Our first DIY OTC elk hunt review, recap and questions

wihunter1

FNG
Hello all, Below is our trip review and a few questions. :)

We recently returned from our 100% OTC DIY public land elk hunt (SEP 7th-15th) and wanted to share some of what we learned. This was both of our first times ever elk hunting (two brothers from WI, 23 and 27 years old). We stayed in a truck camper and walked into our spots of interest daily. We hunted mostly in dark timber and were lucky enough to get into elk more days than not that we hunted. We also managed to take a cow just over half way through the trip and overall had an amazing trip! We met some great locals and a few other out of state hunters that for the most part were extremely kind and generous with their information for a couple of first time hunters.

Things we wished we had known before we went out: We both thought we might be able to cut down on our walking distance by shortcutting the trails. Due to the steepness we were wrong and our plan for walking was lengthened a bit. It was much smarter to walk 2 miles on a trail and then .5 miles off then it was to walk 1 mile straight to the area of interest. Walking longer distances was ok the first few days but we soon realized that this wasn’t sustainable.

Had we sat up and glassed daily we would have been able to see elk but they were usually really far away. Much too far for us to make a move on them. We expected to locate them with a bugle but they were silent, in fact when they heard our locator bugle they moved the other direction. We ended up still hunting near bedding areas making quite cow calls which was much more effective.
There is a lot of hype for sitka/ first lite/ kuiu clothes and ultimately it's preference. We saw people in camo jeans and button ups and people in 500 dollars worth of clothes hunting together. Ultimately, do research on the weather and just get gear accordingly. For us lighter weight was the ticket. We both used merino wool socks but both had different brands so try multiple brands out. By brother had wet feet from sweat by 8am but mine were dry. (Also depends on the person)
We used day packs (eberlestock X1 and X2) to haul our meat out which was fine for the cow but if you harvest a bull a frame would be better. (we tested day packs to comfortably handle around 50lbs) You don't need a 400 dollar frame to haul meat..a decent Goodwill or rummage sale find will do. Just test it out hauling +/- 50 lbs of sand.

Things/gear we really appreciated having along:
KT Tape - One of us had some sore spots on our feet after a few days of walking and the KT Tape not only stopped any foot irritation but we couldn’t feel it on our feet at all.
Light T Shirts - We both had light shirts (loose under armour like) fitting tops that we either bought at Cabelas or Fleet farm. We each almost exclusively wore these when walking and wore them most of the afternoon.
Good boots - Wear them a lot before the trip and although it sounds silly, walk sideways on the steepest incline u can find because that's what you'll be doing.
Coffee - don't forget coffee. Our typical day consisted of leaving the truck at 5am and getting back around 10:30pm. Coffee and quality snacks throughout the day we're a must.

We had a blast and there really is no substitute for boots on the ground experience and knowing what we know now we feel like we could have a much smoother trip/have better chances to get bull next trip. (Of course there will be another trip).

Now for the questions,

1. We made an effort to look for bedding areas on north facing slopes and while we found bedding areas there, we noticed that there was also a decent amounts of bedding areas on slopes facing the other 3 directions. I guess my questions for you all would be if it really matters in dark timber? I understand in open areas where the sun is hitting the forest floor it can heat up a little quicker and therefore the northern facing slope is really important for keeping cool. It felt like the temperature difference was lessened in the dark timber.

2. We were able to figure out what the elk in our area were doing in the hours surrounding sunrise and sunset but we never really figured out what they were up to in the daytime hours. We figured they were just bedded but we did hear one bugle rip off around 1pm that we were pretty sure was an elk and not a hunter. Can anyone shed some light on their daytime tactics? We thought we might try sitting over a wallow or creek but we didn’t find any wallows that were heavily used or any creeks we felt allowed for a nice sit.
IMG_20170913_122820.jpgIMG_20170913_123000.jpg

Sounds to me like you did everything right. I'd definitely spike camp in next time as if you think those distances are hard when you are upper 20's, wait until you get into your 40's and 50's. At any age, it is just easier to limit your before daylight and after dark walking from long hikes.

Been my experience you find elk where you find them. In heavily hunted areas, its where people don't look for them. While the norm is cool northern aspects, its the norm. So, everyone that map scouts from afar is looking for these claimed areas and put their boots on the ground in them. Just remember that. Same with elevation. Seems most everyone says high. Well, that is true in unpressured areas. However, its been my experience to find them in deep dark holes in the OTC units of CO, below access points because much fewer want to pack meat up hill. Throw in a splash of private land and it gets even better once the smoke poles start belching. As, it tends to push them back on the public land.

