Rocky Mountain High

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
A few supporting pics... great trip and glad I could help.

The blood pic was the largest of the lot and within 50' of the initial hit. Most of the rest of the trail, a single drop every 5-10yds for nearly 1/4 mile. I would mark last blood and Matt start searching for the next speck.
5629765581d2622d31c10ee64b9e0595.jpg
602fc970aa99e7778d496cd8f7b57829.jpg
49ac21f4f1d90a606e4e7cdac1277a06.jpg
3fd9d044a00430b598ac1b1a6d0f54c6.jpg
fe49e4db5d703ba2bf921d8a6fcb861a.jpg

3aa2bdc6ff0e96d999423739905e67a1.jpg

Bill - I appreciate the extra pics and vids...BUT MORESO appreciate all your hard work packing two full loads off the mountain!!! You have a couple "pack credits" on account with me...

I'll never forget that day...and I sure won't forget that fist pump after I shot the bull...pretty cool you caught that moment:)

MtnHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations, and thanks for the great write-up! The time between the shot and finding him is always so nerve wracking!

Bl704

WKR
Congratulations, and thanks for the great write-up! The time between the shot and finding him is always so nerve wracking!
I can't speak for Matt, but definately a bit of an emotional roller-coaster with as little blood as there was. Trying to follow tracks on a mountainside, already riddled with random tracks, had us looking in all the wrong places (to low) for a good hour. Once we got on some kind of blood trail I think the spirits started lifting a tad, but we're still coupled with confusion as to how little blood we were seeing...till Matt crested the rise and said "Bill, I think I see him"...

Bails-UK

FNG
Great write up Matt, so happy for you my friend, you deserve all the success you get and earn it everytime. My only regret is not being there to share the moment #gettinerdone

bozeman

WKR
Great Read! Thx for sharing. Maybe one day. Can't find anyone in Bama that wants to give it a try. Trying to build up the courage to try it on my own.

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
I can't speak for Matt, but definately a bit of an emotional roller-coaster with as little blood as there was. Trying to follow tracks on a mountainside, already riddled with random tracks, had us looking in all the wrong places (to low) for a good hour. Once we got on some kind of blood trail I think the spirits started lifting a tad, but we're still coupled with confusion as to how little blood we were seeing...till Matt crested the rise and said "Bill, I think I see him"...

Roller Coaster for sure...I have to say about an hour in I got a little nervous...but honestly never felt that we would not find him, I knew the shot looked good, and I was 99% sure he was dead...I was just thinking this could be a long night because I'm not sure I would have given up:)

Congrats and what broadhead?

Carbon Express Torrid SS broadheads. I don't blame any of this on the broadhead, I think it was just a perfect storm of going through the meaty part of leg and some kind of flesh plugged the hole. I started shooting these heads in 2011 and have shot multiple elk, deer, and a turkey...and this was the first animal I had to track, I have seen or heard all the others fall...I love these heads (although they are cheap in price and might not be strongest ferrule).

Great write up Matt, so happy for you my friend, you deserve all the success you get and earn it everytime. My only regret is not being there to share the moment #gettinerdone

Thanks Dave! You were there when it all started...You, Mark, and I climbing those boulders up the mountain on my first morning out...didn't see any elk that 1st day but I was hooked:)

Great Read! Thx for sharing. Maybe one day. Can't find anyone in Bama that wants to give it a try. Trying to build up the courage to try it on my own.

Don't give up...you'll love it. I highly recommend teaming up if possible, makes the journey more enjoyable and almost a necessity should you get one. Good Luck - plenty of info on this site to help you get it all arranged.

Finch

WKR
Congrats Matt! Loved the story and great pics. Maybe it was best that you did miss that satellite!

"Unfortunately his best encounter did not end up with the arrow being released…he was able to come to full draw on a spike bull at 25 yards and as often happens with archery gear, the vitals were behind a tree and he needed the bull to take 1 more step…which did not happen."
Congrats on a great hunt and nice writeup. I noticed you mentioned an encounter with a spike early in your story and saw you'd mentioned previously in another thread that this was a general unit. Not trying to be critical but was this a unit that allowed spikes as most of the units where you can shoot a spike are limited draw units and not ones that can be hunted with an OTC tag unless I'm misunderstanding something. Just wanted to be sure you were aware of that for future hunts. Perhaps this was one of the limited units?

OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
"Unfortunately his best encounter did not end up with the arrow being released…he was able to come to full draw on a spike bull at 25 yards and as often happens with archery gear, the vitals were behind a tree and he needed the bull to take 1 more step…which did not happen."
Congrats on a great hunt and nice writeup. I noticed you mentioned an encounter with a spike early in your story and saw you'd mentioned previously in another thread that this was a general unit. Not trying to be critical but was this a unit that allowed spikes as most of the units where you can shoot a spike are limited draw units and not ones that can be hunted with an OTC tag unless I'm misunderstanding something. Just wanted to be sure you were aware of that for future hunts. Perhaps this was one of the limited units?

Yes, LE unit that allows spikes...i believe I mentioned "DIY public land " in other thread...not general/OTC...