First Elk Hunt

bozeman

WKR
After a 6+ mile horseback ride into the Flat Tops Wilderness, I woke up Sat AM and headed to the designated spot after a quick breakfast (guided hunt). A 1.5 mile horseback ride in the dark (scared to death, but awesome experience) and another .5 mile walk scaling rock walls meant for goats, not a Bama by (another scared to death, but awesome experience). Beginning to see well at 7am and heard the first bugle around 7:45am. Saw 6 bulls and numerous cows, 215 yard shot broadside. 1 shot, lungs and heart, 2nd shot (missed high, shaking like crazy), 3rd shot liver and he stumbled and fell down. Total adrenaline rush and humbled when I walked up in this HUGE and MAGNIFICENT animal. 2 hours to clean and quarter (this is NOT a whitetail), then the guide went back to camp for pack mules. I stayed back and soaked it in while snow started falling just on queue. What a once in a lifetime experience! When this 5x5 finally went down, a BIG 6x6 walked out of the trees and just looked at him, same spot, broadside for over 2 minutes. Me and my guide just watched in amazement, no spook, no concern. To say the least, I am completely amazed at these animals and the beautiful scenery I was able to see for the first time.

Gear:
Kuiu Teton puffy- very warm
Kuiu Insulated zip on pants- very warm
Kuiu Pelaton 240 Hoodie- very warm
Kuiu Pelaton boxer briefs- nice!
Sitka Traverse base bittom- didn’t like fit/feel (will be for sale next week)
First Lite Aerowool bade top- performed very well
First Lite Merino Socks- performed very well
First Lite Uncompraghe- great in 40 mph winds over the Teton
Cabelas Windproof Waterfowl Sweater: worth its weight in gold!
Saloman 4d quest boots (comfortable)

Still looking for a WARM pair of gloves!!!

Gun:
Kampfeld Custom 6.5x284
Handload 140gr partition (2 shots complete pass through with a wound channel half the size of my fist) over 50.5 IMR4831.

Optics:
Leupold HD 10x42
Leupold Vx-i 4.5-14x40

Excellent first elk experience. The guide informed me that this is NOT a typical first elk hunt, but I’ll take it all day long!

Not sure how to post pics yet, but a 5x5!

Luke

Gorp2007

WKR
Congrats! I'm headed to the Flat Tops for 4th season and can't wait! My workplace productivity is dropping dramatically as November gets closer. What guide outfit did you use?

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
Lonetom Outfitters- Paul Janke. No non-sense guy. Had a blast! True wilderness hunt, riding horses and wall tents. Just what I was looking for. Even if I hadn't pulled the trigger, I was very pleased. I would recommend practice shooting and get in shape. The altitude is killer (close to 10,000ft) and climbing hills and side walling will get to you. I have been preparing since March with cardio, lifting weights (lots of squats) and bleachers with backpack and the boots I would be wearing. Also, find a horse to ride if you can........that part got me for sure.

Good luck!