2nd elk hunt recap

Just returned from Colorado from my 2nd DIY archery OTC elk hunt. Unfortunately, no elk were harvested. But I had a great time with my dad and uncle. The elk were not very vocal. Heard very few bugles at night and even fewer during the day. I talked with several other hunters at trailheads and campsites and all had the same stories, few elk sightings, very little bugling.

On Monday, I did have a great encounter that nearly ended in my first elk. I hiked into a canyon early Monday morning. I heard a bugle about 15 min after daybreak and got him to respond to my locator bugle. I kind of had an idea where the bull was so I went in that direction. Unfortunately, the deadfall was horrendous and it took me nearly 2 hours to get to the general area I thought the bull was, by this time he had gone silent and was nowhere to be found. So, I dropped down the mtn, crossed a creek and went to the other side of the canyon. I was easing along the other side when I heard a bugle. I bugled back and the bull responded. I started glassing the other side of the canyon (the side I was on earlier) and spotted elk moving in the timber. I gave another bugle and the bull responded again. So I took off. I dropped straight down the side of the mtn about 300ft to the creek. I fell in the creek trying to cross it. Scrambled up the hill towards the bull. He was still bugling hard. I moved as fast as I could up the hill towards him. Everytime I would come to some deadfall to cross, I would bugle and he would bugle right back. I finally made it to the area the bull was in after ascending about 700-800ft. I planted myself on the edge of an aspen grove and the bull was screaming his head off. I spotted a small satellite bull moving up the hill to my left and a handful of cows in the timber above me. The bigger bull was bugling hard. I cow called and then bugled and he bugled so loud I thought he was going to blow my hat off! He was coming in on a string, straight across the aspen grove, a beautiful 5x5. As soon as he hit the aspen grove edge about 80 yds away, I got ready to draw. At the same time, I felt the wind hit me in the back of the neck. The bull, standing in the wide open 80 yds from me, stuck his nose in the air and turned and hightailed it out of there! I tried to pursue him but it was futile to say the least. Oh well, one hell of an experience!

Tuesday evening it snowed and we woke up to 5" Wednesday morning. I hiked all over the mtn following elk tracks but never could get on any.

Thursday I pursued a raghorn bull for about 2 hours up a mtn. I finally lost him in a thick old burn, only to suddenly spot him about 20 minutes later feeding in the burn. I stalked to within 150 yds of him, but the wind was gusting 50mph and swirling badly. He smelled me and took off down into a hell hole that wasn't worth the effort.

Those were my encounters. I also saw dozens and dozens of mule deer and 4 bull moose. One was a whopper.

I'm already planning my 3rd elk hunt!

bz_711

WKR
Hard to beat Sept in the mountains chasing elk...looks like the addiction has gotten a hold of you as well:)