*Looking for Elk caliber/rifle/bullet suggestions and feedback*

Plj271

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning an elk hunt in 2018 in Colorado. I am kicking around the idea of getting a new rifle. I currently have a Ruger M77 30.06, but it is pretty heavy. I like the feel of the Tikka T3 and leaning toward something light for long hikes. I am looking at .270 win or .308, I want something I can shoot a lot and get accurate with without developing a flinch. You guys are the pros, let know your thoughts. Only kicker is that I shoot left-handed. Thanks in advance.

I recommend .308. It kicks less and I prefer 30 cal size holes in elk. You can't beat the 165 or 180 grain partitions, and the accubonds get rave reviews as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I currently use a .308 T3 with 150gr TTSX. I shot a bull elk using a 150gr core-lokt as well at 230 yards which worked wonderfully, although I would prefer 165gr+ if using traditional lead bullets. It's all going to come down to personal preference, but the great new is you can't go wrong with either!!

ChukarUp

FNG
I just sold my 300 WSM with a brake and my 7mm-08, and bought a Tikka T3 in 30-06. Strategy was to go ultra light and have a single do-it-all rifle. Absolutely love the way the Tikka shoots. Very accurate (clovers at 100 yards) with the first two ammos I've shot so far. From my limited experience the Tikka is everything it's advertised to be. So are brakes...they make a magnum much more enjoyable to shoot, and being able to see down range (with the right brake) is a huge bonus. They are every bit as loud as people say, and without ear protection, damaging your ears is a very real risk. Having said all that, I have personally moved away from brakes. There is a trade off either way. I have not hunted with the new rifle yet. First elk hunt with it will be in November. I believe 30 cal is the way to go for elk. Which cartridge you choose, in my opinion should depend on how far you intend to shoot. I'm confident out to 300 yards, and I believe a 30-06 will do the trick trick at this range on elk. I'd be hesitant to shoot a mature bull much beyond the mid 300's with an 06. That's my two cents. Good luck.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
30-06 and a good recoil pad (use a slip on at the range if you want to leave the stock pad alone) shouldn't make you flinch. The extra velocity is handy if you want to shoot a bit further vs the 308.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are they as loud as everybody says?

Yes, they are loud. But earplugs take care of that and the trade off far outweighs having to carry plugs. I have brakes on every rifle I own and will always use them. I have a tikka in 06 ackley and it is a wonderful backcountry setup.

Randy

Pn8hall

WKR
I am shooting a Tikka 30-06 and it is the best shooting gun I have ever owned. The action on Tikka's is silky smooth. It is a tackdriver for sure. I researched for months before I landed on the 06 caliber. There is so much info out there that it can be overwhelming on choosing a caliber. Ultimately it comes down to what caliber you can shoot accurately with and makes the most sense for you if you plan to use it for different game species. For me that is the 30-06. Any of the calibers you are looking at will work as long as you practice and shoot them well. Also do yourself a favor and check out Whittaker Guns. They have left hand Tikka's for $619 in 30-06 or .308 both are the stainless version. That is a smoking deal. They also have right hand versions for even cheaper than that. Good luck!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I am planning an elk hunt in 2018 in Colorado. I am kicking around the idea of getting a new rifle. I currently have a Ruger M77 30.06, but it is pretty heavy. I like the feel of the Tikka T3 and leaning toward something light for long hikes. I am looking at .270 win or .308, I want something I can shoot a lot and get accurate with without developing a flinch. You guys are the pros, let know your thoughts. Only kicker is that I shoot left-handed. Thanks in advance.
I know rifles are different and one may shoot better with one particular round than another. I have a Sako .06 and tried a few different Federal rounds and a few others and I had the best results with Hornady Precision Hunter, .30-06 Springfield, ELD-X, 178 Grain

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Count me as one who doesn't care for the ergs on the Tikka. It just doesn't fit me. I'm not a fan of box magazines, some are. It does have a silky smooth action, is accurate and well made. So are lots of rifles.

I would tell you, in this day and age, my opinion is that the rifle has to fit and work for you, not against you, and the caliber doesn't matter so much anymore. So maybe try a few on for fit and see what you think. A 165 from a .308 and a 150 from a .270 are going to kill something just as dead.

308 or 30-06 are hard to go wrong with. If you put a limbsaver recoil pad on a T3x in 30-06 you shouldn't have flinching problems. In your situation that's what I would get.

308 or 30-06 are hard to go wrong with. If you put a limbsaver recoil pad on a T3x in 30-06 you shouldn't have flinching problems. In your situation that's what I would get.

Ive got a T3X 30-06 with a limbsaver pad on it. Never shot it with the stock pad. I think the recoil is very manageable. I havent shot more than 20 rds at at a time.

OP
P

Plj271

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got a T3X 30-06 with a limbsaver pad on it. Never shot it with the stock pad. I think the recoil is very manageable. I havent shot more than 20 rds at at a time.

Which Limbsaver pad did you go with?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Airtech precision fit.
I have an .06 and range time can get painful. Got a shoulder pad from Gampsports.com. it's small and fits into a small pocket in the shirts they sell. Works very well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm a left handed shooter . and I prefer a lever action I use a 325 wsm browning . I love it and doesn't have a big kick. they have them in a 308 too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk