What's up with the power line project in CO GMU 61 and 62? Will it ruin my hunt?

TauPhi111

WKR
I just saw on the National Forest website that a big construction project to upgrade the Montrose-Nucla-Cahone transmission line is now underway, and they issued a warning to those hunting in units 61 and 62. I am going on my first elk hunt in Colorado for the 3rd season and guess where we planned on hunting...yep, 61 and 62. Can anyone shed some light on where the construction actually is, where the line runs, and whether it'll affect my hunting? We were planning on hunting the northern areas of GMU 61 and 62 near the border with 40 where the supposed elk migration corridor is. Is that still a solid plan or do I need to come up with a new Plan A?

elkduds

WKR
61 is a totally limited unit, unless you have that specific license (which takes about 20 points for bull) don't even think of hunting there. Find a CO map, draw a line from Montrose to Nucla, allow a 5-mile-wide swath, that is most likely where the construction will be. That is also in the southern half of 61/62. Good luck this fall, here is a map link:

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Atlas

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
61 is a totally limited unit, unless you have that specific license (which takes about 20 points for bull) don't even think of hunting there. Find a CO map, draw a line from Montrose to Nucla, allow a 5-mile-wide swath, that is most likely where the construction will be. That is also in the southern half of 61/62. Good luck this fall, here is a map link:

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Atlas

Thanks for that heads up. For some reason I thought 61 also had OTC tags. I see now that it doesn't. Guess we'll be staying on the 62 side.