*Looking for Elk caliber/rifle/bullet suggestions and feedback*

Gorp2007

WKR
In a Tikka, I'd recommend the 30-06 over the .308 simply because you're aleady buying a long action rifle, so why not take advantage of the long action cartridge? This is especially true if you handload or plan to handload. I've got a T3 in 30-06 with the Limbsaver pad and don't see a need for a brake, but everyone's different. The Limbsaver is a HUGE upgrade over the stock pad, which has a plastic rib running through the middle of it to ensure maximum transfer of energy to your shoulder. I would also rate myself as somewhat recoil sensitive (primer failures in my 45-70 make me look especially foolish).

kcm2

WKR
With a decelerator, or other top end recoil pad, you can shoot a rifle with more recoil than you might think. My 270 is 6.5 lbs scoped and loaded. I've killed a lot of elk with it. I'm a lefty. It's a 700 LH with a glass stock and #1 contour barrel. You could do that with your 06 and drop 1.5 lbs or better.

For low recoil and good long range ballistics, you can't beat the 6.5x284. For optimum kill power, I'd encourage you to research the 7mm Remington Magnum. You'll have a little more recoil than a 270 or 308, but the added kill range is well worth it, imo. Recoil pads are super helpful, but the only way to fully overcome flinch issues is time behind a trigger.

kicker338

WKR
Surprised no one has mentioned the 280 rem. it's only 100fps. behind the 7mm mag. with less wt. and a 2in shorter barrel. hand loads which I do puts it even closer to the mag. Remington 160 factory loads for a 160gr. bullet is about 2940fps. and my 280 will do the same with 160gr. bullets and those are choreographed loads too with no high pressure signs.

Tikka T3X 300wsm. I use a Limbsaver pad and a muzzle brake. Total weight with scope 7 3/4 pounds.
Great backcountry rifle!

Gumbo

WKR
Tikka 7mm Rem Mag with Federal Premium loads using Barnes TSX 160 grain bullets. Flat and deadly with enough punch to blow through any elk bones at any angle. Federal factory loads are no longer available with these bullets but they are great. I shoot them in my Tikka 25-06 as well and would not hesitate to shoot an elk with that rifle at reasonable distances. I am scared to think of what will happen when my stash runs dry of Federal Barnes for my two calibers! I think Barnes is now making their own factory loads which I will try next, in a few years. Fortunately I only average about 2-3 rounds a year through each rifle.