My 2018 gear list

A little bottle of unscented hand sanitizer is useful for cleaning, a little under the arms to keep B.O. in check, and emergency fire accelerant.

xziang

WKR
I don't take/use sunscreen and I'm a ginger. I just make sure I have a hat on and usually use a 'boonie' hat instead of a ball cap hat. I will occasionally get burned on my neck at times.

I thought about a multi tool but don't I just keep a knife clipped to my pocket. This year I didn't use my black diamond walking sticks which was a first. I still LOVE walking sticks but found it easier to carry the bow instead of having 7lbs on my back. I always found a walking stick to use and then would loose it and then have to find another one lol.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
The pro to boning is slightly less weight, the con is a small loss of meat due to an increase of service area exposed that causes more second skining to be needed. A good compromise is to bone the fronts and leave the rears bone in. You can figure around 8lbs per leg that you would save by boning. Regardless I would recommend TAG bags as they offer both boned out and quarter size game bags.

Definately something to figure out. Good food for thought!

Don't forget bow stuff, like a small game head or two (I love the Montec SGH and don't lose them like judos), extra arrows and broadheads and nocks, and I usually bring a chap stick sized stick of string wax.

Tooth brush and tooth paste.

Maybe a thin pair of leather palmed gloves for warmth and pulling ropes, brush busting, etc...

Bow items, check. I was actually planning to bring my FL Shale Hybrid gloves also. I'll add them to the list. Thx.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
If you haven't already, just take the weekend and go camping in the woods near you with this set up. See what you really need and didn't. See what would've been nice to have- like a tent light that runs on bttys VS butane (one less thing to break)

No real reason for the hand gun in Col
I use a havalon and stick, not cut, myself at least once- so band aids and wipes are in my kill kit, as is a trash bag to put meat in then in tag bag,then in pack.

I quit bringing matches and just have 2 lighters. One in emerg kit, which is always in my pack , the other in my camp kit.
I have a 4-6 man tipi and the primus type butane lanterns wont heat it in 30-40* weather- you can warm your hands though.

I use Tyvek for ground cloth under my pad.
Camp shoes are a must for me

I have to have a Nalgene bottle on me and bladder in camp

Yes on multi tool

I thought about a chair but by the time I was done packing, including my tent, titanium stove, my 7000 ci bag was packed, for a 5 dayer. Food takes up a lot of space.
Not sure how long you are hunting but the pack can fit all this, incl food ?

Great tip on camping locally and have been looking for a good place once my schedule calms down some.
I've read many times about guns not being needed, and I'd rather not bring along but not having been in the mountains in a while has me leaning that direction. I'll keep trying to talk myself out of it.
Like the idea of two lighters instead of matches. Will make that change but still plan to take the fire steel on this trip.
What are your thoughts on the Primus heating a Mountainsmith LT?

I forgot on a 5 day or longer I take a back packer type towel, and a small 2 oz bottle of body wash,shampoo- non scented.
Tooth brush and tooth paste

This year I carried a small LED lamp (3"x3") I picked up from harbor freight for $3, to light up my kill scene and aid my head lamp in the field dressing part at night. I normally carry pullies to help hoist the rear qtrs. of an elk, but forgot them, and was kicking myself. I got them hung, just was a lot harder, after already being tired.

I also had charge cord for (2) for my gear- everything is rechargeable other than the LED over head lamp.

I have 2 - 120 qt coolers in my vehicle one full of ice, the other ready.

Good reminders on the hygeine items. Still need some bigger coolers.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Definitely get some rain pants with full leg zips if you find a good deal. Marmot precip would fit the need and reasonably priced, look before buying as they also make a version that doesn’t zip off.

If you go with the cirrus + vest one can be your pillow while the other extra warmth sleeping.

Definitely the helinox. I’ve just been using a pad but it gets uncomfortable fast.

Duct tape. Wrapped around your lighter and trekking poles. It’s somewhat reflective which has saved me from losing those items.

