Less than 2 weeks...

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Until I embark on my first Elk hunt. Headed to the Gila Saturday the 21st. I have no idea what I'm doing, but if all is right, a friend of mine will be coming. This friend of mine is kind of known around the town for not knowing what he's doing either, but he's got grit and has a blind ambition fueled by a need for adventure like me so if he can make it, it will sure help keep our eyes on the prize.

I've got everything laid out ready to go, am confident in my shooting skills, and am ready to do some waking up early, lots of hiking and lots of glassing so we'll see how this goes. I went and scouted the unit during the 4th of July and have an idea on where some water and grassy meadows are so I'm excited to see what they yield.

Because of the unit I am in, it makes more sense to truck camp than to try and backpack in, so that's what we'll be doing. I'm currently wondering if it's worth trying to fill a giant cooler/chest freezer with frozen gallon water jugs and maybe keeping some frozen, "throw on the fire" prepped meals, or if it's safer and less trouble to bring a weeks worth of canned food and mountain house.

Either way I'm excited and somewhat nervous, but despite accepting that I may not get a bull, but I sure as hell am going to give it everything I got so wish me luck!

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I'm currently wondering if it's worth trying to fill a giant cooler/chest freezer with frozen gallon water jugs and maybe keeping some frozen, "throw on the fire" prepped meals, or if it's safer and less trouble to bring a weeks worth of canned food and mountain house.
I would definitely go with pre-made meals that you freeze beforehand over mountain house. If you have a propane stove, you can heat the meals up just as quick as making a mountain house. And you can do this even if you just bring coolers and don't bring the chest freezer. Ideas for meals include chili, spaghetti, tacos, hot dishes, etc.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I would definitely go with pre-made meals that you freeze beforehand over mountain house. If you have a propane stove, you can heat the meals up just as quick as making a mountain house. And you can do this even if you just bring coolers and don't bring the chest freezer. Ideas for meals include chili, spaghetti, tacos, hot dishes, etc.
Gotcha, I shouldn't have a problem keeping then cold a whole week then?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good luck, 2 days left till I'm headed into the woods!

When we trail head camp we'll premade meals and pack in vacuum sealer bags and then just toss them into a pot of hot water to reheat. We'll serve into paper plates/bowls and in the end we have no dishes. :) We just don't want the hassle in the fringe hours we're back at camp. We freeze the stuff before leaving and then toss into coolers with ice, it is thawed out after a couple days but its still cold on ice and good for a week.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha, I shouldn't have a problem keeping then cold a whole week then?

This is what I prefer for truck camping also. If you are wanting to keep some ice jugs, I would put them in a cooler with your premade meals. If there is space left, I will top off with ice if needed. Only open the cooler to retrieve your meals. I haven't ran into an issue where my food has thawed yet.

MH's are faster though, and after a long day if hunting sometimes you may just want a quick meal and your cot.

Best of luck! I just had my first elk hunt last month and it was a blast. Definantly addicting, and they taste great!

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'm prepping meals today to leave Friday. Got me some shredded Canada goose cooked overnight in a slow cooker with some cilantro and lime. On the skillet is a quail and pheasant stir fry and in the oven is a beef roast to cut up. Oh and the girlfriend is making some pasta too.

I'm hoping this works, I have the freezer on to freeze it all solid. Hopefully the jugs and bottles don't burst in the process of freezing and thawing, but what I'm doing is putting the big water jugs in first and filling in the spaces with small water bottles
9e3e309f96ca719d0a12eb7fe420cae1.jpg

TheCougar

WKR
Here’s a tip I got from someone on rokslide: use 2 liter bottles instead of gallon jugs. The gallon jugs tend to leak and break, but 2 liter soda bottles hold pressurized liquid, so they are much more robust. You need to remove about 8oz of liquid to open space in a gallon jug if you don’t want it to rupture. The 2 liters melt faster, but they are way more reuseable and less prone to filling your cooler with water.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a tip I got from someone on rokslide: use 2 liter bottles instead of gallon jugs. The gallon jugs tend to leak and break, but 2 liter soda bottles hold pressurized liquid, so they are much more robust. You need to remove about 8oz of liquid to open space in a gallon jug if you don’t want it to rupture. The 2 liters melt faster, but they are way more reuseable and less prone to filling your cooler with water.
Well it's too late now so I guess I'm just gonna have to send it

TheCougar

WKR
I’d be really surprised if they don’t all burst. On the bright side, you can use all the water for washing blood off your hands.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Update:

I went and got some of the ozarka bottles with the thicker plastic, and by that time the gallon jugs were slightly frozen so I drained out a little from each. If it burst, it burst. I'm just gonna be using them as a way to keep it all cool anyways so if I gotta drain it at the end then I'm not too worried.

OP
TexanSam

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
So guys I'm back from the trip. It was an absolute blast! The water bottles held up fine, and some are still frozen lol.

We hiked roughly 50 miles, saw some giant mule deer, lots of turkeys, cow elk and even a mountain lion, but couldn't seem to find the bulls. We got up early, hiked up high, glassed the deep and nasty canyons, and just couldn't find any mature bulls. That being said, it was miserable, hard work, yet I'm already counting down days until next season!

In the meantime I'll be chasing ducks, geese and cranes the rest of the season with a chance of making a deer trip somewhere. Thanks everyone for the help, and I hope everyone is having a good fall!