Tips for justifying spending on gear

I'm leaving for my first backcountry elk hunt in 10 days. At this point I'm well over a grand in gear spending, not including my tag. I really don't want to add it up. I thought it would be fun to post a few ways I've learned to justify my expenses. Others feel free to chime in your experience. :)
1. This will save me X amount of weight. (down pants, water filter, etc etc)
2. I can use this for years to come. (SO LBO BTB)
3. This will be necessary if my kids or wife ever come with me. (Lite Outdoors stove)
4. Comparison... I'm not spending as much as that guy.
5. Everyone else is doing it.
6. I work hard for a living and I only live once. (the whole trip itself)
7. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. (Back up boots)
8. This will be safer. (Inreach)
9. I have to have this if I kill an elk. (SO Brooks pack, meat bags, saw, etc and etc and etc)
10. I can always resell it later. (all of the above)
Unfortunately this is only a minor sampling of the gear I have purchased. Thank you to all the Rokslide fellas who have helped me through this process.

Mine's a lot more simple. If I will use it and, it justifies replacing what I was using, I buy it. I do look for better deals on clothing though. Meaning, I buy non camo'ed stuff often at 1/10th of the price as a hunting jacket, composed of the same material. Other than that, I buy gear based on what I need. It hurts sometimes too. Good luck and God Bless

twall13

WKR
I don't have a hard time justifying it to myself. I wouldn't buy it if I didn't feel it might improve my comfort or hunting experience, etc. I have a much harder time justifying things to my wife...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Stid2677

WKR
If it make my time outside more enjoyable, I will spend more time outside.... Say my 2000.00 tent for example.. One night 2K, 2 nights 1K a night,,,, so I have used it so much now, the cost is 10 bucks a night. Worth every dime....

muddydogs

WKR
If I want it I purchase it, my justification is I could have already bought a few beef cow herds with the money spent on hunting so whats a little more.

oldgoat

WKR
I got my wife into elk hunting, I have no problems buying gear! If she balks at something, especially an item that will lighten us up, I tell her I can carry more of her stuff that way!

standard_lengthy

Lil-Rokslider
Just think, deer hunting land in Buffalo county Wisconsin is $5000 an acre. Elk Hunting is cheap by comparison.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1. It is cheaper to buy a tag, fuel, and food for myself to hunt elk OTC in Colorado than it is for me to purchase a spot on a deer lease in Texas where I can kill anything bigger than a spike buck.

2. A good backpack will save my back, which means more healthy years with my family

3. Good boots keep my feet solid, which means I won't lose any time workin out when I get back home. Good (often expensive) boots will keep me fit.

4. The opportunity to take a week or longer vacation to hike the mountains chasing elk is something not everyone ceases. I don't want to be one of those people that looks back at their life and says "I wish I had tried that".

CO2130

WKR
Keep in mind that the less you spend on gear the less you'll like it. People are cheap and buy, say a cheap sleeping bag. They freeze every night and decide they hate it. If they would've bought a nice bag they would've been comfortable and they would probably be more likely to continue doing it. As for the $1,000 price that's nothing. I live and guide in western Colorado and I've got probably $7,500 just in optics. If you love it it's worth it, but you're more likely to love it if you realize it's worth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My justification for high end gear is similar to Gerard above, I don't want to look back and wish I'd tried something that was at my fingertips. That's what got me into backpack hunting to begin with. My success rate may not have increased much, but the quality of the animals I hang my tag on has. Quality gear has made this possible. I simply cannot hunt big muleys or mountain goats or sheep in cheap boots or with an uncomfortable pack. I wear down too quickly, and soon realize I'm not fighting the mountain any more, I'm fighting my own idiocracy. To not outfit ones self to the best of your ability is ludicrous and almost always guarantees mediocre to perhaps disastrous results. Being a "Brand X" fanboy is not what I'm speaking of, being extremely prepared is. Only about 50-60 percent of my gear is actually from hunting - based manufacturers. The rest is from outdoor manufacturers that have built a reputation from decades of the hardest possible use in the worst environments that this beautiful planet has to offer. Take your time and make good purchases. Leave the brand fanboy hype out of your decisions, and then trust that you can handle what comes your way, and occasionally harvest an animal as well. After all, only a brief second of the total experience is harvesting, but it's your preparation and intellect that get you there and back.

Just think how prepared you are if you ever have the power go out at home or there is some other natural disaster. Having this gear on hand helps! #dualpurpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My justification is I've spent too many trips uncomfortable, cold, wet, exhausted to the point of losing time in the field. I'm 100% ok with tag soup as long as I don't feel like I lost time due to being ill prepared.

Admittedly I obsess and spend too much on clothes but that aspect made my first few trips miserable.

Pontius

FNG
Me: "My toes got a little cold.."
Wife: "You need new boots!!"
And another $400 disappears. She's a very bad influence.

Gorp2007

WKR
The key is to start small, but keep track of what your spending. Eventually, that spending over time will snowball and pretty soon you can start employing the Drop in the Bucket fallacy: "Well, I've already spent $2K on all of this, what's another 200 bucks?" Or the corrollary self-delusion of "Well, if I'm spending $2000 on my hunt, it would be downright irresponsible not to buy the best boots available to make sure that I give my self every chance at success. Otherwise, I'm just wasting that $2000!"

Trust me, I've gotten so good at it that even my wife is starting to say, "Well, you've already spent so much, it'd be silly to try and cut corners at this point. You should just buy the boots."

OP
Huntingpreacher
The key is to start small, but keep track of what your spending. Eventually, that spending over time will snowball and pretty soon you can start employing the Drop in the Bucket fallacy: "Well, I've already spent $2K on all of this, what's another 200 bucks?" Or the corrollary self-delusion of "Well, if I'm spending $2000 on my hunt, it would be downright irresponsible not to buy the best boots available to make sure that I give my self every chance at success. Otherwise, I'm just wasting that $2000!"

Trust me, I've gotten so good at it that even my wife is starting to say, "Well, you've already spent so much, it'd be silly to try and cut corners at this point. You should just buy the boots."

I think this will be my go-to excuse in the future. Thanks gorp2007. 👍