I personally don’t use sunscreen for hunting I use light merino neck gaiter and or boonie hat always were a long sleeve shirt. Besides I question the smell of it. I would add sunglasses though.

Glock 29sf. I think I want one. Had no idea they made a sub compact 10mm.

Alcohol wipes. Can be used for fire. Obviously for first aid. I’ve found tenacious tape works even better if the item is cleaned with it first.

Something to clean your lenses?

Either a pack rain cover or dry bag for things you don’t want wet.

All good points, thanks. Just ordered the FL Stormtight pants so that is covered.
I like the idea of using the Cirrus for a pillow and the vest for sleeping. Think i'll go with that. Bit of a weight hit but not too bad.
The chair is really comfy and hope it can make the trip. Getting older sucks.
Forgot I have a OR boonie hat. Going to swap that for the cap. Sunglasses go with me everywhere....adding to list.
Thought about a G20 but too much weight I think. Wicked little pistol.
I do have a pack cover but what are your thoughts about using a contractor bag instead?

twall13

WKR
I do have a pack cover but what are your thoughts about using a contractor bag instead?

I prefer the contractor bag inside the pack personally. I've never had anything get wet that way and it still allows quick access to things in pockets, etc. that don't need rain protection.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Couple ideas: instead of the chair, I bring a small section of thermarest (like a Z-Rest, cut down to about 36"). Thats my glassing pad and my around camp sitting/laying down pad.

You have an awesome gear list. Load up your pack like a dry run for hunt day1 and then start trimming. Most (myself included) are guilty of packing too many clothes. Good Luck!

I do have a thermarest butt pad on the list but wondering whether cutting down a full sized mat would be more comfortable. Good idea.
Thanks for the compliment, and i do plan to take all this out for a test run soon.
Regarding clothing...not sure if there's anything left to cut.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
A warm breakfast can go a long way toward boosting morale and get you going in the morning and if you make oatmeal or granola in the packet or freezer bag there is no clean up. I dont carry a spotter but there is absolutely no way I would leave my binos at home and rely on just my 6x rangefinder. Gaiters can be a good option if you dont take ran pants, it sucks to have wet pants first thing in the AM from walking thru dewy grass. Again, your list is a good list, take what you think you need and then adjust it after a trip based on what you used and what you didnt.

Thoughts on taking a tripod along with my 8x32's? My thinking was the ability to glass if I need to take a break or get better look at something, but my tripod and head come in at 2lbs 14ozs and could be an easy way to kill almost 3 pounds...

Agree with you on wet pants and hot breakfast!

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I don't take/use sunscreen and I'm a ginger. I just make sure I have a hat on and usually use a 'boonie' hat instead of a ball cap hat. I will occasionally get burned on my neck at times.

I thought about a multi tool but don't I just keep a knife clipped to my pocket. This year I didn't use my black diamond walking sticks which was a first. I still LOVE walking sticks but found it easier to carry the bow instead of having 7lbs on my back. I always found a walking stick to use and then would loose it and then have to find another one lol.

Swapped ball cap for a boonie, great idea.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
All good points, thanks. Just ordered the FL Stormtight pants so that is covered.
I like the idea of using the Cirrus for a pillow and the vest for sleeping. Think i'll go with that. Bit of a weight hit but not too bad.
The chair is really comfy and hope it can make the trip. Getting older sucks.
Forgot I have a OR boonie hat. Going to swap that for the cap. Sunglasses go with me everywhere....adding to list.
Thought about a G20 but too much weight I think. Wicked little pistol.

Not to bad of a weight hit, a stand alone pillow is 2-6oz. I like the versatility of a light puffy plus puffy vest. Plus the two fit better under a shell since your arms aren’t so bulky. We all have different tolerances to cold but at times I’ll run the puffy plus vest and skip the mid layer.

If you’re debating on bringing the glock I say why not if it carries comfortably.

Contractor bag to line your pack works fine. Find some hair ties to close off the contractor bag instead of using it’s drawstrings. Easy access that way.