The key to hunting OTC units is adapting to the pressure. If you have the days, spend a little time driving your area and seeing where people are camping, which tends to tell you where they are hunting. Just ask them if you see them. And use this info to go where no one says they are going. If there is enough people hunting there, that is where you will find the elk.

Being you are from out of state and, your time is limited, I would use the midday to scout out areas. When you find sign, plan to hunt it that evening. Staying in the woods low key like until you find them is so important for guys like us that don't get the luxury of living with them. And, use your cow calls. We all love the bugle and the elk know that. So, until you get an aggressive elk to work with, act like a cow sneaking around looking for companionship. Remember, to kill them, you got get up with them and stay with them. Waiting on the right time to be aggressive by put yourself in the position to kill'em. Sounds like you did pretty dang good at doing just that. FWIW, I'm no elk hunting expert. This has just been my limited experience. God Bless.

bz_711

WKR
Sounds like you are enjoying the journey...which is most important. And nice job on the cow success...I still believe a cow with archery is every bit as hard (or harder) than a bull based on my own experience...again, congrats and enjoy that fine meat!

Like said above that North facing bedding is just the norm. You can find them bedded in any little fold or pocket that provides enough shade/breeze to keep them comfortable during that days weather.

ChrisS

WKR
Hello all, Below is our trip review and a few questions. :)

1. We made an effort to look for bedding areas on north facing slopes and while we found bedding areas there, we noticed that there was also a decent amounts of bedding areas on slopes facing the other 3 directions. I guess my questions for you all would be if it really matters in dark timber? I understand in open areas where the sun is hitting the forest floor it can heat up a little quicker and therefore the northern facing slope is really important for keeping cool. It felt like the temperature difference was lessened in the dark timber.
Like WV Mountaineer posted .... elk are where you find them, I guess. I'm a rookie, too and didn't even have an elk tag this season, which - of course - is why at 9am on the first morning I was in woods, I glassed a half-dozen elk feeding and meandering around an east-southeast facing slope about 1,000 yards from and a 1,000 ft above a well-traveled road in the middle of a national forest. The bull had a great view of the road when he and a cow bedded down. It wasn't an OTC unit, but there were plenty of hunters in there. My guess is that there weren't any hunters on that particular mountain and it rained like hell the night before and maybe they just wanted a little morning sun to warm up with.

Thunder head

Lil-Rokslider
For one of you to get an Elk on your first try is pretty impressive. Congrats to you both.

My favorite saying about OTC elk hunting. Elk are where you find them! Its great to have a plan going in, but you need to be real flexible.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Congrats!

On the gear front it may get lost in the chatter but of course you don't NEED the nicer clothes and packs. However having started in basic clothes and using an X2 also I can say its more comfortable using the nicer items. More comfortable can be nice when energy is low, weather sucks, etc. Obviously don't let lack of the nicer gear keep you out of the game but over the years upgrading pieces can be beneficial. The clothes don't have the be camo but nicer outdoor gear usually does perform better (fit/stretch/drying/etc) Long story short its not all koolaid hype (though there certainly is some of that mixed in).

danarnold

WKR
The key to hunting OTC units is adapting to the pressure. If you have the days, spend a little time driving your area and seeing where people are camping, which tends to tell you where they are hunting. Just ask them if you see them. And use this info to go where no one says they are going. If there is enough people hunting there, that is where you will find the elk.

in my experience we never really hunted super close to where we camped (not the smartest move) and the other camps we saw would travel past us am & pm to hunt, not next to their own camp...

most of my elk were taken at mid day, the elk would get up and do a stretch and move around enough to get killed.

this year in Co we went to a spot I was successful at the previous year, I scouted a day before season and put my friend (1st time elk hunter) in a meadow that had great sign, he took a bull by 7am opening day, I hunted the spot where I had taken a 6pt last year w/o seeing much sign, I ended up taking a cow in the spot I put him in opening day on Monday am.
not that often non res gets a bull opening day, or both people in the party are successful

there was probably at least 20 hunters that went way past the area we used daily, talked to several that saw animals but never got on em.

Good work on your part, congrats!
stay tuned to this station to become better at this obsession

Last edited:
OP
wihunter1

wihunter1

FNG
Thanks for all the responses! We appreciate the responses saying the elk just are where they are....That makes sense along with what we noticed. I guess just one more reason the boots on the ground scouting is so valuable. Hopefully this all makes the second trip that much more enjoyable.