Unit 27 Idaho Elk Late

Hi all,

I had a September elk hunt get wiped out by crazy snow in the places I wanted to go in the Frank. I'm going to try t(the first weekend in November) he November hunt. I have hunted unit 27 in September and early October, so I have a general feel for the unit, but I'm interested in information from anyone who's hunted elk in the late season there. For anyone that's flown in, how far away from the strips were you seeing elk? How high?

I will be hunting either along the middle fork itself glassing into some higher basins and where they might start moving along the lower country near the river or backpacking into some high elevation/transition range country within a few miles of roads that will be impassable in November.

I'm thinking the elk will follow normal migration patterns, the bigger bulls moving when there's 2 feet of snow with cows going earlier, etc.

I think it's definitely a harder hunt than September in many ways but I know that some still kill elk in November.

Thanks. Feel free to PM.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
It's been a number of years since I did this hunt but always had to climb about 2000 ft of elevation before we got into elk where the ridges start to flatten out a bit. Elk were typically between 6000-8000 ft. Hunted it 3 different years and snow level was never below 6000 ft. This year could be a different story.

GregB

WKR
I was in the Middle Fork in September and got snowed out as well. I went back in with my son last week most of the roads 8000ft + were snowed in and we couldn't drive them even with chains. I was thinking about going back up in November but driving in far enough to even hike into the units might be tough this year. I did already see cows moving down, they were around 6000ft right at the snow line.

OP
I
GregB, when are you thinking of going. I've done some research on the late hunt. PM me.