BUTTKICKER Idaho elk hunt.......sort of semi live

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
So...........we have kind of survived the first week. I'll post a full write up when it's all finished but so far, it has been EPIC!
we just came out for a day of rest, greasy cheeseburgers and packing out the first load of meat.
Backpacked in 4 miles from the trailhead and we've got 2 bulls down about 1.5 miles from our spike camp. Rokslider elkhunter777, myself, and my brother Jeff all drew bull tags for this central idaho unit. Weather has been typical.....FOR DECEMBER! Colder than hell and lots of snow. An absolute shitload of wolves, howling all around us and a pack growling at us as we were coming off the mountain at night. Have seen a pack of 4 including the jet black alpha male. They were chasing a spike bull at about 730 yards and we just were not set up for the shot. In any case, Jeff and Mark have tagged out and I am still in search of the Boss.......passed a few bulls up and the elk hunting is superb. In all this week we have seen TWO deer. I have all of October to connect but as of now, we have about 3 days of humping meat. To be continued............

Randy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 351

mcr-85

WKR
Damn, looks cold Randy. Good luck getting yourself a bull and you should put a bullet in one or two of those wolves.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having trouble posting photos as service at the greasy burger place is spotty.......

Clarktar

WKR
Randy, I'm ready for an wolf!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
20171005_183953.jpg20171005_161942.jpg20171004_155650.jpg20171006_103803.jpg

20171005_093338.jpg

Have no idea why the photo are sideways but my vcr still flashes 12:00 all the time.........

Randy

P.s......the pink shirt strikes again

Last edited:

daddie63

WKR
Sounds like a great but cold hunt. Best of luck tagging yours. Looking to the rest of the story.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
When we were coming down from this basin, the wolves started howling and couldn't have been more than 100 to 200 yards from us but they were howling at another pack across the canyon and they were going at it. It was surreal and it was a full moon.
So, I howled back and they completely shut up. Guess I don't sound like a wolf.........
So Mark says, "hey, I got a predator call" and starts blowing it. One of the wolves starts growling at us and I say, "maybe this ain't such a great idea." We shut the hell up and beat feet back to camp.

It was dark and my brother was sitting around the fire at our spike camp and he heard them howling and got the recording on his cell phone.

Not sure I can post it but I'll try.

Randy

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man that looks cold. Can't wait to read the rest of adventure. Good luck Randy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PNWGATOR

WKR
Always love your trip reports Randy!!! Congratulations and good luck the remainder of your trip.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a hell of an adventure. We are heading out to the Challis area in a few days. Hunted the Sawtooth area last year and was surprised to see a huge moose out there.

KurtR

WKR
Cant wait to head out there leaving in 3 days going to be a long wait. Looks like a good time and good pics.

If after this hunt you want to put a crew together to go introduce the wolves to some Idaho hospitality count me in!

lang

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome that you guys called the wolves in the dark. Anyone wanting to help with wolves need to check out the Foundation for Wildlife Management. They are making a difference by reimbursing hunters for wolf costs. They are endorsed by the RMEF and Idaho FG.
foundationforwildlifemanagement.org

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Get er done Randy. Super stoked for you guys. Sounds Epic as hell for sure. Wolf hunting would be a blast. Nice rug for in front of the fire place.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
We finally made it back to some assemblance of civilization, not sure that is a good thing though. This is the first time that we/I have killed two bull elk in the backcountry at the same time. Man, it was a PILE of work. Elk were killed about 2 miles from our spike camp down in a bowl and our spike camp was about 4 miles from the trailhead. We always bone everything so a couple of days were spent humping the elk outta the basin, to the top of the hill and then back to camp. We had really cold weather thank goodness so the meat cooled perfectly. Now We had to get our packs and 2 bulls back to the trucks 4 miles down but it was a 2000 foot verticle gain up to camp and we figured another 3 or so days packing. I made the decision to run home and grap my trusty ninja Sherpa.......a 1982 honda trail 110 instead of my horses who weren't legged up or shod. Now, this was not an easy decision for me to do as I don't like atv use for hunting and am vocal against their use. The trail we were on was open to horses, foot traffic and 2 wheel motorbikes only but our camp was another half mile off this main trail with another 500 foot of climb. So, at least their would be some relief as Jeff and Mark shuttled most of the meat down to the intersection where I could pick it up with the ninja Sherpa.
Now, let me tell you all that I ain't no professional bike rider and throw in snow, mud, rocks, wind, steep, roots, ice and well, I think I went down at least 8 times the first day but was way better on the 2nd with no crashes. In any case, the 110 saved our butts and I'm still a bit mixed on using it but all we did was pack meat with it and I guess I can live with that. I managed to make 8 trips with meat so saved about 30 miles of hiking and packing. If any of you want a thrill, grab yourself a tiny little honda trail bike and throw 80 or so pounds of unbalanced meat on it and go find a double black diamond trail with snow and ice on it..............

to be continued............

Randy