Things I Learned on my first elk hunt

Now that ML season is over, here are some things I learned on my first elk hunt.

attachment.php

• Route the drinking tube on the the non shooting shoulder.
  • I will be too worn out after the evening hunt to cook. Eat the big meal in the middle of the day.
  • Flat rocks work great as make shift grills.
  • Don't assume the first shot was good; if it's standing, shoot again.
  • Don't get distracted by the big bull when you have a cow tag.

After not seeing anything the first few days of muzzleloader season with my uncle, I went back out on the last day on my own. That afternoon, I got a shot on a huge cow at 50 yards. A bull elk was bugling in the dark timber. I had a cow tag and hoped he might have some with him. I made a move to get the wind in my favor. I could hear an elk coming to check me out and quickly got into a shooting lane. It's body was so big I was sure it was the bull. Then it walked into the opening, no horns. She stopped broadside with her head behind a tree. I raised, aimed, and squeezed. It looked like a good shot right behind her shoulder. She ran 40 yards across the hill and stopped. As I was reloading a big bull strolled down to where she had been when I fired. He stood there for a bit, then they both took off down the ravine. I started trailing the cow, but couldn't find any blood. Not where she was shot, not where she stopped for 30-60 seconds down below me, not along her trail down the ravine. I went back to the start and checked again. Nothing. I went back to where I fired from and followed the bullet path. It had hit a branch stub thinner than my wrist sticking up from a dead fall tree. An inch and a half up or to either side and my freezer would have been full of elk. Next time.

[video=youtube_share;flk9BaUyQo0]https://youtu.be/flk9BaUyQo0[/video]

[video=youtube_share;0a_W3UV3j30]https://youtu.be/0a_W3UV3j30[/video]

Attachments

• IMAG3024~2.jpg
    IMAG3024~2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,066

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had trouble even finding the holes in my daughter's bull after he was down.......no blood at all coming out of them. I had heard that before from other ML hunters. Not sure what to make of it. Found one of the slugs against the offside hide and it's mushroomed up about the size of a quarter so it did it's job........just no blood anywhere for whatever reason.

bz_711

WKR
SOOO much is learned that first hunt...I'd consider it a success...I think you might be hooked. Thanks for sharing.

elkduds

WKR
I remember the Ones That Got Away more than some of the elk I took home. That's hunting:p
Sounds like a great hunt for the time spent. CO ML hunting gets better when there is weather and after the 1st 3 days, when most hunters go home in my experience.

OP
DenverCountryBoy
I'm definitely hooked. Can't wait to get back up there for 2nd rifle season.

5MilesBack,
I've seen reports like that on some of the ML forums. I trailed her over a half mile and she was still moving. And there was a bull and cow talking on the same ridge the next morning. I was shooting a .50 Cal 245gr powerbelt aerotip on 100 grains of pyrodex RS. I think it shattered when it hit the branch, at least that is what my ruptured eardrum is telling me. I'll definitely switch bullets next year. Looking at Thor and Federal BOR lock MZ.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll definitely switch bullets next year. Looking at Thor and Federal BOR lock MZ.

The BOR Locks were recommended to me, so I bought four packs to try (two copper, and two lead). None of them stay put in my barrel. They slide around from breach to muzzle once seated. I must have a larger bore than .500 on my Omega, but the Powerbelt Platinum 338gr bullets seated just fine and shot great. So that's what we went with.

Let me know if you're ever going to be in the Springs, I'll sell you the BOR Locks if you want them.

I'm definitely hooked. Can't wait to get back up there for 2nd rifle season.

5MilesBack,
I've seen reports like that on some of the ML forums. I trailed her over a half mile and she was still moving. And there was a bull and cow talking on the same ridge the next morning. I was shooting a .50 Cal 245gr powerbelt aerotip on 100 grains of pyrodex RS. I think it shattered when it hit the branch, at least that is what my ruptured eardrum is telling me. I'll definitely switch bullets next year. Looking at Thor and Federal BOR lock MZ.
Anything you switch to will be an improvement over a power belt, especially one that light. Power belts are easy to load, but you're far from the only person you have sub par terminal performance. My personal preference and recommendation is an all lead, 350+ gr maxi. Brand doesn't matter as long as the gun likes them and they're heavy. That will get you enough penetration to shoot down the length of a deer' s spine, ball every rib and keep on going.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Powerbelt have a bad reputation for a reason.Even here in the South shooting whitetail with their thin skin very seldom would you get a pass through and never have I had one on a hog of any size. I typically found the animals but there was never a blood trail.

