My 2018 gear list

nrh6.7

WKR
So I have finally decided to post my list for some advice. I've been picking things up for the last 2.5 years. Planned to go last year, but knee problems kept me sidelined and this year had other obligations. Don't plan to let anything stop me next year.

Many of the things I picked up were based off of suggestions here, followed by a lot of additional research on my own, so anything that looks funny is probably somebody's fault from here! :rolleyes: Anything in GREEN has not been bought yet, so feel free to make suggestions. Also feel free to critique the rest too. Goal is to only buy this once and use for quite a while. I plan to either bivy hunt 1-2 miles in or spike out from that same distance.

Wyoming elk 2018

Clothing (Including worn):

Bottom:
Merino boxers x 2
Allegheny or Glenbrook’s
Kanab 2.0
Merino compression socks x 2
Brambler Gaiters
Arcteryx Knee Pads

Top:
Llano ¼ zip
Chama ¼ zip
Uncompahgre, or Cirrus + Uncompahgre Vest
Merino beanie, neck gaiter, lightweight glove, Shale hybrid gloves
Boonie hat & Sunglasses

Rain Gear:
Boundary Stormtight Top
Boundary Stormtight Pants

Boots:
Zamberlan 960 guides

Bow:
Mathews Creed
Axcel Armortech
QAD drop away rest
True Fire release
Gold Tip Velocity Pro
Extra release (in truck)
Bow repair kit

Trekking poles:
Leki Micro Vario Carbon

Pack & Bino Harness:
Exo 3500
AGC Kodiak CUB Max
Kifaru pullouts for organization

Water filtration and storage:
MSR Guardian and aquatabs
MSR 6-liter (base camp)
Platypus 2-ltr
(3) 1-liter Platypus SoftBottles

Cooking:
MSR Windburner
Long titanium spoon
Titanium cup

Fire-starting kit:
Bic lighter X 2 and fire steel
Trioxane tablets

Lighting:
Zebralight + extra battery
Petzl elite for backup
Primus micron for Light & Heat (maybe)

Sleep System:
EXPED pad
Redcliff UL
sxl stove (if needed)
Borah Event Bivy
Valandre bag
My Pillow travel
Helinox Chair Zero (maybe)

Optics:
Sig Kilo 2000
Swarovski 8x32 EL
Slik 634 CF w/Outdoorsmans Micro head (in truck)

Food:
Supper will be Mountain House
Breakfast will be oatmeal
Lunch and snacks will be protein/candy bars and such
Starbucks VIA packs

Kill Kit:
Havalon + extra blades
Mora knife
Game bags
Dyneema cord
Flagging tape/tacks
Lightweight pulley system

Possibles:
Emergency blanket
Tenacious & Leukotape
Notepad and pencil
Chapstick
Thermarest butt pad
Wind checker
TP/Wipes
Hand sanitizer
Other ideas

First Aid Kit:
Various meds
Super glue
Quick clot x 1
CAT tourniquet

Calls:
Rocky Mountain tube & diaphragms

Navigation & Communication:
Gaia GPS on Phone
Compass
Garmin Inreach Explorer
Dark Energy pack

Glock 20
Kenai chest holster

Please let me know if I’ve missed anything.

Thanks for any and all help! :cool:

Last edited:

bmart2622

WKR
Looks pretty good to me, fairly similar to what I carry. Rain pants can be a game time decision based on the forecast and where you are headed. I dont carry a compass but thats mostly because I cant use one very good. Depending on the weight of tarp I might just roll with thr Mountain Smith, unless its really light and can be used for glassing, sitting out a storm, gear storage, etc. But all in all its a pretty solid list.

Bl704

WKR
There maybe a few things that can be tweaked or dropped...others may mostly address.

On the socks, if they're not wool (merino), 2 pair may be ripe by the end of the week. I went with 3 pr wool socks instead. If you go with 2, bring a bit of soap to launder them.

But for the food for me, a bit of variety is nice. Some carbs when I'm in the mtns seem to help me tremendously. I've found larabars are a fine multi-purpose tool: throw half in the morning oatmeal the other half a good snack. For breakfast variety bagels & pb work for any commute (drive in a truck, morning hike up the mtn or roll and go from the tent). Granola + coconut cream powder (add some water) is another light weight breakfast alternative.

