My son's 1st Elk

OP
dguthrie85
TraderMike, well the summary version would go like this. That morning we watched several bulls feed ahead of us but could not cut the distance enough for my little man. So we backed out for the morning and headed back in that evening. We set up along what I figured to be the route between the bulls bedding and feeding area. About an hour before last light we decided to take a peek on the other side of the ridge to see if there was anything moving. As soon as we popped over the top I spotted this bull feeding at a little over 200 yards. I had my son look him over and make the call, after seeing the bull and confirming it was a 5 point he smiled and told me he wanted to shoot it(his goal was a 5 point). I got him set up on my shooting sticks and backpack to steady him up as best we could. He took a couple of "practice shots" I guess you could say before he connected. The bull went out of sight down the canyon so we gathered up our stuff and ran down the hill towards the last place we saw him. When we got down there the bull was standing at 50 yards just looking at us. I put up the sticks and my son put another one in him, I am pretty sure he was dead on his feet but as he was attempting to cross a little wash at about 100 yards out he put another one in him and he went down for good. He was so excited, he called his mom right away and she loaded up our other 2 kids and drove up to share the experience with him. We had the whole family on the mountain along with his grandpa and 2 uncles. who came up to help break the bull down and get him out. It was probably way more people than we needed but it was awesome that so many people got to share his awesome night.

CiK01

WKR
TraderMike, well the summary version would go like this. That morning we watched several bulls feed ahead of us but could not cut the distance enough for my little man. So we backed out for the morning and headed back in that evening. We set up along what I figured to be the route between the bulls bedding and feeding area. About an hour before last light we decided to take a peek on the other side of the ridge to see if there was anything moving. As soon as we popped over the top I spotted this bull feeding at a little over 200 yards. I had my son look him over and make the call, after seeing the bull and confirming it was a 5 point he smiled and told me he wanted to shoot it(his goal was a 5 point). I got him set up on my shooting sticks and backpack to steady him up as best we could. He took a couple of "practice shots" I guess you could say before he connected. The bull went out of sight down the canyon so we gathered up our stuff and ran down the hill towards the last place we saw him. When we got down there the bull was standing at 50 yards just looking at us. I put up the sticks and my son put another one in him, I am pretty sure he was dead on his feet but as he was attempting to cross a little wash at about 100 yards out he put another one in him and he went down for good. He was so excited, he called his mom right away and she loaded up our other 2 kids and drove up to share the experience with him. We had the whole family on the mountain along with his grandpa and 2 uncles. who came up to help break the bull down and get him out. It was probably way more people than we needed but it was awesome that so many people got to share his awesome night.

Such a great experience for your son. And you!

What kind of weapon did he use? I have an 8-yr old itching to get on a trigger.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
My 10 year old son was fortunate enough to pull an early bull tag close to home. He hunted hard and was rewarded with this great bull. He set a goal to kill a 5 point or better and made it happen last Friday night. This was his 1st big game hunting experience behind the trigger. Couldn't be prouder of my little man.
Whoa! That's awesome! Congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty darn cool! I also would be interested to know what he was shooting? It's still a ways out for my little guy, but fun to start thinking about.