Bugling in Oct in WY???

Grasp

FNG
I am going to my first Wyoming Elk hunt in two weeks. Opening day for my rifle tag is Oct 1st. Should I be calling and expecting bugling during this time or more spot and stalk opportunities. I've been on a few other Elk hunts but always early or late season so no calling before. I feel like I have a somewhat decent bugle with a diaphragm but might pick up a bite and blow to be safe.

I'll be in a unit about an hour east of Jackson Hole.

Any feedback is appreciated.

slick

WKR
+3. Agreed. Buddy drew a Black Hills rifle tag in SD and we'll sure as chit be calling. Almost feels like cheating. ;) Hopefully he tags out early, and I can sneak out to western MT for the last 10 days or so of archery elk. Good luck!

12ring

FNG
Absolutely, a few years ago I had a bull come in hot and heavy to cow calls on about Oct 5, about 20-30 yds w/ the 300RUM... wish I would have had my bow at the time!

hunt1up

WKR
I killed a WY cow with my rifle a few years ago. It was a bugle fest on 10/7. We opened the truck door and the bulls were going crazy, which helped lead us right to the herd. Pretty handy!

OP
G

Grasp

FNG
Great feedback guys. Thanks. Heading down this Saturday, wish me luck!

Ive been hunting wyoming for a few weeks. They were talking early and then shut up. The Warden told me where im at thats normal then usually in october they start getting really loud, hope thats true as well, cause its been dead for last two weeks, maybe one bugle every 4 days.