2nd Season Elk Hunt

sako49541

FNG
Hey guys new to the forum. Wanted to say hi and see if any one had any idea how the elk herd around Craig, Co. are doing. Group of us are going out from Pa to hunt the 2nd season, we herd it had been one of the worst winters in a long time in much of the western states.

Akicita

WKR
Several different resident and migratory herds in the Craig area. They all survived the winter well. The Black Mountain herd is among the largest in the state and will be quite high in and around Bears Ears, Black Mountain, Quaker and other high country areas. You may also find some in the Hole-in-the-Wall Creek basin. Lots of pressure but good hunting with some work and good tactics. The biggest herds will get pushed to private land throughout the remainder of the seasons so positioning is key on the first day and perseverance will be needed for the rest.

Good luck and safe travels!

daemon

FNG
Welcome to the forum, sako! Akicita, you've given some solid leads for sako. Nice work! I'll be in a different part of state next week, but feel that if I wanted to go to Craig, I would have some solid areas to check out. Love this forum!