Plan B in New Mexico

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
Well my annual freezer cow elk hunt in Utah just fell apart.

I've found some landowner tags in NM but they are unguided and so I need to plan from scratch.

We're going to hunt Unit 53 second week of November. My guess is the cows will have moved down at that time and should be herded up pretty well. Will they be down feasting on private at that point?

Anyone have ideas on where to camp? Any pointers at all would help. Just need a head start on where the cows will be.

Thanks for any help.

Fitzwho

WKR
They'll definitely be herded up. How far down they'll be will depend on the amount of now up high. If you are getting a "nonresident" cow elk tag in NM, you are limited to the ranch you are buying the voucher from. So you will be fairly limited on where you can hunt, unless the ranch is huge. Then I would just find a comfortable place to setup camp with quick access to the entire ranch. You'll just have to put in the time to figure out where they are.

OP
KNPV PSD

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
They'll definitely be herded up. How far down they'll be will depend on the amount of now up high. If you are getting a "nonresident" cow elk tag in NM, you are limited to the ranch you are buying the voucher from. So you will be fairly limited on where you can hunt, unless the ranch is huge. Then I would just find a comfortable place to setup camp with quick access to the entire ranch. You'll just have to put in the time to figure out where they are.

Fitzwho the guy I'm getting the tags from says they are Unit wide and it allows me to hunt the public and all the ranches in the E something it other program. NM is all new to me, does that sound correct for a nonresident?

Pretty positive that a NR can buy a unit wide LO tag, they just can't draw a cow tag in the draw.

If you have a unit wide tag, then you can hunt all public land, any other ranch that gets unit wide tags, and any other private property that you have written permission to hunt on.

Sorry though, I don't have any advice for 53.
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
Guess it was just the one I bought last year in 36 that was for that ranch specifically. Would be something to double check to be safe.

Landowner vouchers are either Ranch Only or Unit Wide. If the ranch opts into the UW vouchers, then anyone with a tag is allowed to hunt any and all of their private land, so a lot of folks stick to RO. That doesn't mean private land only(which is another issue in itself).

OP
KNPV PSD

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
Don't plan on bringing a spotter since I am just looking for cows, but what about binos? I have Viper 10s and Kaibab 15s. Should I bring both? Is it open enough for the 15s? Will road base camp and hike out every day, so weight isn't a huge issue but don't want to carry extra stuff I won't use.