If you are early hunt, a good 20 degree bag is sufficient
If its mid season then maybe seek out a tent heater of some type.
The micro lanterns are "ok" as they serve you 2 purposes there- light/heat

I am not a fan of them after having them plug up on a hunt.
I want "No Problems" when I am hunting cause I am usually tired and pre-occupied with other stuff.
- water, wood etc

I use all battery type lighting now that recharges off the same cord.

My tent is a floorless, so I bring stove for the later hunts.

Those little lanterns are nothing more than hand warmer in my 4-6 man redcliffe, not sure on your size tent?
Might be sufficient, but then requires another butane can or two, depending on duration of your hunt and type of meals you eat (hot or cold).

It was so wet on my last hunt I went thru 3 squares of my trioxane- never thought that would've happened. I ended up burning some of my TP on the last morning to get warm fire going.
I know- very risky idea for sure :)

your list is a great start way better than most of us started with likely. You will be fine, just give it a test run.
This is a fact- you will always be adjusting it, so don't worry about perfecting it. Something , usually minor, is always being added or removed.
It's fun isn't it !!!

I was suppose to do Idaho archery, but had to cancel the week before. For that hunt I did have a pistol on my pack belt, as well as spray. This is a more bear prone area than Colorado. Heck I even designed a bear fence out of 50 lb fishing line a cow bells.

Some would consider that a waste and that only spray was needed. I, like you, felt more comfortable with a hand gun. But for me at 60 + lbs already it had to be light and have enough power to be validated. Not sure what the Glock weighs, but usually a lot.

I purchased this light weight 14 round EAA in 10 mm, with double tap heavy loads:

EAA Witness 10mm Auto Pistol

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
I was suppose to do Idaho archery, but had to cancel the week before. For that hunt I did have a pistol on my pack belt, as well as spray. This is a more bear prone area than Colorado. Heck I even designed a bear fence out of 50 lb fishing line a cow bells.

Some would consider that a waste and that only spray was needed. I, like you, felt more comfortable with a hand gun. But for me at 60 + lbs already it had to be light and have enough power to be validated. Not sure what the Glock weighs, but usually a lot.

I purchased this light weight 14 round EAA in 10 mm, with double tap heavy loads:

EAA Witness 10mm Auto Pistol

Man, using TP for kindling is some risky business!!!

That's a dang good looking rig you got there. I think you forgot the " " around lightweight though :) The glock loaded weighs around 32oz, which isn't too much less than yours, although you get the style points!

Zach1shot

FNG
So I have finally decided to post my list for some advice. I've been picking things up for the last 2.5 years. Planned to go last year, but knee problems kept me sidelined and this year had other obligations. Don't plan to let anything stop me next year.

Many of the things I picked up were based off of suggestions here, followed by a lot of additional research on my own, so anything that looks funny is probably somebody's fault from here! :rolleyes: Anything in GREEN has not been bought yet, so feel free to make suggestions. Also feel free to critique the rest too. Goal is to only buy this once and use for quite a while. I plan to either bivy hunt 1-2 miles in or spike out from that same distance.

SW CO archery elk 2018

Clothing (Including worn):

Bottom:
Merino boxers x 2
Allegheny or Glenbrook’s
Kanab 2.0
Merino compression socks x 2
Brambler Gaiters
Arcteryx Knee Pads

Top:
Llano ¼ zip
Chama ¼ zip
Uncompahgre, or Cirrus + Uncompahgre Vest
Merino beanie, neck gaiter, lightweight glove, Shale hybrid gloves and boonie hat

Rain Gear:
Boundary Stormtight Top
Boundary Stormtight Pants

Boots:
Zamberlan Sella or Scarpa Grand DRU GTX

Bow:
Mathews Creed
Axcel Armortech
QAD drop away rest
True Fire release
Easton arrows (work in progress)
X-tra release (in truck)