Snacks:
•A variety of protein bars (figure out which you like before the season).
•Nuts (protein & fat)
•Apples (portable and the tartness are good, the fiber a welcome benefit for the MH).
•Dehydrated fruits
•Meat in stick/dried forms (jerky, summer sausages, pepperoni, salami)

And, if you're camping with someone else:
• earplugs and Tylenol pm/benedryl
• they may appreciate you also bringing some unscented deodorant ;)

Cheers

bmart2622

WKR
I did 13 days on an AK float trip and only used 2 pairs of merino socks the whole time. Maybe add some camp shoes so you can get out of your boots at night.
For snacks I take bars, trail mix, jerky, Pb and honey tortillas for lunch, Pay Day or Salted Nut rolls are great since they dont melt. I like the Mtn House granola fo breakfast and a guy can add in some protein powder as well to bump calories. I also like to take some form of drink powder with electrolytes to add to water, sometimes its nice to change it up from just straight water.

Rdog

FNG
For game bags, if you want to bone the animal out completely as in no quarters, the B.O.M.B synthetic bags are hard to beat. They are a really small package, I can't personally attest to their quality as I haven't had to use them yet unfortunately but they get good reviews from guys more fortunate than I. If you want to quarter it out, caribou game bags makes a great kit of synthetic bags that are pretty small as well.

twall13

WKR
That's some quality gear for what I assume is your first out west. You've definitly fine since research. I have a few differences in my gear list but alot comes down to personal preference.

Definitely check out Off Grid Food Co. for a better breakfast option than standard oatmeal. They are new this year but the two I've tried have been way better than the standard oatmeal in both flavor and calories. They cost a bit more but are worth it, imo.

As mentioned above, rain pants can be a game time decision based on the weather forecast. I really like the full side zips on my first lite rain pants so I don't have to mess with taking boots off etc. That said, I rarely end up needing to wear them. Good, fast drying pants and gaiters have you covered for most conditions. Especially if you have a small tarp and use it during a downpour. If you plan on hiking around during the rain the pants come in handy. I also like rain pants for a wind blocker on my legs if I'm glassing for a long time and don't have puffy pants.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Thanks for your input. Still need the tarp but I've been thinking about a Jimmy's Granite Mountain, which comes in around 11oz. So for around $185 I could shave off almost 1.5lbs! I'd still have great shelter and the ability to just use the bivy if the weather looks good.

Looks pretty good to me, fairly similar to what I carry. Rain pants can be a game time decision based on the forecast and where you are headed. I dont carry a compass but thats mostly because I cant use one very good. Depending on the weight of tarp I might just roll with thr Mountain Smith, unless its really light and can be used for glassing, sitting out a storm, gear storage, etc. But all in all its a pretty solid list.

The socks are merino (fixed post) and I've really tried to let others' experiences influence my decisions, especially on clothing.
Thanks for the tips on food choices, good stuff. I'm gonna talk to Santa about getting a dehydrator for Christmas this year.
Regarding ear plugs, I'll take them to block out any night noises for me, but I'm going solo.

There maybe a few things that can be tweaked or dropped...others may mostly address.

On the socks, if they're not wool (merino), 2 pair may be ripe by the end of the week. I went with 3 pr wool socks instead. If you go with 2, bring a bit of soap to launder them.

But for the food for me, a bit of variety is nice. Some carbs when I'm in the mtns seem to help me tremendously. I've found larabars are a fine multi-purpose tool: throw half in the morning oatmeal the other half a good snack. For breakfast variety bagels & pb work for any commute (drive in a truck, morning hike up the mtn or roll and go from the tent). Granola + coconut cream powder (add some water) is another light weight breakfast alternative.

Snacks:
•A variety of protein bars (figure out which you like before the season).
•Nuts (protein & fat)
•Apples (portable and the tartness are good, the fiber a welcome benefit for the MH).
•Dehydrated fruits
•Meat in stick/dried forms (jerky, summer sausages, pepperoni, salami)

And, if you're camping with someone else:
• earplugs and Tylenol pm/benedryl
• they may appreciate you also bringing some unscented deodorant ;)

Cheers

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
This is something I'm still trying to figure out. I really need to do some more reading on whether boning is what I should do. How much weight do you really save by doing this? Also, what are the downsides to boning? I've heard it can slow down the cooling process and processors don't care for it. Will most likely go with TAG bags when I decide.

