Colorado Elk Migration

jfive613

FNG
I was looking for some helpful advice on a topic I don't know a whole lot about. As we don't have severe weather in southern New Mexico our elk don't really migrate. However, this year I am venturing out of state to hunt elk for the first rifle season in Colorado. I see that Colorado is having some pretty severe weather up high in Northwest and Northcentral Colorado where we will be hunting. I had planned on backpacking in and hunting high, however, I was wondering if this early snow will already start pushing them out of the high country and towards their wintering grounds. If anyone has any experience with the impact that this early snow will have, I would appreciate any help you have to offer. Thank you in advance.

Depends on the elk, some elk may move and some wont move at all. I was in the snow the other day and the elk didnt seem to care at 10500, I usually see hunting pressure push them more then snow. I have hunted way above treeline with snow above my waste and seen elk up high.. But i have seen a few snowflakes make elk drop.

Gr8bawana

WKR
I've hunted elk in NV in November hiking through knee deep snow and even the cows showed no hint of moving to lower country. It takes quite a bit of snow to get them to move and if they can find ridges where the wind keeps them clear the elk will stay there.

LaGriz

WKR
Jfive613,
I'm hunting second rifle in NM unit 52 on the Colorado/new Mexico border. Unit 81 in Colorado is North of this unit and has OTC unlimited license opportunities. I have never witnessed the migration, but have been told that elk stream across the border as the traffic picks up in the Rio Grand NF. The San Juan heard (units 77,78, 751 also OTC for archery 2nd and 3rd rifle) just to the west of unit 81 is also know to have a large migration near the Southern Ute Rez and Cromo, Colorado continuing into Rio Arriba county NM and the TA Grant between unit 52 and Chama. Have been told of elk "lining out" in large numbers when this happens. My guess is this most likely takes place during the 1st two weeks of October. The game animals are probably wise to the heavy traffic of campers setting up prior to the "orange invasion" and many may move during the last week of September in anticipation. Elk get a lot of hunter pressure even during archery season. The elevations are quite high in these Colorado units with many peaks over 12,000'. I'm sure that in years with heavy snow or cold the timing of any migration might be sooner.

530Chukar

WKR
From where I've hunted further north, I haven't seen them really migrate until the beginning of November at the earliest.

jfive, I'm heading to the same area for 1st rifle. The snow is melting fast. A weather station at 9500 ft in the area is reading 60 degrees already today with wind. Looks like pretty mild weather over the next week.

elkduds

WKR
Our precip in CO is still coming up from the south, which is monsoon pattern. Rare for monsoon to stay this late in the fall. Odds of mild weather for 1st rifle are very good, just like every year. Best to be prepared for everything from sunny and dry to deep snow, though. It is only a 5 day season.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Our precip in CO is still coming up from the south, which is monsoon pattern. Rare for monsoon to stay this late in the fall. Odds of mild weather for 1st rifle are very good, just like every year. Best to be prepared for everything from sunny and dry to deep snow, though. It is only a 5 day season.

Reports are a ways out still but seems like its going to be 20f cooler this year if the reports hold. At least the precip seems like its tapering off. But mountains are what they are... ;)