I can attest to the minimal-no blood from muzzleloader harvested elk. While I only have two tags notched with a ml, in both instances there was no blood trail to speak of. Both bulls were shot at less than 100 yards. One large bull at 50ish yards the bullet did not exit. The other 4x4 at 80 yards and the bullet did exit. Both bulls were broadside, picture perfect shots, right behind the crease of the shoulder. Both bulls died in seconds, the farthest went maybe 20 yards. My partners bull at 100 yards this year, broadside and hit right behind the shoulder exited as well and yet no blood trail in spite of the fact he went 60-80 yards. All three bulls killed with No Excuses 460g all lead conical bullets. Big chunks of lead placed properly and lack of a blood trail hardly seems to matter when they die so quickly. I have been somewhat surprised how effective a muzzleloader is on elk. Last thought, based on extensive research with regard to other hunters experiences, Power Belt bullets are to be avoided for elk hunting. There are too many reported instances of failure in my humble opinion.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's a pic of the 338gr Platinum Powerbelt that embedded against the offside hide on a broadside behind the shoulder hit. I weighed it at 199gr that's left of it. If we would have had more time, I would have ordered the Thor bore size kit and a bunch of those bullets for the hunt. But I can't complain too much of how this Powerbelt performed. The bull only went about 30 yards.

Attachments

• 100_3695.jpg
    100_3695.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 106

bwlacy

WKR
Does anybody shoot Barnes bullets for Elk? I love those things on White tails. Great shooting, hold together, and decent blood trails. I don't know anyone around here that has muzzle load hunted for elk to ask.

Powerbelts have earned a bad reputation with bullet performance. Countless stories of no blood trail and lost game!

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
So i have been shooting the powerbelt aerotips .270 grain with consistency and accuracy. You fellas still think a change is needed? If yes what brand/bullet/grain would you recommend.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So i have been shooting the powerbelt aerotips .270 grain with consistency and accuracy. You fellas still think a change is needed? If yes what brand/bullet/grain would you recommend.

For elk.....absolutely! The next time one of my daughter's gets a ML tag she'll be shooting No Excuses 420gr or 460gr bullets.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
For elk.....absolutely! The next time one of my daughter's gets a ML tag she'll be shooting No Excuses 420gr or 460gr bullets.
Sounds good thanks for the info! As a vet elk hunter what amount of blackhorn 209 you suggest for the no excuses? I shoot currently 130 grains by volume out of my accura v2 Lr.

I learned a lot of things on my first elk hunt.

Really the only piece of gear I had other than my cheap heavy camo and a POS pair of boots, was a brand new bow. So I learned right then and there, it was time to start buying gear. A 5 year plan to get all the gear to survive in the Backcountry. I'd read all the threads on the different forums, and if I could survive 19 days in the NM elkwoods from truck camp, surely the Backcountry is within reach ;)

I learned about food, and how I needed to change my diet in the elkwoods. I lost over a pound a day for 25 total pounds of weight loss. Even though I ate like a king at camp every night.

I learned a little about thundering mountain downpours complete with lightning. Scary when a bolt hits nearby like within 100 yards, and shakes the ground at your feet and seeing a lodgepole smokin.

I learned it isn't like watching the hunting channel. They don't come running in everytime you hit the hoochie mama.

I learned elkhunting is fun!

I learned it's very draining after a week or two of getting up at 4:30 and hunting until dark and sometimes not getting back until way late.

I learned how to blow opportunities. I learned what it was like to get my azz handed to me by the elk and the elkwoods.

I learned to get back up and dust myself off when I got my dagumasswhooped by the mountain.

I could go on and on. It was that hunt that I learned I had turned into a bowhunter and had an addiction. One for which there is no cure. Good luck in the Elkwoods everyone! It's coming soon!