For game bags, if you want to bone the animal out completely as in no quarters, the B.O.M.B synthetic bags are hard to beat. They are a really small package, I can't personally attest to their quality as I haven't had to use them yet unfortunately but they get good reviews from guys more fortunate than I. If you want to quarter it out, caribou game bags makes a great kit of synthetic bags that are pretty small as well.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Technically this is my second trip out west, but the first was circa 1996 after I got out of the service. Went out with 3 friends and we had no clue what we were doing. No GPS, maps or elk knowledge. This will be a totally different experience and I wanted some of those guys to go with me but they all wanted a drop camp. Hopefully I'll get to invite them over for elk fajitas to make them jealous.

I'll check out Off Grid Food, thanks for the tip. I also think I should get some rain pants to at least keep in the truck, but may pack them for the just-in-case.

That's some quality gear for what I assume is your first out west. You've definitly fine since research. I have a few differences in my gear list but alot comes down to personal preference.

Definitely check out Off Grid Food Co. for a better breakfast option than standard oatmeal. They are new this year but the two I've tried have been way better than the standard oatmeal in both flavor and calories. They cost a bit more but are worth it, imo.

As mentioned above, rain pants can be a game time decision based on the weather forecast. I really like the full side zips on my first lite rain pants so I don't have to mess with taking boots off etc. That said, I rarely end up needing to wear them. Good, fast drying pants and gaiters have you covered for most conditions. Especially if you have a small tarp and use it during a downpour. If you plan on hiking around during the rain the pants come in handy. I also like rain pants for a wind blocker on my legs if I'm glassing for a long time and don't have puffy pants.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
This is something I'm still trying to figure out. I really need to do some more reading on whether boning is what I should do. How much weight do you really save by doing this? Also, what are the downsides to boning? I've heard it can slow down the cooling process and processors don't care for it. Will most likely go with TAG bags when I decide.
On the bags, bomb bags are the way to go (imho). On Matt's rocky mtn elk (http://www.rokslide.com/forums/elk/78179-rocky-mountain.html) we filled the 6 bags + 2 more game bags. Every lb adds up, and somehow, they seem to multiply with distance...

bmart2622

WKR
The pro to boning is slightly less weight, the con is a small loss of meat due to an increase of service area exposed that causes more second skining to be needed. A good compromise is to bone the fronts and leave the rears bone in. You can figure around 8lbs per leg that you would save by boning. Regardless I would recommend TAG bags as they offer both boned out and quarter size game bags.

Don't forget bow stuff, like a small game head or two (I love the Montec SGH and don't lose them like judos), extra arrows and broadheads and nocks, and I usually bring a chap stick sized stick of string wax.

Tooth brush and tooth paste.

Maybe a thin pair of leather palmed gloves for warmth and pulling ropes, brush busting, etc...

If you haven't already, just take the weekend and go camping in the woods near you with this set up. See what you really need and didn't. See what would've been nice to have- like a tent light that runs on bttys VS butane (one less thing to break)

No real reason for the hand gun in Col
I use a havalon and stick, not cut, myself at least once- so band aids and wipes are in my kill kit, as is a trash bag to put meat in then in tag bag,then in pack.

I quit bringing matches and just have 2 lighters. One in emerg kit, which is always in my pack , the other in my camp kit.
I have a 4-6 man tipi and the primus type butane lanterns wont heat it in 30-40* weather- you can warm your hands though.

I use Tyvek for ground cloth under my pad.
Camp shoes are a must for me

I have to have a Nalgene bottle on me and bladder in camp

Yes on multi tool

I thought about a chair but by the time I was done packing, including my tent, titanium stove, my 7000 ci bag was packed, for a 5 dayer. Food takes up a lot of space.
Not sure how long you are hunting but the pack can fit all this, incl food ?

I forgot on a 5 day or longer I take a back packer type towel, and a small 2 oz bottle of body wash,shampoo- non scented.
Tooth brush and tooth paste

This year I carried a small LED lamp (3"x3") I picked up from harbor freight for $3, to light up my kill scene and aid my head lamp in the field dressing part at night. I normally carry pullies to help hoist the rear qtrs. of an elk, but forgot them, and was kicking myself. I got them hung, just was a lot harder, after already being tired.

I also had charge cord for (2) for my gear- everything is rechargeable other than the LED over head lamp.

I have 2 - 120 qt coolers in my vehicle one full of ice, the other ready.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely get some rain pants with full leg zips if you find a good deal. Marmot precip would fit the need and reasonably priced, look before buying as they also make a version that doesn’t zip off.

If you go with the cirrus + vest one can be your pillow while the other extra warmth sleeping.

Definitely the helinox. I’ve just been using a pad but it gets uncomfortable fast.

