Eastern Oregon 2017 OTC archery Elk report/feedback

Rogue541

WKR
I finally have the time to reach out to fellow hunters about the 2017 season. Based on scouting and our season last year we thought our unit would be solid this year. My week of hunting Sept 16-22 and We spent the entire week in the back country and covered about 50 miles, pressure was low when we were there but not sure what the first week was like. Weather had fluctuated from temps around 75 to snow storms and hail at temps as low as 35. For whatever reason the bulls were not in there like we had though and had seen. We had 2 encounters within a 100 yds of two good bulls and they were mildly talkative but they seemed to want to get away from any bugles immediately and were not too curios or aggressive about cow sounds either. By week 2 last year there had been 8 bulls killed that I know of and by the end of week 3 this year I had heard of 1. The bulls were with a couple cows a piece. I want to put my finger on what made this year so tough but can't come up with a good logic as for the low elk numbers. Did anyone else have a tough year in Eastern Oregon this year? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ

WKR
In my area the elk were there, but would not talk at all. This may be an excuse, but since the wolves have moved into this area the elk have totally changed their behavior.

This is not an area where you can glass and find them. So if they're not talking it's tough.

So, that's my excuse.

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
We had a hard time also, but we were told by multiple sources that there were 1000's of campers in the area during the eclipse. The FS roads in teh area reminded the locals of traveling I5 during rush hour. We did bump into one small herd and they seemed to be headed in the opposite direction of what we are used to. Tough year all around.

TripleJ

WKR
It was a tough season in the unit I was hunting, with very little day time activity for most of the season.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
I was curious if the eclipse traffic would have sent a bad vibe through the elk woods. Makes sense. It crossed my mind that the winter could have pushed cows lower in elevation and the bulls may have ended up there. The elk gods will hopefully send good things next year in my neck of the woods! Only with hard work of course.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
i noticed a few things this year vs last year in the unit I hunt in eastern oregon. 1st there was quite a bit more water this year than last year down lower, this seemed to allow the elk to be spread out more instead of being up high close to water sources. 2nd in the areas that were full of elk last year were also FULL of hunters this year. It seems to be a lot more people are enjoying backpacking in to road closure areas thus causing more hunting pressure. I saw more people 4+ miles from the trailhead than ever before. I packed my camp out back to the truck and moved to traditional "dryer" areas that are hot spots for elk late rifle season. well thats were I found the majority of the bulls this year and they were very vocal.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted 12 days and saw lots of elk but not really any great shot opportunities. I hunted the whole last week of the season. The elk were not talking much at all. My best encounter was at about 40 yards with probably a 320ish bull. Was at full draw but due to timber, etc never had a good shot. Even being that close when he was talking to his cows it was barely audible. From the years i have hunted in my unit in eastern oregon the bulls have always been call shy. Bugling tends to make them go the other way. But the cow talking was much less this year as well. I didn't know if it was weather/campers, etc. Due to the terrain/timber, hunting call shy elk is definitely a challenge. Know of quite a few guys who filled their tags. Almost exclusively guys that were stand hunting. Was a fun year but tag soup never tastes good. Already looking forward to next year.