Bugle tube alternatives?

SWOHTR

WKR
Does anyone use something other than a bugle tube to make a bugle? That stupid plastic tube is the clumsiest piece of equipment (besides myself) that I take into the field. Big, hollow, and awkward, half the time I find myself wanting to throw it off the mountain. Wondering if anyone uses something different.

-Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the most convenient thing to carry around, but I don't have any big problem with it. Just throw the strap over one shoulder, and tuck the bugle behind your other shoulder to hike. For as much benefit that a good bugle tube gives me while hunting elk I wouldn't even think of leaving it home or replacing it for something less effective.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I will 3rd the - don't leave it at home and bring it.

I have been using a shorter tube from Berry Game Calls and I like the size a lot better for backpack hunting. I run my larger Phelps tube if I'm base camp hunting. Take a look at this Berry Golden Tone Shorty – Berry Game Calls

Joe

aggieland

WKR
I cut the end off a big plastic kids bat and then cut and melted the base end of it. It sucks carrying it around but that sucker will make some amazing tones.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I use one of the big ones, and I don't even notice it under my arm until I need it. I'd leave my bow at home before my bugle tube.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Huh... that's weird? I've heard of plenty of guys killing elk without a bugle tube. Never heard of any killing an elk without a weapon??? :p

Without my bow, I can at least have fun with the elk with my bugle tube. Without my bugle tube.......I might as well not have the bow either. I'm not out there to just kill an elk, I'm out there to enjoy myself. Walking around with a bow all day isn't much fun for me, UNLESS I'm having fun with the elk. Or having fun with other hunters out there.

OP
SWOHTR

SWOHTR

WKR
I will 3rd the - don't leave it at home and bring it.

I have been using a shorter tube from Berry Game Calls and I like the size a lot better for backpack hunting. I run my larger Phelps tube if I'm base camp hunting. Take a look at this Berry Golden Tone Shorty – Berry Game Calls

Joe

THAT is what I am looking for! Thank you. I agree that it is definitely beneficial (and fun), it's just awkward (I have the Phelps one that's the size of a whiffle ball bat and one that looks like a ring bologna; neither are "convenient" especially in the thick undergrowth of N Idaho). I'll give this one a try. Thank you!

Joe