Wyoming Area 64 Archery Elk

Stekewood

FNG
My friend and I are looking at possibly burning our WY points on an archery hunt on some private land in 64. The property is down below Thermopolis and there are some resident elk that frequent it, with some pretty big numbers showing up late Sept/early October. Wondering if anyone is familiar or has experience with the elk in this area and if they are there reliably in September. We don't need giant bulls in order to have a good hunt but we don't want it to be like a caribou hunt where the caribou never show up (been there, done that). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wyosteve

WKR
I haven't hunted that area, but most of the country below/around Thermopolis is open, rolling hills, sagebrush. Not sure why 'big numbers' would 'show up'. I'd dig deep before burning points on that unit.

Trial153

WKR
The west this unit has some fantastic hunting, however that Far East I would make sure that there is a resident population. Having a back up area of public land might make for a solid plan, keeping in mind of you a NR that there is sections on wilderness area.

OP
S

Stekewood

FNG
Thanks guys, appreciate the help. Wyosteve, I was told the area where this property is loads up with elk as they get pushed out of the high country. A couple of guys a year rifle hunt there and kill some really nice bulls. They've shared some pictures of large herds on the ranch in early October but that won't help us if they aren't there in September. I'm with you on the digging deep before burning the points though.....