First elk

7Bartman

WKR
First elk: *updated with age*

I'll let the video tell my story, but where I could use the help is with the score estimates. Reason being, I'm debating splitting the skull to get it back to MD from Idaho as cheap as possible. It is right on the cusp of P&Y hence I'm not sure what to do.
I have him scored as follows (I have the exact measurements on the main beams (45.5" & 47") and inside spread (40"). Based on using the smallest point on each side, here's where I'm at with scoring
fronts = 11" X 4 = 44", thirds 1"X 2 = 2", Fourths 12"X 2 = 24", fifths 4"X 2 = 8"
Spread + Length = 40"+45"+45"
Mass(?) 50"
total = ~ 260"

3FkRqiM.jpg

0z6qWzM.jpg

7fm7Wm4.jpg

Idaho Archery Elk Hunt 2017: Redemption - YouTube

*updated* with age. I was guessing 3.5. I was slightly off.
tJuYCWg.png

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
If you go to the Boone and Crockett webpage they have a score calculator on there. You just put in the measurements and it calculates it for you.

Gr8bawana

WKR
First of all congrts on your first elk that is a dandy!
As far as Pope & Young scoring the fact that it is just at the cusp without deductions makes it highly doubtful that it will make it. In my mind a trophy has nothing to do with score. Go ahead and split the skull and if you decide to have it mounted any competent taxi can put it back together for a trophy you can be proud of.

OP
7Bartman

7Bartman

WKR
Thanks for the compliments. I realize how fortunate I am. Missing those bulls last year really ate at me so it's nice to get the monkey off my back. I'm not really big on the P&Y aspect, but since I've come this far, I figured why not. To me the story of the hunt is what I'll always remember.
BTW, for the score estimates I was using a very conservative approach utilizing the shortest tine length estimate off each antler.

ElkNut1

WKR
Way to go bud! Congrats on your success! If it's in your heart & bank account to have it mounted then go for it! Don't be too worried about what we might think! Go with your gut! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

OP
7Bartman

7Bartman

WKR
Wow, just got the ageing back from my elk. I was guessing he was 3.5-4.5. Needless to say I was surprised and even more excited.
tJuYCWg.png

Congrats on a beautiful trophy and an amazing first elk. Score doesn't matter. You get to feed your family that is a blessing in itself. Cant take the antlers to heaven my friend.