Trekking poles:
Leki Micro Vario Carbon

Pack & Bino Harness:
Exo 3500
AGC Kodiak CUB Max
Kifaru pullouts for organization

Water filtration and storage:
MSR Guardian and aquatabs
MSR 6-liter bladder
(3) 1-liter Platypus SoftBottles

Cooking:
MSR Windburner
Long titanium spoon
Titanium cup

Fire-starting kit:
Bic lighter X 2 and fire steel
Trioxane tablets

Lighting:
Zebralight + extra battery
Petzl elite for backup
Primus micron for Light & Heat (maybe)

Sleep System:
NeoAir xtherm pad
Mountain Shelter LT (may leave in truck & just take tarp)
UL Tarp
Bivy
EE 20* Revelation
Helinox Chair Zero (maybe)

Optics:
Sig Kilo 2000
Swarovski 8x32 EL
Slik 634 CF w/Outdoorsmans Micro head (maybe)
Outdoorsmans digiscoping adapter for phone (maybe)

Food: (not completely sorted out yet)
Supper will be Mountain House
Breakfast will be oatmeal
Lunch and snacks will be protein/candy bars and such (suggestions?)
Starbucks VIA packs

Kill Kit:
Havalon + extra blades
Benchmade folder (old habits)
Game bags (TAG)
550 cord
Flagging tape/tacks

Possibles:
Emergency blanket
Tenacious & Leukotape
Notepad and pencil
Chapstick
Thermarest butt pad
Wind checker
TP/Wipes
Multi tool
Other ideas?

First Aid Kit:
Random meds
Super glue
Quick clot x 1

Calls:
Rocky Mountain tube & diaphragms

Navigation & Communication:
Compass
Delorme Inreach
GPS
Maps
Power Pack

Glock 29SF

Please let me know if I’ve missed anything.

Thanks for any and all help! :cool:

I think that is a solid setup. I used to have a Matthews myself but changed to Hoty but the creed is still an amazing bow. Maybe you should look into a sunnto Traverse Alpha Watch it has all of these features I have one myself and I wear it everyday

Hiking, Fishing and Hunting modes
Sunrise-sunset times and alerts
Fishing and hunting specific POI types
Moon phases and moon rise/set times
Automatic Shot detection
Red backlight, Night Vision Goggle compatible
GPS and GLONASS for route and POI navigation
Real-time breadcrumb view of the recorded track
Tracking for speed, distance and altitude
Discover new routes with heatmaps on Suunto Movescount and Suunto Movescount App
Route planning in Suunto Movescount with topographic maps
Route preview and route altitude profile on the watch
100 m/330 ft water resistance
Altitude (FusedAlti™)
Weather trend and storm alarm
Compass
Backlight in flashlight mode
Vibration alarm
GPS time update
Daily, weekly, monthly and yearly activity tracking of steps and calories
Mobile notifications
Compatible with Suunto Movescount App (iOS and Android)

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Wanted to bump this up in case anyone has suggestions. Also, does anyone take a tripod if you're only taking 8x32's?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Wanted to bump this up in case anyone has suggestions. Also, does anyone take a tripod if you're only taking 8x32's?

If you're hunting wide open country having a tripod is nice, really, really helps with glassing. If you're in the woods more than not, just use a trekking pole for the random times you're glossing open country and leave the tripod at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Thanks for the advice. I'll figure out where I'll be hunting, then determine if it comes along.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Was able to recently pick up a couple items that got me a little closer to a complete setup. Found a new shelter here on the classifieds and Felix40 made me some sweet game bags.

Thinking I will wait till summer 2018 to get any electronics just in case they roll out new units.

Last edited:
With 8x binos, sit back with knees raised. Elbows on or in knees, and index fingers looped over the bill of your ballcap.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
With 8x binos, sit back with knees raised. Elbows on or in knees, and index fingers looped over the bill of your ballcap.

Sorry I missed your post. I've pretty much decided to leave the tripod in the truck and make do without. Thanks for the feedback!