Duct tape. Wrapped around your lighter and trekking poles. It’s somewhat reflective which has saved me from losing those items.

I personally don’t use sunscreen for hunting I use light merino neck gaiter and or boonie hat always were a long sleeve shirt. Besides I question the smell of it. I would add sunglasses though.

Glock 29sf. I think I want one. Had no idea they made a sub compact 10mm.

Alcohol wipes. Can be used for fire. Obviously for first aid. I’ve found tenacious tape works even better if the item is cleaned with it first.

Something to clean your lenses?

Either a pack rain cover or dry bag for things you don’t want wet.

I think that's a KILLER list and actually VERY similar to my own that I started creating. I built an excel spreadsheet, simple nothing complicated, to tally up each item/ weight to get an idea of what I had to have to keep my pack under my desired weight. That way I could tweak it as needed cut/ add as needed and I'd at least be in the ball park when it was fully packed. I was planning on my Glock 20 mounted to my pack belt (behind bear spray) Truth be told I'd LOVE a reason to purchase a S&W 329PD Airweight 44 Mag.... so that may come into play instead.

I'd also like to add that MeatEater Pod cast from Sept 25th (Available to listen for free) is all about what to pack for a back country ELK archery hunt, Janis Putelis talks about everything he's bringing its a VERY good listen I enjoyed it.

Good luck I will keep following this thread with great interest.

Oh and rather than BIVY I was considering the KUIU Ultra Star 1P... $260, 18.9ozs, and pitches with the trekking poles you're already carrying. It's single wall, therefore not great for HOT wether but with the Vestibule zipped open there a lot of screen it looks like. I've looked a lot and it seems like the most livable tent to me and barely over a pound.

ALW

wildcat33

WKR
Couple ideas: instead of the chair, I bring a small section of thermarest (like a Z-Rest, cut down to about 36"). Thats my glassing pad and my around camp sitting/laying down pad.

You have an awesome gear list. Load up your pack like a dry run for hunt day1 and then start trimming. Most (myself included) are guilty of packing too many clothes. Good Luck!

Packing up and getting going in the morning can take some time, the more stuff you bring the longer it will take, plus more weight. So if anything I would drop some gear. Here's some suggestions. Unless your absolutely require a hot breakfast, I'd pass on the oatmeal and eat some fruit/nut bars or similar, no clean up, no waiting around. Also same for coffee, I'll use Mio in the morning to get going and maybe make some coffee later in the day. You want to be as efficient as possible. When you hear a bugle, before dawn in your tent, the last thing you're gonna want to do is cook & clean, it's go time! Consider leaving the binos, tripod, and for sure the spotting scope. This things are fun to use but ultimately not needed for elk. Use your range finder instead. I use mine on a trekking pole all the time to find elk during season in the high country miles away, elk are big. If youre hunting timber which in my opinion is easier to get within bow range and how the majority of people take elk in CO, you'll be locating with calls anyways. No chair, no butt pad, no knee pads, no multi tool, no rain pants/no gaiters(unless you're expecting 6"+ snow, no primus micron. All you will use very little, not worth it. Maybe keep this stuff in truck. Have extra set of dry clothes, boots, sleeping bag/pad, and canned food in truck. You'll thank me when you make a meat load to the truck, and left the rest of your gear on mtn for the night. Use the Mtn shelter LT, don't have to worry about pitching in the wind, no drafts, something about sleeping in a enclosed shelter that makes me sleep better, and can pee in the middle of night without have to crawl out. Bring 2 large contractor bags, uses: dry bags for gear in back pack, can put entire pack in it as well if you get caught in rainstorm, keeps blood off pack and gear when doing meat loads, can sink game bags in creek to keep cold, keeps smell of meat to minimum(bears). Bring salt pills for electrolytes. You're going to drink 3 times as much water as you usually will. I use Rehydrate pills, (Amazon) you can just pop them in your mouth as you go, no waiting around for stuff to dissolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmart2622

WKR
A warm breakfast can go a long way toward boosting morale and get you going in the morning and if you make oatmeal or granola in the packet or freezer bag there is no clean up. I dont carry a spotter but there is absolutely no way I would leave my binos at home and rely on just my 6x rangefinder. Gaiters can be a good option if you dont take ran pants, it sucks to have wet pants first thing in the AM from walking thru dewy grass. Again, your list is a good list, take what you think you need and then adjust it after a trip based on what you used and what you didnt.