevada has a lot of lions!